not a new subject - women in electronics and computing?

Cite.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Sno-o-o-ort!

...Jim Thompson

It IS possible to bust the tenure after multiple hearings about why the pedagogy of the instructor isn't keeping pace with the state of the art. Yes, it takes time, but you CAN remove tenured instructors for cause.

The nearest private employer (boss) is a quarter mile down the road, and a dozen of them at that. The nearest college besides the one I teach at is a

150 mile round trip every day.

You probably would if you taught for 40 years in the public school system. You'd CERTAINLY believe it if you had taught in the college (community college) system or above. When students are paying for the privilege of their butts in a chair in your classroom, you'd be surprised how soon the word gets out on the "good ones" and the "bad ones".

Probably in the same community college district as you reside, most certainly if not that, the one to your immediate north with a main campus in Rocklin. We're always looking for GOOD instructors; I'd be happy to introduce you to the powers that be on the hiring committee.

And, we part timers don't call it tenure, we call it seniority. After six semesters, you get seniority which means you get the right to be on the pecking order for classes. YOu may not get everything or as many units as you want, but you move up year by year until you do.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Ah, since we are discussing teachers, I had a particularly gifted Philosophy

20 professor (Logic & Critical Thinking) who told us that there were ten ways of refuting an assertation in debate, all the way from Evidence to the Contrary to Ad Hominem when you don't have a leg to stand on.

Hm, what do you suppose your reply back is?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I am probably wrong but the saddest thing about that statement is the possibility that the teacher really felt that it was your problem. I don't know about the psychology that underlies that attitude but I do know it is associated with an ability to write reams of meaningless bollocks.

I've done it..... 14 times and counting. Whoops, fortunately I get to claim nutter benefit. There just has to be something wrong with me.

Indeed

DNA

Reply to
Genome

OK, they're dumbing down the schools so that the ignorant voters will be too dumb to check your leftist lies, and will vote for your promises of bread, circuses, and the illusion of security.

They're running pretty close to 50-50 these days, so what difference does it make?

;-) Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

The answer to that is simple - just process the emotions as they come up, rather than suppressing them, and you won't be susceptible to "emotional overload".

Hope This Helps! Rich

--
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.godchannel.com
Reply to

Top posters don't rate a lot of concern about stuff like this.

John

A very experienced professor emeritus once told me that such an act would require a major earthquake. He hadn't heard of one case of stripped tenure in his academic career of more than half a century.

I guess the misbehavior has to be really gross like in the Utah case.

That ain't so in my field of medical ultrasound. Typically changing the boss requires the move into another state, country or across an ocean. Did that, lock, stock and barrel from Europe.

Don't know if I would. I have met teachers who said that if there wasn't tenure they could hire much better ones instead of having the whole staff suffer because some don't pull their weight. I still fail to see the difference to engineers. If one of them can't pull it off word gets out and then, latest at the next layoff, the matter is solved. Why should that be different with teachers?

I don't know much about district boundaries but Rocklin would be quite a commute. The closest community college to us would be Folsom. Thank you for the offer, I may take you up on that. Right now I am booked to the hilt with designs though.

I wouldn't be one of the "peckers", I'd do whatever makes most sense for the group and the school.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Oddly enough, this thread just popped up immediately before the one about the guy who wants to build a robot woman. The primary specification is that it 'be well endowed' (to put it nicely, although the moron couldn't even spell 'boob' correctly).

Engineers, particularly in some of the more traditional fields (manufacturing, construction, etc.) are quite a misogynistic bunch. Not an atmosphere that many women would put up with for long.

Live Faust, die Jung.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yabbut.... He had a 'particularly gifted Philosophy 20 professor (Logic & Critical Thinking)' and does peer reviews so you are basically f***ed.

Can you imagine one of your students saying that you are particularly gifted. What a BORK!

DNA

Reply to
Genome

It's a simple fact. Check out the voting records. Follow the money. Pick your poison!

--
  Keith
Reply to

Ok, how does tenure, with its freedom to teach whatever, help anyone in grade school education? Secondary? Undergraduate? There are supposed to be skills to learn, not whatever the teacher decides (not) to teach!

BTDT, it was fun while it lasted.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I thought the whole world heard that "gaffe".

  Keith
Reply to
krw

...wearing a T-shirt that says "People Suck"? ;-))

--
  Kieht
Reply to

Oooooh, yes. I was forced to look that word up. Quite horrible really.

I had hoped/thought it might have something to do with FARTING in bed about three-o-clock in the morning when you have given up on the idea of stopping the bitch from robbing the bed and snoring a lot so you can get some sleep......... after she used you for multiple orgasms in the space of 20 minutes.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

But said Gifted Perfesser forgot the 11th way to refute an assertation, namely to whine about the other guy's spelling.

But why am I f***ed? I spend my time designing kick-ass electronics, and he red-pencils grammar errors on student papers. The people who peer-review my proposals don't give me letter grades, they give me purchase orders.

John

You are so totally f****ng naive that I do not care to argue with you. Come back when you can prove you have had an education and I might discuss my plop plops with you.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Education? Anybody who posts to a newsgroup with the objective to prove to a bunch of strangers how smart they are is, well, one insecure dweeb.

But what's a plop plop?

And why don't you just sum up the number or orgasms and divide by two?

John

As long as she does?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson