On air Digital Video Recorder

I live within a few miles of dozens of TV broadcasting stations. I have no need for cable. I get my TV broadcasts for free.

I have been using my VCR to record late night shows or to record shows that are conflicting with other shows that I watch.

Now that we will be switching to HDTV next year, I have gotten the converter box for my analog TV. It works just fine. But it is very inconvenient to record using this box and I can only access one program at a time.

I've been looking for a DVR that can function exactly as my VCR. There are plenty out there that use DVDs for recording. But that is a waste of money and creates landfill as I only need to look at the program once.

I know there are plenty of gizmos to attach to PCs that will take on-air broadcasts and record them to a HD. But then you need to dedicate a PC for that purpose along with the large power drain it imposes.

Any reason, other than economics, that a HD driven substitute for a VCR is not available? At least not to my knowledge.

Any held would be appreciated.

al

Reply to
alchazz

You can also use RAM disk or DVD-RW disks as scratchpads.

Google is your friend...

HDTV capable as well (which is still rare) ordinary DTV disk based systems are already on supermarket shelves in the UK.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

You need TiVo.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Look into old D-VHS units. Quite impressive.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Since you are posting to a *design* group, I assume you can assemble stuff yourself. Buy an ATSC tuner card (PCI/PCIe), then

Next time you have a question about off-the-shelf consumer gear, take it to the rec.* hierarchy where it belongs. If it about video gear, find a group with *video* in its name.

JeffM

** ?Landfill"? Use RW type and they will last quite a while...
Reply to
Robert Baer

What you want is a PVR (Personal Video Rrecorder), in Australia here the shops are full of them, they are massively popular.

Available in SD and HD versions, it's basically what you call a "converter box" but it has a hard drive to record the programs. The more expensive ones have dual tuners so you can record two shows at once while also playing one back something else. If you use it as your HD veiwing box then you can do cool stuff like pause live TV.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

That's a cable DVR. The OP appears to want one with OTR capability.

The UK and Australia (according to Mr. Jones) may have these things on the store shelves, but here in the USA, they appear to have mysteriously disappeared.

My brother was looking at upgrading from a nice Sony analog DVR, what with the impending cutover. He told me that he had seen a digital model with the equivalent features about a year ago. But he waited for better prices, more features. But now, the digital models have disappeared and used models are getting scarce. That's based upon his research.

I may end up building him a MythTV box, but that's about all that's left.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com:

WalMart sells a DVR receiver-DVD burner that has a 160G hard drive. You'll need an antenna,preferably amplified.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

There's the Philips DVDR3576H DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc and Built-In Tuner

Andy

Thanks. I'll have to tell my brother to look into this. Google found the

80GB model at WalMart on sale for clearance. Not sold on-line, so he'll have to run in and see what they've got near him.

One has to be careful about sending the technical neophytes out to shop for things like these. Quite a few stores are trying to clear old analog equipment off the selves. Although they are supposed to inform customers that they are being sold old NTSC equipment, if you don't ask the correct questions, they'll send you out the door with the wrong stuff.

Salesman: "Digital Tuner? Yes, it has a digital tuner. See the 7-segment channel number display on the front? That's digital."

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

+Groups&num=100

I built a MythTV box using MythBuntu. I've gone bonkers trying to get it to work. So I'm looking for something off the shelf. I check with a local supplier of HDTV equipment and he told me such an item is not available as far as he knows and that if I fo find one, let him know.

Al

Reply to
alchazz

< snip >

Hey, looks good! I'll check it out further.

Now why couldn't I find that myself?

Thanks.

Al

Reply to