Old Engineers

EE Times has a funny blog on old engineers.

Wanderer

If you're productive enough, you get to keep going. If not, better try to buy a taqueria once you hit 40. Here's a local guy who would be 99 by now if he's still above ground. He was a chemist by education, but worked with semiconductors since the Shockley days:

San Jose Mercury News, Calif., Silicon Valley Dispatches Column. (Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News)

May 22, 2000 | Cassidy, Mike | Copyright

May 19--HP WORKER TOOK EARLY RETIREMENT -- AT AGE 87:

Bob Teichner was a loyal Hewlett-Packard guy who figured he had 10 good years left in him. But when that early-retirement package came around, he was tempted.

More than tempted. He took it. After all, he'd done his bit.

"They call it early," Teichner says. "It's not early for me."

Good point. Teichner is 87.

"I've been working since 1934," he says of a career that started with a Buffalo chemical company. "That's 66 years."

This is a guy, who when he talks about having survived Y2K, he's not talking about some program he wrote or some fix he designed. He means him. Bob Teichner =85

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Crude and rude. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Awful writing, crude and coarse content. Most of the electronics mags are going downhill fast, and EE Times must be desperate for content to post unprofessional, unedited trash like that.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

I was not impressed either. Good humor has to be a surprising mixture of truth and absurdity. He just used a sledgehammer to voice bitterness.

Reply to
brent

I'm old (physically only, thank God). Some here use derogatory terms like "geezer", but I'm having fun still designing, getting patents and receiving accolades from engineers younger than my children, so you don't have to quit, unless you want. I prefer my father's attitude, work at what you love until you drop. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Jack Benny said he'd never retire, because after his friends had retired, they died. So he said he'd never retire. Oddly, he did retire and shortly died thereafter.

It is my understanding that forced retirement age started when some Ch Bd couldn't fire his Pres, so came up with this new scheme of ousting him. He could get mandatory retirement age through, but not fire the guy.

Reply to
Robert Macy