opamp sine wave oscillator

How

Like one bottle of Samuel Adams per week?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Win, How was that measured?

My old hp distortion analyzer (can't remember the model number) only worked down to about 0.001% (IIRC).

...Jim Thompson

How

A wee dram of Glenfiddich per week would do just fine. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

How

when

Oh yeah! After some of the booze went bad on our last move (across the pond) we pretty much abandoned the occasional glass of Whiskey or Cognac.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

0.0002% sounds like the -112 dB THD+N, at least for audio frequencies, of really expensive products (but really cool, I'm working with one at a clients site) like this one:
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

How does booze "[go] bad"?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No idea but what we did is pack whatever was in our booze cabinet, estimate how much is in the bottles and declare it all on the customs forms. Meaning most of the bottles had been opened, of course. I guess that and the salty air plus a northerly (frosty) ship route in January didn't exactly help. On top of that the container must have been dropped somewhere, a lot of stuff was squished.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Actually I think Rich was asking how the booze doesn't get consumed immediately it's in your possession, instead being kept for long enough for *anything* else to happen to it :-)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Sure, but it clips on the inputs.

If you keep them nearly fully illuminated, they're better behaved, it's true. I'd still much rather use something else.

;)

Cute--that's like tapping a varactor down on a tank circuit. With an op amp it isn't hard to know the total range of gains you can have, so you can use a vernier control and get better nonlinearity.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What sort of harmonic distortion does a speaker have? I've seen numbers like 6% called "good."

John

Well, visitors mostly drank it. Before leaving Europe for good we did throw one heck of a good-bye party for neighbors and friends but they all wanted beer and wine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

For harmonic distortion, 0.1% is probably below what most people can hear.

Personally I think TIM (Transient Inter-Modulation) from crossover dead-band is more noticeable... particularly when a French Horn and a Clarinet, in a Mozart woodwind ensemble, mix :-( At least 35 years ago I demonstrated that a nearly ideal class-AB output stage could be obtained, with much reduced TIM. I couldn't get anyone interested in funding a chip. Maybe in my retirement I'll run a batch thru MOSIS and then run it up the flag-pole ;-)

...Jim Thompson

A very familiar picture :)

- Our device is more accurate then HP!

- Wow! How did you verify that?

- We verified that with HP!

It largely depends on the excursion of the cone, which is higher at low frequencies. Can be anywhere from ~10% at low to 0.1% or so at the middle to high frequencies. For the speakers, the IMD is much more representative parameter then the THD.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

And what about the human ear?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Heh. :-) Actually, I wasn't thinking that at all - if the seals leaked, the alcohol could evaporate, and I can see wine turning bad, but I've never considered wine (or beer) to be "booze."

And, of course, there's some truth there - it's why I don't try to get into microbrewing or bootlegging - I don't know if I could make the stuff as fast as I could drink it! ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Vodka, brown sugar, and seltzer tastes just like root beer. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 11:55:13 -0500 in sci.electronics.design, Phil Hobbs wrote,

Maybe for the ROHS version you could use a light bulb.

Reply to
David Harmon

Actually the alcohol oxidizes rather than evaporates. My son just had to chuck out a 25L batch of home-brew that he left in the vat for too long without bottling it, and the seal had failed. It tasted pretty bad! So the same happens with beer. It's why wine makers have turned to screw-caps...

Reply to
Clifford Heath

IIRC, the hp generators have worse specs than that, although some may be able to measure better than their spec, e.g., to 10ppm. I have three Krohn-Hite distortion analyzers, purchased on eBay, that can do quite a bit better than that, 3 - 4ppm, IIRC, but our oscillator's 2ppm distortion was measured on Paul's xxx analyzer, which he got at the Flea at MIT. I'll get the detailed info and post it. I don't know how well the better Audio Precision distortion analyzers can do, but I think it's very well indeed.

Reply to
Winfield

I think you may be down at the limit of the opamps and resistors etc. For that matter this sounds like it also down at the limits of the measurement system.

Reply to
MooseFET