Complete optical processors and digital photonics to replace electronics in all form factors for commodity high performance computing at the speed of light for all.

According to the following, optical processors which can replace, and are much faster than, electronic digital processors have been devised and are production ready. I encourage all the stakeholders in this project to expedite its licensing and production so that we can all benefit from high performance computing in the form of optical processors. I would like to have an optical processor in my next desktops, notebooks hand held computers and consumer electronics, including children's toys. Even future One Laptop Per Child and Classmate machines could incorporate optical processors. Please refer to

Y. A. Zaghloul and A. R. M. Zaghloul, "Complete all-optical processing polarization-based binary logic gates and optical processors," Opt. Express 14, 9879-9895 (2006)

iajzenszmi

On Jan 19, 8:44=A0am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

?URI=3Doe-14-21-9879

[PDF] LOOKING FOR SPEED!! GO OPTICAL ULTRA-FAST PHOTONIC LOGIC GATES FOR ... File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML increase in speed by several orders of magnitude over conventional electronic signals ... For example if a 100 million gates on a chip (Pentium III ... hours (more than 11000 years) might can take the optical computer less than one hour ...
- Similar pages - by H Abdeldayem - Related articles - All 3 versions.

LOOKING FOR SPEED!! GO OPTICAL ULTRA-FAST PHOTONIC LOGIC GATES FOR THE FUTURE OPTICAL COMMUNICATION AND COMPUTING Hossin Abdeldayem NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center, Code 554, Greenbelt, MD 20771 Donald O. Frazier, Benjamin Penn, and Mark S. Paley NASA-Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL 35812 Optical interconnections and optical integrated circuits are strongly believed to be the most feasible technology that can provide the way out of the extreme limitations imposed on the speed and complexity of present day computations by conventional electronics. Optical devices have been incorporated into many and proved to be reliable and more advantageous. Optics provides higher bandwidth than electronics, which enables more information to be carried simultaneously and data to be processed with ease in parallel. Optical signals in fibers, integrated circuits, and free space do not have to charge a capacitor and are therefore faster. The photons can cross each other without interference, and are immune to space radiation. Such advantage of optical data processing is of extreme interest to the avionics divisions at NASA, and the defense industry, where there will be no need for radiation shielding. An obvious advantage of optical over electronic computing is that optical signal processing promises an impressive increase in speed by several orders of magnitude over conventional electronic signals. This parallelism if associated with fast switching speed would result in a staggering computational speed. For example if a 100 million gates on a chip (Pentium III microprocessor has ~140 million gates) were made optically and assuming on the conservative side each one is operating with a switching time of only

1 ns, the system could perform more than 10**17 bit operations per second. Compare this to the speed rate of giga ( 10**9) bits per second which the electronics is now performing. In other words a computation that might can take the conventional computer of today a hundred million hours (more than 11,000 years) might can take the optical computer less than one hour. Recently, we demonstrated in our laboratory a few ultra fast all- optical switches...
Reply to
iajzenszmi

So how big would a 16-bit full adder be when built in your logic?

Marc Reinig UCO Lick Laboratory for Adaptive Optics

news: snipped-for-privacy@f40g2000pri.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Marco