O.T. AoE x-Chapters, 20% discount

Our publisher, Cambridge University Press, is offering the AoE x-Chapters, at a 20% discount. until 29 February. "use code AEX2019P at the checkout to receive a 20% discount!"

Paul and I have had our copies for over a week now, and palettes of books are making their way to CUP's warehouse, 9000 copies this printing. CUP will ship well before Amazon, and others. Get 524 big pages of good stuff, $48 plus s/h.

Also, our own x-Chapter web page is up, which includes 11 sample sections you can download. And I've posted drafts of other sections here. So you can start your reading right away.

We've already posted the first errata, so read and act fast, get your name honored on the web!

I process all notes about typos, and our editor fixes them for the next printing, thanks! But only genuine errors people need to know about, end up on the errata section. We worked hard, and were buried in masses of detail, so I know there are errors. They just need to be found.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I have it on back-order from Amazon Prime. $56, free shipping, no estimate of delivery date.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Yea, but "Prime" is supposed to mean "TODAY" and not "whenever we damn feel like it". Some "benefits".....

Reply to
Robert Baer

Right, but I doubt Amazon will pay for pallets of books by air, so they'll come from the U.K. by ship, then by truck to their various warehouses, and then maybe it'll go right out. I'd guess end of January.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I pre-ordered it before it was printed. Prime lets you do that, too.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Congratulations! When you have the printed book in your hands, it's super tempting to start believing your own stuff. ;) (I know the feeling.)

I have one on pre-order as well, and I'll probably get a couple more to give away. (That should prevent certain folks from absconding with mine.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

looking forward to it Win, cheers

Reply to
sea moss

... and Amazon claimed that if I enrolling in Prime I would have the benefit I would get it in a couple of days.

Oddly enough I turned down their generous offer of help.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

No e-book version? I prefer to always carry all my books with me. Plus super-fast searching.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

When I ordered it they made it clear that it wasn't available yet, and they they would notify me when it was. I wouldn't expect them to ship me a book overnight if it hasn't been printed yet.

Prime is great. I order lots of stuff, including electronic parts and equipment and engineer fuel. They have a lot.

Prime is to stuff what the internet is to information. Driving to the UC Berkeley library, or driving to Office Depot, are both distant memories.

Good grief, it used to take two weeks to get a data sheet in the mail.

There are still a couple of good small bookstores that I like.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

There's one for the 3rd edition, maybe there'll be one for the x-Chapters. But it'd be nice to find and fix most of the errors first. The 3rd edition Kindle edition was the 7th printing.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

They (1) made it clear to me it wasn't available yet and (2) still tried to persuade me prime would be great for that order.

That's false and mildly incompetent, in the same way that it would be to put an advert for gun control alongside a news story about the latest massacre at a school. At least if the advert was for fire extinguishers and narwahal tusks it would be more accurate :)

More seriously, the more a company attempts to shove something down my throat, the more I am likely to resist.

Oh, I remember when information was difficult to obtain, so when you did obtain some you pored over it to glean everything possible. Nowadays the key life skill is exactly opposite: how to speedily decide what to ignore.

Serendipity is something that Amazon will never be able to supply, even though the try.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

They were right. Prime is great.

But Prime is enormously useful. And fun.

The good bookstores are staffed by book lovers, who select good stuff and like to talk about books. The small stores also tend to have things of local interest.

The little bookstore down the hill from us also has discussion groups, signings, neighborhood meetings, and concerts. The one we like in Truckee has a lot of local stuff, hiking and geology and history. And it's right next to the chocolate store.

The bulk bookstores, Borders and such with bored people behind the cash register, can't compete with Amazon.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Fantastic news! We've all been looking forward to this day for quite some time. Thank you Win and Paul. For books like this, I'm sure the rewards are more academic than monetary. I deeply appreciate your devotion to our craft and its progress. And thanks for non-Amazon options. I try to avoid that stingy 2000-lb gorilla if possible. Will ordering post 17-Dec (post-Brexit?) be an issue for CUP? ;-) - Rich S.

Reply to
Rich S

Not for *that* order! Pay a lot extra to get it delivered in 90 days rather than 91 days.

Not to me. Others have indicated why it isn't to them either. YMMV, of course.

If I travel west along the motorway then I go past two large Amazon sheds in 30 miles. I suspect there are others if I went in other directions.

It is difficult to understand that leftpondians think 100 years is a long time, whereas rightpondians think 100 miles is a long way.

Just so. In spades.

I also have "the secondhand bookshop of the world" (Hay-on-Wye) a long way[1] away; that's always fun for a day out.

[1] 75 miles / 90 minutes :)
Reply to
Tom Gardner

The Amazon effect was inevitable, I suppose. They can do logistics better than the mom-and-pop (High Street to you) store. What surprises me is not the giant efficient warehouses, but the home delivery system. Who would have thought that a $19 thermocouple meter would be shipped to me by jet plane? Who could have imagined that the the US Postal Service could be competitive with anyone and

*deliver*on*Sunday* ?

Delivering stuff from trucks is efficient, like Uber delivers people.

One side effect of Amazon, at least for me, is that I hear about a book, so click-click I order it. With Prime, it takes seconds. I read fast, so I accumulate books that I have nowhere to store. My interests are sufficiently weird that I can't give away a lot of them to people that I know. So a couple times per year I load up the car and drop the books at the Friends Of The Library depot on 17th street, near work. They then sell them somehow. Sometimes they have so many books that they can't store them either, so they shut down accepting donations.

I still like real, print-on-paper books. I suppose that will be history some day too.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Indeed.

I remember in January 1996 discussing this web shopping thing with colleagues. We came to the conclusion that a good place to invest would be in trucking and delivery companies.

Right idea, too early.

I thought buying pet food over the net was retarded. Now I do it because it enables me to get hold of better quality stuff.

Wrong idea :)

In the early 80s I heard of a friend's relative that had decided to stop buying books. He reasoned that he had a pile of books that he wanted to read, and wouldn't have time to read them before he dies.

Know the feeling; I've inherited it.

Searching doesn't allow for finding things you didn't know you wanted.

Our local charity shops have a reasonable selection of interesting books.

They make money from them even if they are never sold.

Like vinyl LPs?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Very nice! Thanks Win. I thought I pre-ordered a copy at Amazon, but I didn't! Say I went and added the code to my amazon order and got "code invalid message" has anyone successfully used this discount code at amazon? Thanks, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's a specific discount, offered by C.U.P., at their office / website. They already give I think 40% off to Amazon, who chooses to keep most of the $$.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Excellent, thanks for the heads-up. Pre-ordered.

I found a copy of AoE 1 gathering dust in my high-school physics lab,

30-odd years ago. It was a revelation, and was probably more responsible than anything else for starting me down this career path.

One of our guys is doing a day-release course, and the first item on his required-reading is... AoE III. Long may it continue.

Reply to
RBlack