AoE x-Chapters 3x.18, audio power transistors

I've been too busy lately, working on the book, to look at the conversations around recent x-Chapter draft postings, but will get time soon. Meanwhile, an email from our editor prompted a post this morning:

Power Transistors for Linear Amplifiers, 3x.18, will be elevated back to its proper position as a full-blown section of its own, now keyed as \xahead, and not merely \ahead.

The DRAFT is pre-fix. Check out Table 3x.6, and study the graphs in Figures 3.117 and 3x.118, what an interesting set of curves! I gathered candidate parts, Paul took SMU measurements, polished graphs in Illustrator.

I look forward to seeing suggestions and comments from the DIY audiophile crowd.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hi Win, I just want to say how great it is that you and Paul are doing all this. (I was going to complain about graph 3.x118... but then connected it to

3.x117. I tend to look at the graphs/ schematics first and then read the words.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

** The lateral mosfets you mention ( 2SK1058 ) are from Hitachi, now Renesa s not Toshiba.

Toshiba do or at least did make vertical types ( 2SK405 ) with low gate thr esholds claimed to be suitable for audio output stages - but of course suff ered from all the usual drawbacks of thermal runaway, needing source ballas t resistors plus matched sets for parallel operation.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That's right, thanks for catching that.