AoE x-Chapters 3x.18, audio power transistors

 I've been too busy lately, working on the
 book, to look at the conversations around
 recent x-Chapter draft postings, but will
 get time soon.  Meanwhile, an email from
 our editor prompted a post this morning:

 Power Transistors for Linear Amplifiers,
 3x.18, will be elevated back to its proper
 position as a full-blown section of its own,
 now keyed as \xahead, and not merely \ahead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vaesyvrgcvdgjg6/3x.17_3x.18_DRAFT.pdf?dl=1

 The DRAFT is pre-fix.  Check out Table 3x.6,
 and study the graphs in Figures 3.117 and
 3x.118, what an interesting set of curves!
 I gathered candidate parts, Paul took SMU
 measurements, polished graphs in Illustrator.

 I look forward to seeing suggestions and
 comments from the DIY audiophile crowd.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: AoE x-Chapters 3x.18, audio power transistors
Hi Win, I just want to say how great it is that you and Paul are
doing all this.
(I was going to complain about graph 3.x118... but then connected it to
3.x117.  I tend to look at the graphs/ schematics first and then read the
words.)

George H.

Re: AoE x-Chapters 3x.18, audio power transistors

** The lateral mosfets you mention ( 2SK1058 ) are from Hitachi, now Renesa
s not Toshiba.

Toshiba do or at least did make vertical types ( 2SK405 ) with low gate thr
esholds claimed to be suitable for audio output stages - but of course suff
ered from all the usual drawbacks of thermal runaway, needing source ballas
t resistors plus matched sets for parallel operation.

....  Phil

Re: AoE x-Chapters 3x.18, audio power transistors
Phil Allison wrote...

 That's right, thanks for catching that.

--
 Thanks,