Mains off warning

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any websites that have circuit diagrams for a mains warning alarm that sounds when the mains is off?

We occasionally find that the circuit breaker trips for a circuit in the kitchen and if left unnoticed, the food in the freezer could thaw out.

Thanks.

--
M.Joshi
Reply to

I would be inclined to keep a nightlight on the cricuit.

I know you can buy specific freezer temp warning alarms at places like Lee Valley.

Anonymous

Aquarium owners use a device which does exactly what you require, I suggest you check out some fishkeeping websites.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

If you want to do it yourself, it would just need a mains voltage relay, and a battery powered alarm sounder ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Which would be good for when the power goes out *AND ALSO* when the _freezer_ goes out.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

If practical, consult an electrician about having the wiring and/or breaker changed. In most jurisdictions, it's permissible to have an outlet on a circuit dedicated to refrigerator or freezer use *not* be on a GFCI (which are the source of most "nuisance trips" such as this) for exactly this reason. Even if it isn't on a GFCI (which all kitchen convenience outlet circuits should be), the fact that it's tripping indicates that there's some problem -- perhaps the circuit is overloaded or the breaker is faulty.

--
--------------------

Alan "A.J." Franzman

Email: a.j.franzman [ A T ]  verizon [ D O T ] net

--------------------
Reply to
Alan 'A.J.' Franzman

Hi...

And though it doesn't address the specific question, put a frozen ice cube in a closed zipper bag in the freezer. Should the power fail while you're out long enough to warm the freezer's contents and then come back on, the ice cube will be a puddle of frozen water rather than a cube.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

That's a novel idea Ken, but I reckon that the freezer would have to be off for longer than the average outage, here in the UK at least, for the ice cube to melt. Most freezers will hold up for getting on for 24 hours I believe, provided you don't disturb them by opening the door.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Well, that was his (unstated) intent: If the ice cube is still "sound", then the freezer contents are probably sound. If you find you have a frozen "puddle", then the freezer was off long enough to ruin the stored contents.

Jonesy

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Circuit breakers don't trip for no reason. Find the cause and fix it rather than resorting to a workaround, you'll be happier in the long run.

In particular, put the fridge/freezer on its' own circuit breaker. The inrush current when the compressor starts is probably close to the circuit breaker's rating and anything else on the circuit would likely cause the breaker to trip. Also the more times the breaker trips, the less amperage it takes to trip it the next time. Breakers are de-rated over time, and an old appliance and an old circuit breaker are not a good combo.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

M.Joshi wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com:

Simple: Neon bulb connected to mains illuminates CDS cell or photodiode. Aformentioned light sensor biases trasnistor off, fixed trasnistor biases base on. Trasnistor controls beeper module. LV side powered by couple AA cells, as required for the beeper.

Two: Small plugin trasnformer: Trickle charges rechargeable battery. Biases PNP trasnistor off, resistor to pull PNP trasnistor on. Trnasistor controls beeper, powered by rechargeable battery.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Extremely simple:

You need a small, normally-closed relay powered by the mains, or by a DC "wall wart" connected to the mains.

Wire its normally-closed contacts to a battery and buzzer.

Mains power keeps those contacts open and keeps the buzzer from sounding.

Reply to
mc

M.Joshi wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com:

A UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) like APC makes usually beeps when on battery. If you have an extra one (bad battery?) you could plug it in to the same outlet and let it chirp away when the breaker trips. Plug a clock in to it so some current is being used, and your problem is solved with all commercially available devices. :-)

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

I said that a few posts up ... ;-)

Arfa