numerical challenge

Sorry, that should be "that doesn't mean he ***can't*** think in other terms".

Rick

Reply to
rickman

whatsoever, GG completely ignores its 'Quote Original' button, and it puts all this double space junk in here just by hitting 'Post Reply'. And if I don't watch it, it will send replies to the author too.

There are at least two things you can do about it. The first, and most obvious is to trim your quotes! Most of the stuff you are quoting is just drivel anyway.

The other thing is to use a proper newsreader. I gave up on Google Groups and may start doing something about other people who won't.

I'm from the DC area. I had the idea of dealing with traffic by shooting one person on the Beltway every day at 5 PM. Some years ago someone tried my method. It had moderate success until they were caught.

Do you want to hear my ideas on how to get people to stop using GG?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Actually, I did want to work there, and probably would have been willing to tolerate the manager. In retrospect, all he was doing was defending his design and avoided hiring a potential troublemaker (me).

I noticed that nobody actually answered the problem. So....

5V

Assuming silicon, and not germanium,

5V - 0.6V = 4.4V

10V

Ie = 4.4V / 1K = 4.4ma

Assuming Beta = 100 Alpha = 100/(100+1) = 0.990 Ic = Alpha * Ie = 0.990 * 4.4ma = 4.36ma

4.40ma - 4.36ma = 0.044ma

Agreed. The last engineer I hired (back in the early 1980's) was one of maybe a dozen applicants that were filtered by HR. My boss gave me about an hour each as he didn't want me to spend 12 days on interviews. I wasn't hugely interested in what they knew. I was interested in their willingness and abilities to learn new things. My little memory test trick was my primary tool. There's not much that can be done in an hour, especially with constant interruptions. Eventually, about 4 people in engineering grilled the applicant. We then compared notes and passed it on to whomever was going to make the final decision. The overall batting average was lousy. We hired one clown that instantly retired on the job. Another specialized in finding excuses not to show up to work. Yet another acted like he was still working for his previous employer. Spending a day with the applicant would have brought much of this to the surface, but that didn't happen.

There's also a problem hiring engineers in very small companies. At literally all of my employers, engineers were directly involved in all aspects of product development, production, QA, and documentation. We needed a very versatile engineer, capable of doing more than just engineering. I didn't care if the candidate knew how to do everything. However, I did care if he was able to learn new skills. I was hired at one company to do RF design work, but spent the first 6 months cleaning up my predecessors mess on the production line.

Yep. We also did that. However, I ran into one odd problem with an engineer from Japan. I could see that he was competent. However, I had great difficulty determining what he did at his previous employer. It wasn't a big secret as it was all on his resume. Yet, he wouldn't talk about it. I eventually determined that in Japan, he was considered part of a team. Discussing a project without the inclusion of the team was like taking personal credit for the teams accomplishments. When I switched my questions to reflect the accomplishments of the team, the answers were forthcoming.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

If you're in need for a low saturated switch and don't want to use mos then I guess this would work..

But, beware of what you place at the emitter, I would think you need to stay belong the zenering of the emitter..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

This is my reply posted via Google Groups. Note how I edited the double spaced junk that Google quoted into something readable.

When you hit "Post Reply" button, you get a box with double spaced quoted text to which you can add your comments to the bottom. The double spaced quoted text is easily editable. Just trim off as much as possible, leaving only a few references, and your posting will be more readable.

Yep. I've seen that happen.

If you are unable to make your posting readable, I suggest you subscribe to a usenet news provider (I use SuperNews/Giganews), and a decent reader, such as Forte Agent.

Reply to
jeff.liebermann

Uh-huh, let's see you bootstrap it to handle 15Vpp AC at the emitter, centered at 5VDC, using just the power supplies shown.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I know that- but it takes all day and drives me nuts- I'll just block delete it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

at 5VDC, using just the power supplies shown.

Do I get to use more transistors?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

The BFT25 has super low capacitance.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

No- two-terminal components only.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Well, it didn't take me all day and I think I'm still sane.

You don't offer much of a choice. It's either 607 lines of quoted junk, or a one-liner. Neither extreme is worthwhile. May I suggest a compromise. Inscribe your one-line comment, trim, but continue on to explain why you think so, substantiate your allegations, and backup your claims. You already do much of that, but scattered over multiple messages where it's difficult to find or read. With 300+ messages per day in this newsgroup, it's impossible for me to read everything.

Reply to
jeff.liebermann

Inductor in series with the emitter resistor.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

it.

Is that a short trip? ;7)

Rick

Reply to
rickman

That clips at the positive peaks.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It seems to meet your stated requirement.

Show us what you had in mind.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Incorrect answer; a lot more than that (remember, i said FACTORIAL, which means 4089 * 4088 * 4087 * ... * 3 * 2 * 1).

Reply to
Robert Baer

YES!! Correct solution AND correct method.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, there IS a way...fire absolutely everybody and dump the company..

Reply to
Robert Baer

?

It's a firm that does financial modeling. They're recruiting people to write code, for statistical analysis etc.; quants, not brokers.

It's a very good question for such a position. OF course, you want someone unafraid of math, but better yet, it requires some original thinking, a problem that wasn't on the exam.

--
Rich
Reply to

That certainly an option but it doesn't meet the stated goals.

Reply to
krw