Why charger failed

This phone charger failed and I would like to diagnose why it failed.

It was running quite warm before it failed.

The one pic looks like some component melted and spread that yellowish-brown residue. Is that a problem?

That yellowish plastic board with components on it....is that a cost saving item?

It looks pretty cheap.

Reply to
AK

No, the "plastic" board is called a "flex" circuit and in this case seems to be used to get the LEDs right up next to the case I suppose. The brown residue looks like solder flux but may be something from inside a part.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Thanks for the help. One side of the charger did light up when it was working.

Andy

Reply to
AK

can't see any thing relevant in any of those photos. Time to buy a light perhaps.

Reply to
tabbypurr

It has two flex circuits in addition to one main board.

The connections are plastic coated. I could test the resistors, but to test any thing else would require scraping off the coating without damaging the copper.

It's not worth the effort.

Andy Andy

Reply to
AK

if you can't show us what the issue is then no.

Reply to
tabbypurr