Freescale: dorky, unpronouncable products

I mean, who's going to go into a meeting and suggest using stuff like Qorivva or QorIQ Qonverge or Vybrid?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser drivers and controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

They probably got them from the same marketing men who gave the world QinetiQ. s/Q/K/ and you will get it. Including the capitalisation too:

A bit like s/J/I/ in Dutch & Polish.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

They could have at least made it a palindrome.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The world's first palindrome:

"Madam, I'm Adam"

--
VWW
Reply to

Somebody who has an application where the Freescale products work better th= an the competitions?

Electronics design isn't about putting together harmonious collections of e= asily pronounced names, and anybody who did real electronics, as opposed to= bespoke catering to physicists' prejudices, would be aware of this.

And my low distortion oscillator is doing fine, though I could do with a so= urce of 12-pin RM14 coil formers. Farnell claimed to stock them, but delive= red 10-pin parts labelled with the EPCOS 12-pin part number, and are now pr= omising delivery of the real thing in week 40 (October).

I may be able to get one of the Ferroxcube equivalents from Japan or Switze= rland, but neither distributor has got back to me yet.

--=20 Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
A rose, by any other name would smell as sweet, so maybe some of the
folks who suggest using stuff from Agilent and Avago?

At least it's not APT's "Thunderblot" [sic] IGBTs. (Yes, read the datasheets, they say "blot"!)

Tim

Tim Williams

When we had to come up with a fancy, unused, product name for my former employer , It was a form of DIFFICULT which rhymes with "WITCH". Not easy to do, to find a new trademarkable name. We finally found one that stood the "Google" test, meaning a Google search returned something like "Whats that, we can't find it?"

I feel sorry for the medical guys, some of the unique names they have to come up with are just plain wierd. They ran out of the good stuff long ago. What is /was a "Zoloft" for example, before they picked it for the name. I cant find it in English.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts

the competitions?

easily pronounced names, and anybody who did real electronics, as opposed to bespoke catering to physicists' prejudices, would be aware of this.

You make it sound like having customers is a Bad Thing.

But few of my customers are physicists. Physicists don't often have a lot of money to spend.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yeah the drug co's get it hard, Mycoxafloppin & Madixadroopin are also taken.

Reply to
Dennis

Hey, that's a great line. Did you make that up?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

My disgust at marketing types grows bigger every year.

Reply to
miso

the competitions?

easily pronounced names, and anybody who did real electronics, as opposed to bespoke catering to physicists' prejudices, would be aware of this.

I wonder what makes you think that? For the record, having customers is the fundamental good thing, and I'd love to have a few, but not enough to flatter nitwits in the hope of turning them into customers.

So the guys who put together the National Ignition Facility weren't physicists?

Or $4 billion isn't much money?

You've boasted about selling stuff to them.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

And who but a marketing type would get worried by the names of of the stuff he was going to have to try to sell.

Engineers worry about how the parts are going to perform, not what they sound like in a sales presentation.

--
Bill Sloman,
Reply to

--
You mean you don't know???
Reply to

than the competitions?

easily pronounced names, and anybody who did real electronics, as opposed to bespoke catering to physicists' prejudices, would be aware of this.

fundamental good thing, and I'd love to have a few, but not enough to flatter nitwits in the hope of turning them into customers.

Well, your standards are pretty high. You would no doubt consider most of my customers to be nitwits. Since they would probably consider you to be an inflexible fathead, you'll both be happier staying away from one another. Best to stick to designing oscillators that nobody wants.

I did meet a few, but at my level it was an engineering problem, and I mostly worked with engineers. All we had to do was make trigger pulses around the site, and poke some waveforms into some lithium niobate Mach-Zehnder modulators.

More like 6e9, I've heard. They did buy our building.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There must, somewhere, be programs for treatment of the terrible affliction of ironic impairment.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

They didn't want your money anyway.

Reply to
hamilton

--
Surely you could benefit from one, so I'll take a look around and see
what's available. :-)

ke

ter than the competitions?

s of easily pronounced names, and anybody who did real electronics, as oppo= sed to bespoke catering to physicists' prejudices, would be aware of this.

the fundamental good thing, and I'd love to have a few, but not enough to f= latter nitwits in the hope of turning them into customers.

Perhaps not. You may be better than the alternatives.

Your ideas about what your customers might think may not be as far out of t= ouch with reality as your ideas about evolution or global warming, but I'm = still not going to lose any sleep about them.=20

I'd be surprised if there was much of market for the oscillator I'm now try= ing to put together. Getting good amplitude stability and low harmonic cont= ent does mean spending money on expensive components, so it isn't going to = be cheap, though it does look as if it's going to be cheap way of getting t= he quality the simulations suggest it may offer. =20

icists?

I hadn't realised that you'd had to sell it.

--=20 Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman