Large capacitance varicaps, where are thee?

Folks,

Looked at Digikey and some others. Where are those huge capacitance varicaps? The ones with several hundred pF of range for AM radios. All gone lalaland by now?

Even the ones I found in the 100pF range are either obsolete or not recommended for new designs.

What I am trying to do: I need to control a switcher chip in frequency because I've got a very resonant load to deal with. Unfortunately it sets the frequency with a timing cap. I'll have to somehow vary that between 750pF and 2000pF. Can also be digital but then with a granularity of 5pF. The sawtooth voltage across it is 2.5Vpp.

Doing it with caps and a mux chip or two has its own challenges. The ADG-series from AD is around 11pF per pin, otherwise their Rdson is too high. Talking about the a rock and a hard spot here.

Oh, and cost is not very important. If a diode or two or three are needed that cost $5 a pop that's ok.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hmm.. I have no idea Joerg. So silly ideas, can you parallel a bunch of small ones? What's the frequency? Could you use a cruddie Y5/Z5 ceramic?

(You've most likely already been down both these roads.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There are plenty of hoarders that have those caps. I picked them up years ago when I figured they would go extinct. They same goes for 10 turn pots of the panel variety with the dials on them. (Good old Mike Quinn in San Leadro by the Oakland airport would save panels with those pots and junk the rest of the product.] Most radios are synthesized these days, so there is no market for those caps.

If you are not conflating sawtooth with triangle wave, then maybe you could shunt some current from the osc pin, which would slow down the frequency. Pick your external cap for the highest frequency needed, then bleed with some DAC based circuit or even a resistive trimpot. The

10-turn PCB mounted resistors still exist.

The difficulty will be in the compliance of the current source used for bleeding.

Reply to
miso

possible to force you own triangle in?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

How about using a bad quality ceramic capacitor?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yup :-(

They don't make Z5U this small. Paralleling gets to be tough for space reasons because I'd need a boatload.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, I know but I was hoping there'd be at least one other market. Seems like there ain't.

That won't be a problem but the chip immediately gets sea-sick when you do anything DC to that pin.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not on this one. It issues a major reset pulse of almost 50mA and if that sees any obstructions it all goes bonkers. It already does when you tough it with a 10k resistor, like the princess on the pea.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

They don't make Z5U this small. Only for larger capacitors.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Could something like this be a start?

Gets pretty close - 10 pF resolution if I read that right.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

this too crazy?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Not crazy at all but there can't be an R3 in my case. Falls apart when it gets into the tens of ohms. It's sawtooth, not triangular.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Then we'd have to ship a bearded professor in SMT size with every board, for the self-alignment routine :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

About half way down.

No kiddin? ;-)

Use a regulator with an external clock. That's what we do (all of our switchers are synchronized).

A regulator with an external clock shouldn't be an issue, then.

Reply to
krw

I'm just guessing, diode across R3 ?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

No, there is more or less a wire.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

OK so how 'bout a few Z5U in series?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I meant add diode so discharge is fast

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Well, I need one from LTC because it must be simulated. The load is really ugly yet must be well regulated with some unorthodox loop elements in there. Linear only has the 3721 and 3723 for push-pull. Some older ones as well but they have the same engine type in them.

If LTC had a suitable one. We have a processor so sync'ing is no big deal except that I usually get the looks if I request processor MIPS. Analog dudes aren't really entitled to those.

Anyhow, it's not a show stopper, I can use a small varicap plus mux. The mux is like an umpteen-speed gear shifter, not very pretty. If big varicaps were still available it would become very easy. But I guess even if I found one the risk is too great that it's going to be obsoleted in a few years.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, but I've been through that as well. Here is the bad news:

Quote "Obsolete item; call Digi-Key for more information".