Orthogonal Fields and Coils

Hi,

Link # 1 :

Link # 2 :

Description: =20 HHcoil size: =20 Pair # 1: Shape: Rectangular=20 Size: 19" long , 10 inches wide Separation between the pair: 8 inches No. of turns : 7=20 AWG : 38 Resonant frequency : 100KHz =20 Pair# 2:=20 Same as pair # 1 Except, Separation between the pair: 5 inches =20 Area of the Enclouser : 19" long, 10inches wide and 12" deep =20 Driver Circuitry:=20 =20 See link # 2 =20 What am I trying to do?=20 =20

  1. I am trying to create a 2D magnetic field of 100KHz by placing two pairs= of HHcoils perpendicular to each other. I am driving these coils in phase.= =20
  2. This magetic field will help to keep the 17 turn, 36AWG, 1" inch diamete= r secondary coil sitting in the magnetic field energized for a rotation fro= m 0 to 90 degree.=20

=20 Questions: =20

  1. Will the magnetic fields generated by two pairs of HHCcoils cancel each = other or support each other? Either Yes or No, How?=20
  2. I did a following experiemnt

I placed HHC (Pair#1) horizontally without mounting the Pair#2 and drove it= with a H bridge as shown in the Link# 2. The power supply current measured= by ammeter was 6A. Than I placed Pair# 2 perpendicularly to the first pair= #1 and drove it with a separate Full H bridge as shown in the Link # 2. I e= xpected the ammeter to display 12A but still showing me 6A.=20 =20 The question is why is it showing 6A? Though the two drivers are driven by = the same clock and I can see that the gate voltages on the NMOSFETS are in = phase. The secondary coil only works when it is in parallel with the horizo= ntal HHC pair (pair # 1) and does not get anything from the pair # 2 when I= slowly rotate it to 90 degrees.=20 =20

The two pairs are perpendular to each other so the mutual inductance should= be zero between the two pairs. I suspesct that the resonant frequency of t= he Two HHC coils changes when I move the secondary coil. Any suggestions!= =20 =20 Jess

Reply to
jsscshaw88

[...]

I think you have just discovered polarization :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Hi,

Please explain more. All I want is to get this system working. I hope its not the dead end.

jess

Reply to
jsscshaw88

the dead end.

Please look at that link, scroll down towards the end to get closer to what you're dealing with..

Basically the magnetic dipoles are at different angles and do not directly influence each other.

I think if you look closer to the link you may get something out of it.

For better information on this, look for Radio wave theory on EM radiation. Particle acceleration also covers a lot of this.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I know how to calculate the field of circular Helmholtz coils separated by their radius. What value do you expect and how did you derive it?

rs of HHcoils perpendicular to each other. I am driving these coils in phas= e.

Do you mean zero phase angle between pair 1 and pair 2?

ter secondary coil sitting in the magnetic field energized for a rotation f= rom 0 to 90 degree.

h other or support each other? Either Yes or No, How?

Magnetic fields add vectorially. If the fields were of equal strength their resultant would point at 45 degrees to both coils' axes.

If the fields were of equal strength and the coil pairs were driven

90 degrees WRT each other the resultant field's strength would remain constant but its vector would rotate in a circle

it with a H bridge as shown in the Link# 2. The power supply current measur= ed by ammeter was 6A. Than I placed Pair# 2 perpendicularly to the first pa= ir#1 and drove it with a separate Full H bridge as shown in the Link # 2. I= expected the ammeter to display 12A but still showing me 6A.

y the same clock and I can see that the gate voltages on the NMOSFETS are i= n phase. The secondary coil only works when it is in parallel with the hori= zontal HHC pair (pair # 1) and does not get anything from the pair # 2 when= I slowly rotate it to 90 degrees.

Sounds like pair # 2 isn't generating a field. Check its driver circuit independently.

ld be zero between the two pairs. I suspesct that the resonant frequency of= the Two HHC coils changes when I move the secondary coil. Any suggestions!

Nitpick- that's an approximation. Notice the vertical segments of both coil pairs are parallel. Shouldn't matter much though.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

[...]

Experiment with two DC magnets AKA permanent magnets. Note that the fields interact without regard to placement (series aiding ("attraction"), series opposing ("repulsion"), or dog in the refrigerator (perp in de cooler). One could say that one of the magnets distorts or disturbs the field of the other. It is easy to hand-draw the results of the DC cases. Use that as a reference and teaching aid.

The changing magnetic field of one coil induces a voltage in the other coil related to distance, angle and frequency...and vice versa.

Reply to
Robert Baer

[...]

I drove the pair# 2 with both drivers with pair # 1 completely removed. An= d it worked fine and did energize the secondary coil when it was in paralle= l with the vertical coil. I observe that when I drive both coils (pair# 1 a= nd pair#2) with two separate drivers at 100 KHz. The pair# 1 resonate at 10=

0 KHz but the pair# 2 does not resonate at 100 KHz. It resonates somewhere = between 85 to 95KHz.=20

jess

Reply to
jsscshaw88

Criminal in the jail?

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

What does that mean?

jess

Reply to
jsscshaw88

I don't think that was intended for you.. ;)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

it worked fine and did energize the secondary coil when it was in parallel with the vertical coil. I observe that when I drive both coils (pair# 1 and pair#2) with two separate drivers at 100 KHz. The pair# 1 resonate at 100 KHz but the pair# 2 does not resonate at 100 KHz. It resonates somewhere between 85 to 95KHz.

Didn't we recommend that you forget resonance and run much lower??

Reply to
Robert Baer

Learning curves can being very sharp and cut :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

No, it wasn't.

Example of Google's threading (or not), I suppose.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

The original quip was "perp in de cooler", which is a phonetic = approximation=20 of "perpendicular". "Dog in the refrigerator" substitutes "pup" for = "perp".=20 And "perp" is short for "perpetrator", as of a crime, and "cooler" is = slang=20 for "jail".

People who engage in such wordplay should be put in the "punitentiary", = or=20 at least be "con fined".

Paul :)=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Hi,

Allright. I can run at much lower frequency. Did you mean that I should keep the Capacitor value at 25nF but use like 80KHz frequency instead of 100KHz. How will it help. The secondary coil is also tuned for 100KHz.

jess

Reply to
jsscshaw88

approximation=20

"perp".=20

slang=20

or=20

Careful, remarks like that can get a Big Dawg like you put in the Dawg House.

?;-)

Reply to
josephkk