what's the meaning of 'assert' and 'deassert'?

thanks.

Reply to
=?gb2312?B?yb3WruGw?=

American isms for attack and retreat, or set and unset

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Assert is making an ass of yourself.

Deassert is what you eat after supper.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

=B0"

I think it's valid terminology since it describes a logic state without making a distinction between High active and Low active, High or Low, or One or Zero.

Bob

Reply to
StephensDigital

=C3=96=C2=AE=C3=A1=C2=B0"

Yes , you are right.

Reply to
=?utf-8?B?5bGx5LmL5bKa?=

=C3=96=C2=AE=C3=A1=C2=B0"

Yes , you are right.

Reply to
=?utf-8?B?5bGx5LmL5bKa?=

=C3=96=C2=AE=C3=A1=C2=B0"

Yes , you are right.

Reply to
=?utf-8?B?5bGx5LmL5bKa?=

Be nice. I bet his English is better than your Chinese (I assume)!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

In English, the term 'assert' can have more than one meaning.

Deassert has a specific meaning and is the opposite of assert for only one of the uses of that word. In formal English there is no such word as deassert - it is an invented word for technical purposes.

In this case I expect it means to set a logic output high (assert) or low (deassert). However you have to read it in context.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Looks like this thread has ran its course but I would imagine that it is a combination of assert =3D ON and deassert =3D OFF regardless of a control pin being active high or active low. In either case you assert the pin to make it active and it wouldn't matter if it had to be high or low to do so. Same logic (no pun intended) for deasserting the pin. Like an output enable for example. That's the way I would look at it.

Reply to
Kingcosmos

Thing is, Deassert is by no stretch of the imagination a usual English word. It's a made-up-for-one-purpose word that is used only when talking about logic levels.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I'd definitely hyphenate it: ("de-assert").

The "assert" statement is also used in some programming languages as a debugging tool, where it's a statement that will execute silently if true (the non-error condition), otherwise will tell you about the problem and kickstart the debugger. The statements disappear from the release build, so they can be sprinkled freely through the source code without affecting the size or performance of the final executable.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

English language is definitelly tricky. You've got the same answer as asking what means "front end". Front end could be anything. Assert and deassert could be also anything.

to the logic state which was defined in the datasheet (ie it was a reset active low, asserting the reset pin means setting that pin low and deasserting the reset pin means setting that pin high).

It's not hard to understand those ilogic definitions as long in the England history where two kings which makes the english be proud: George the 10'th and the Eduard the second... :)

greetings, Vasile

Reply to
vasile

Assert means to indicate that something is true.

Negate means to indicate that something is false.

For example, 'assert the data ready flag' means to set the flag to the state that indicates the data is ready. It allows engineers to discuss signalling without the distraction of the particular active levels.

Deassert is used by people with weaker vocabularies. Like George Bush, or the Wikipedia guys who chose 'disambiguation' instead of 'clarification'.

Reply to
Kryten

"Negate" to me means that the signal is the opposite (not) of another, though I suppose one can usually sort out the unary "negate" based on the context.

"Deassert" makes the unary/binary meanings of "negate" unambiguous.

Don't be so stupid.

--
  Keith
Reply to