OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:38:52 -0700) it happened Joel Koltner wrote in :

I used Software Toolworks C80 C compiler on a z80 CP/M system. Not only did it fit on a 250 kB floppy, it it took little space to compile complicated code in less than 48 kB (kilo byte) RAM.

I still have some of those old sources, but the 5 1/4 inch floppy with that compiler no longer wanted to load (read error).

I have often wondered why all the gcc crap gets so big. And that C80 compiler had a floating point lib too. Mind you, integer was 16 bits... I leaned to write code in a minimal C set, since those days my programs are very portable... And it has in line asm too....

Much of the extension to the C language is perhaps to cater for those who cannot program or have amnesia, or even worse altzheimer,

In those day you still had to worry about not using too many spaces and linefeeds else the RAM would fill up too fast. Unfortunately the modern script kiddies seem to think spaces are still expensive, and write C without those whenever possible. #include #include main(int argc,char**argv){int i,many=10,half_a_bit=2;for(i=0;i

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:44:44 +1100) it happened Chris Baird wrote in :

False pretence, if it runs X thne it runs at a fixed framerate and will drop frames on video. Apple uses that chip in a different way I may hope.

Wrong, you should have mentioned Amiga, that one actually had genlock IIRC. The rest not. Apple? Whats apple, did not Adam and Eve start out with an Apple too?

;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It did although I believe it was stuck at a ~15.75kHz line rate. I.e., the locking was meant to support the small variations in line rate that you'd get coming out of video recorders or cheap cameras, but it didn't support markedly different frame rates.

Why is X limited to a fixed frame-rate, though? It seems like having an API to deal with an adjustable frame-rate would be a pretty straightforward addition?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

On a sunny day (Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:08:29 -0700) it happened Joel Koltner wrote in :

It can be fixed, I gave the link some time ago,

Better would be to let the chip handle it, There are so many frame rates and formats these days, having solutions and modelines for the X server for each one would be problematic, Running mplayer or xine in X and having it doing resizing deinterlacing perhaps and aspect correction just to name a few things, but then playing

50 Hz movies on a 60 Hz system does NOT make a real media player. Maybe people got used to it, just like they got used to low bitrate mp3, and highly compressed video.... Technology moving backwards.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Better use Xming if you want to use X 'remotely'. Works like a charm and its pretty cheap.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Koltner

IIRC.

=20

=20

=20

an=20

playing

I am not quite sure what you are going on about here. Handbrake (thanks to underlying tools) can convert between the two. With enough processor power it can do it at real time and faster rates. It hurts S/N a bit, = but where were you in the meantime?

Reply to
josephkk

I use Cygwin for the X server and Putty for the serial client. Works great. I even run my accounting system remotely over SSH when I'm away.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It isn't. "Someone is Wrong on the Internet."

Most desktops today have disabled the "Ctrl-Alt-plus" binding for changing screen mode on the fly, but you can put it back in, and software that uses SDL often changes screen mode to what it wants.

More than once in the same post, too..

The Amiga wasn't mentioned because it wasn't a system that your common (teenage) self-taught programmer could get into-- it was a starter in trend for personal computers being /too hard/ to program. It took a significant amount of effort to get into programming the Amiga to do anything more than the completely trivial like could be done in the feature-bereft AmigaBASIC.. You want to plot that classic 3D 'eggcarton' graph? Yeah, you were looking at 2000 lines of 68000 assembly, or 250 lines of C, that had to hook into the system libraries with pointers.. I don't personally know of _one_ person who got started in programming on the Amiga-- they all started on Micros, or TurboPascal on the PC.

Whereas the 8-bitter triumvirate I mentioned can give you neat results from programs small enough to print on one page. Dozens of computer magazines were published for exact that.

The Apple][ was the first really popular machine with high-resolution graphics, and got a lot of amateur programming action. HGR2 : HCOLOR=7 : FOR I=0 TO 191 : HPLOT 0,I TO I,0 TO 191,191-I TO 191-I,191 : NEXT

--
Chris
Reply to

it's big because it's got too many features.

It deon't convert C directly into machine language, but goes through at-least 5 steps along the way, this is so that features only need to be develped once to be available for different platforms or different languages,

IIRC there's a compile-time option for size of int on some platforms. I think for AVR you can choose 8 or 16 bits. (8 is of course non-standard)

you say that like you think C is for people who cant't handle assembler :)

the ISO C features don't cost you anything in the size of the output if you don't use them, they only cost in compiler bloat.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I think it does xrandr changes the display geometry, and xvidtune does (or did) the same sort of thing at a lower level tweaking the CRTC counter limits and pixel clock

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:57:24 +1100) it happened Chris Baird wrote in :

You not even understand the problem. I have one system here with more modelines then you have ever seen in XF86Config, and yes you can change between them with ctrl alt +/- That is not the point, and not even that not every monitor will like that, The point is locking the frame rate of the X server to the video played. I gave a good link that explains it, try reading it, The other point is that people happily play 50 Hz video on a 60 Hz display these days, and then dare call that configuration a 'media player'. lack of real knowledge about video.

Video, on the PC, in this time and age is mostly a joke. That is why real media players exist, and those work in a very different way.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If you have a TFT screen then the controller inside the TFT screen will convert the incoming frame rate to the frame rate native to the TFT panel. You are jumping through hoops for nothing.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Thank f*ck those days are over.

Boo

Reply to
Boo

On a sunny day (Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:00:52 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

That depends on the type of TFT monitor. And actually also on the type of screen. And there is the start of it all, 'that 'controller' you talk about. Still the X server frame refresh is not normally locked to the frame change, only, as I pointed out if special measures are taken. On top of that, if you have a LCD teevee with VGA input then

50 Hz is NOT a VGA standard, adding even more problems. So then there are the guys running a 60 Hz display, probably most of the peesees, and feeding that with HDMI into the latest LCD TV, and then play a 50 Hz movie on it. I have tried all that to see what happens, and it is shit. I had, as referring to 'controller' a litte few inch 12 V composite in monitor. It did 50 Hz no problem, as it would just PAL decode and refresh the LCD at that rate, Those TFTs are simple analog in RGB and you can control the scanning. Nothing was 'converted'. The big LCD TVs and monitors do indeed conversion, are basically a frame store, but even those have to flip in a new frame in sync, else you get a tared picture, It is amazing how little people really know about video these days, And then do not even get me started on interlace.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

...and even if you DO match the frame rates you are still watching a film originally shot at 24 Hz. Do you ever notice how films on TV are "really shit"? No: that shows how silly the argument is. There's sufficient latency in the eye's response that at these kinds of frame rates a slightly inconsistent frame rate is a complete non-issue. You can always imagine problems if you want, but the average user doesn't care because it isn't a problem that exists in any real-world sense.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

I'd simply like the audio to be properly synchronised to the video.

We've lost something in the change to digital transmission, govt talks of the "digital dividend", but that spectrum space they can now auction off to mobile Internet for fondleslab users and their bandwidth eating but mostly mindless entertainment.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:53:37 +1100) it happened Grant wrote in :

Audio and video packets are transmitted with a timestamp. If the hardware is correct then it should sync AV playback. Does not always seem to happen, I have a DVD player that on mono files sometimes delays left or right, creating echo. Also for different hardware the overall delays may be different, result is that if you have 2 teafees in one room, one may be earlier than the other, echo again. Think buffer size (cache).

If you play from the PC with mplayer or xine you can adjust AV sync from the keyboard in small steps.

If you take the audio frown the PC and send the video via a VGA cable to a VGA capable TV (or HDMI) then, as the TV needs extra time to decode the picture, you need to apply a lot of correction. In case of my DVD player ejecting the DVD and then starting it again fixes it,,, Reboot..

Media are used to control the masses. As Caesar did with bread and games, What movies are played, and when, is chosen so to make the mood. Most are controlled by US media companies, and the movies rotate from one country to an other (the few movies they have), today on BBC, tomorrow on ARD, etc etc. Rupert Murdoch To control the masses is not bad, but once you get a satellite dish and see the viewpoints of some other countries it becomes very clear you are being lied to and manipulated all the time. The fight is now to control the internet, make it a one way brain dead control channel. Later there will be chip implants in the brain at birth... There is no limit.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (15 Mar 2012 05:07:28 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

No I was referring to C++ Cannot stand it. It is a crime against humanity.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Ain't that the truth. I thought it was a feechur of DISH but now that I have cable, I get this benefit all the time.

And the TeeVee isn't *all* mindless entertainment?

BTW, you do understand that when the government speaks of the "digital dividend" they're talking about *their* dividend; more money to redistribute.

Reply to
krw

Spoken like someone unwilling to learn something new. C++ actually offers a lot to avoid common mistakes made in C. When used right you can create more robust programs and cut down on time wasted on debugging.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel