O.T. AoE x-Chapters, 20% discount

EE schools, after WWII, got jealous of the fame and fortune that physicists had suddenly acquired, so decided to get academic and rigorous, to abstract everything, to cover pages with mathematical proofs.

The top level gift of AoE to our profession is the public announcement that electronics is art.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Electronics had evolved quite a bit, during the Second World War as evidenced by the MIT Rad Labs books.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I have the full set! That was pretty much the invention of modern electronics.

Interestingly, most of the guys who designed microwave radar were physicists.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Before we got more into technology licensing, I made quite a good living for a decade or so, cleaning up the messes left by folks who were reluctant to do their own math, even when their livelihood depended on it.

Weird.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have them all in PDF, plus a simple HTML index that I wrote for the series.

It was no longer pure research after the war. It was beneath them so, someone else had to take on the work. :)

Reply to
Michael Terrell

denced by the MIT Rad Labs books.

.

I used to do path loss calculations, for entertainment. Pages of calculatio ns done by hand, to ensure enough margin at CATV headends to add additional C-band receivers without degrading signal quality. I designed a complete r emote interface between two CATV systems. I built the equipment into a larg e NEMA electrical cabinet that was pole mounted. The total system error was -.25dB. The goal was +/-10dB. It turned out that several cables had never had a connector installed, and there was more that the expected contact res istance. The lead tech just laughed, and buttoned up the NEMA box.

I wrote software to design CATV distribution systems (Strand Maps) on a Com modore 64 computer, in the mid '80s. Everyone else claimed it could only be done on a VAX, or mainframe. my software allowed you to select any brand and type of coax, connector or hardware from menus, without reloading the system. I wrote it during a time of severe shortages in the industry. Thank God, we never had to buy more o f those crap Lindsay branded devices made in Canada. Instead of the 'F' con nectors being cast into the faceplate, they used a thin aluminum plate with tin plated brass 'F61' panel mount connectors. That was a lousy combinatio n for exposed connectors along busy roads in snow country.

Math keeps your mind in good health, much better that being useless to anyo ne because you rarely think. The world have too many 'Dr. Smiths' of 'Lost in Space' fame who rant how smart they are, and how stupid the world really is. The world is better off without those who are unwilling to contribute . :)

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Just so.

Why am I not surprised.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

CUP have started shipping orders in the UK.

Reply to
JM

I just got the notice that my credit card has been charged :-)

Reply to
Dave Platt

My copy arrived today, so I guess anyone in Europe who ordered direct from CUP should get theirs within the next couple of days (they ship via DHL).

Reply to
JM

Whoa, lucky you! Paul and I haven't even gotten our on-order boxes of books yet.

BTW, reminder, CUP's 20% discount is over 29 February. "use code AEX2019P at the checkout to receive a 20% discount!"

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Reminds me of a conversation not long before I got internet. 'You can email people as much as you want for nothing' 'But I don't spend 25 a month on mail' (or however much it was) It seemed sensible at the time :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Update, I received three orders of books today, at work and at home. The shipping is underway.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Awesome--looking forward to reading it. But what will you two now that you' ve grown up? ;)

Cheers

Phil "40 FIXMEs and holding" Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

What will you two? Do do diligence needed.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Mine arrived today, just in time for the long weekend! I saw the delivery notification, but couldn't figure out what was going to be delivered!

Reply to
artie

Enjoy your weekend. Report back!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It's heeeeerrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee! :-)

Reply to
Dave Platt

Just a heads up to anyone in the UK - Amazon are currently selling AoE3

often leave a copy with my clients.

Reply to
JM

I've received not only the books I ordered from CUP, but also today the books I had pre-ordered from Amazon. So they're finally rolling out. Happy reading folks!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win