One for the MIT alumni

  • WRONG! The light bulb is a neon light. ZERO current will flow!
Reply to
Robert Baer

There's a BIG difference between an "established company" and a "startup hopeful".

Reply to
Don Y

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I'm certain that I saw a candelabra-type INCANDESCENT light bulb. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

I think a while back you posted a simple emitter follower circuit that you had potential hires analyze. I showed it to a couple guys I know who nominally went to school for EE; two with bachelors and one working on a PhD. All in their 20s.

PhD guy got it pretty much correct, the other two didn't have much of a clue. And no, they weren't all liberals from New England.

I feel like that liberal arts courseload that I did most of at a crunchy New England college, where men and women used the same bathrooms like some fashion of commies, worked out fairly well for me.

Reply to
bitrex
[snip]

Obviously so >:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

THE LAW: Any President, including PEOTUS Trump, is specifically excluded from the federal conflicts of interest law. The issues he is dealing with are not legal issues, but APPEARANCES of conflicts.

If you work in the right industries it's pretty great. As I mentioned it's not as if there aren't tons of tech companies still here, they just aren't doing hardware much anymore.

If you work in life sciences or software (preferably both) the employers will hunt you down.

bitrex

I do make money working in tech, which is more than a lot of actual tech graduates can say.

It's not that your analysis didn't work out in the limit case on the negative capacitor, it's just that assuming the current source had infinite real impedance and that the impedance looking into the input port was entirely transconductance-independent...was not mathematically justified...

Reply to
bitrex

Anyone who claims to be an ee should be able to correctly answer the basic questions, but the questions are starting points for conversation. There's lots more to say about both circuits, fun to discuss with someone who really understands electronics.

It's tragic how many ee seniors and grads are helpless about these simple basics.

I can't relate to most liberal arts studies; they are fuzzy and meaningless to me. I'm just finishing up reading a popular sociology text (taken in small doses) and it looks mostly like nonsense to me.

Our new facility will have separate mens and ladies rooms, by popular demand (of the ladies.)

lunatic fringe electronics

Of course it was justified.

Show us _your_ analysis with non-infinite impedances and with some current-source capacitance... if you can >:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

It's because they have too much theory and not enough hands-on practice. Theory is great to have, and maybe the first year or so should be devoted to it. But then it should be on to designing things. And as I mentioned it shouldn't be one semester-long project where the outcome is pre-determined and you just have to make the thing. It should be like, one smaller task every week or two weeks. "Design a two-stage transistor amplifier with a gain of this and these other specs, and send in the SPICE output. Extra points awarded for elegant design."

If a liberal arts student can have the entirety of their coursework judged on many subjective qualities beyond spelling and grammar, then an engineering student certainly can deal with it.

You can't learn math by staring at equations. I don't think you can learn to design circuits by answering problem sets.

Literature and the arts are great and I'm glad that college expose kids to those things. Not everyone is cut out for engineering and the sciences and that's fine - I'm definitely not cut out to be a chef, graphic artist, or author. I originally didn't think I was cut out to mess with electronics, maybe I'm still not. That's cool.

Amazingly enough, if you raise kids from the outset to be respectful of other's boundaries and not behave like punks, you can have young adults of different genders use toilet stalls and brush their teeth next to each other for years without anything (that I'm aware of) untoward happening. It saves money on construction costs too, for colleges with a small endowment.

As a man it's also a nice feeling to be around young women who gave us the benefit of the doubt, and don't automatically assume we're all degenerate sexual predators unable to restrain ourselves from assault if we should incidentally see an unclothed boob.

Trump probably would've been expelled - seems like he's got a few "boundary issues"

Reply to
bitrex
[snip]

We all know where Trump was educated...

We don't know where bitrex was "educated" except that it's clear he couldn't get admitted where Trump was educated.

I find it amusing that bitrex drops back to sociology dodges when asked a technical question >:-} ...Jim Thompson

THE LAW:    Any President, including PEOTUS Trump, is specifically
excluded from the federal conflicts of interest law. The issues he
is dealing with are not legal issues, but APPEARANCES of conflicts.

That is simply grotesque! How can any school confer an EE degree on someone so clueless? Something must be seriously broken in your degree accreditations.

When you said "emitter follower" I assumed you'd at least be asking an interesting question, like "what is the output impedance?" or "how will this handle a capacitive load?"

Sigh.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The ladies aren't concerned about sexual predators, they just want clean, dry toilets.

lunatic fringe electronics

Ones living off the government teat, sure.

Reply to
krw

Actual answers:

The base voltage is 0.6.

The transistor is saturated, so the collector voltage is zero.

The transistor is saturated, so the emitter voltage is 10.

But most young ee's just mumble excuses.

lunatic fringe electronics

Say what?

The base voltage is 5v. The collector voltage is 10v. The emitter voltage is 5v-0.6 = 4.4v

Better sack yourself :)

I'm no ee, but this is kindergarten electronics.

Should also ask:

"What is the emitter current?" "What more do you need to know to calculate the base current?" "How much will the emitter voltage change if you add a 1K load?"

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Those weren't *my* answers!

Not many kindergarten kids could answer them. Or many ee seniors.

As noted, the questions can be the starting point for discussion. I can find all I need to know about a candidate in a couple of minutes, or at least enough to show him the door.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think he meant that those are the answers he got to the questions. I hope.

Reply to
tom

I am very much relieve :)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

There was also a regular E10 bulb, which appeared to want about 4 times the voltage that the D cell was giving.

Flame-shaped bulbs are available in 3V, presumably with E10 bases.

Jasen Betts