non-stock

I pay more for the beer at the bottom of the hill.

The other question, of course, is why would

Yeah of course, If DK is out of stock find them somewhere else.

George H.

George Herold

ut

You've never been 'reversed biased' ?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Evasion noted.

Perhaps you are that dense so I'll try to speak slower....

Why would someone pay more just to buy from DigiKey? Time has a value but if DigiKey doesn't stock it (or time isn't important), there's no point in paying their premium.

Reply to
krw

I should say not. I always conduct myself in the proper direction.

John

about

Ah, a real straight arrow. You follow the holes and avoid the electrons?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I can see why they stopped printing the catalog. Online, there's no limit to how many products they can list but not supply.

John

You can make a bigger catalog.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Well,

- you can still order it

- you can still compare pricing and specification

- it's just a tick box to suppress them

John

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The tick box suppresses ones they are temporarily out of stock on as well as those they have no intention of stocking.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

George Herold a écrit :

No, he's the electron, since he fills the holes...

What we don't is how often he's tunneling when commuting.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

30-40% is enough to interest me, even though it isn't "my" money. That's about DK's premium.

No, they're pretty good for stocking items. I don't mind the 30-40% if I need it now.

I *always* do better. As I say, usually by 30-40%, sometimes more.

Time is the only reason to buy from DK.

No "dickering" needed. Just send out quotes. I'd tell the reps what I wanted to pay and they'd normally beat it.

Reply to
krw

Sure. Again, I don't design-in components where there is no supply and the "in stock" search option works. I thought you gave up on Maxim too? ;-)

Reply to
krw

There is also the "non-stock" category, which is not the same as qty=0. OTOH, if there is no stock anywhere, it doesn't get designed in so it takes care of itself.

Reply to
krw

ote:

.
0 ?

f it

them)

ue but if

n paying

's

I need

I wanted

Well I think we are most likely living in different worlds. We sell maybe 20 per year of our apparatus. (The cheaper things do better than that.) I remember quoting DK prices to Newark.. so then they would beat it by x%. waste of time for 100 pieces of something.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

if

paying

Perhaps, but not by much. The highest volume product was 5K/yr. Most were in the tens to hundreds. Total volume matters, getting distys' interest, though. If you're buying only cut tape, here and there, then yeah, you're stuck paying through the nose.

Newark was about the last place I looked for parts (some Switchcraft connectors were better stocked at Newark). I may have ordered from them a half-dozen times in three years.

Reply to
krw

0:1.

=3D 0 ?

n if it

of them)

value but if

t in paying

dor

hat's

if I need

st

ng,

r,

hat I wanted

t were in

though.

aying

m a

OK, not newark then, mouser, arrow? At some point you stop dealing with the distributor and talk to the manufacturer. Custom ~200 piece switches from Grayhill are the same price as stock from DK. (or anywhere else that we could find.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

it

them)

but if

paying

need

wanted

For the couple of years anyway, Arrow has been the best but a lot went to Avnet, too.

manufacturer.

Certainly if you're a major user but small shops can get better deals through disties. This is particularly true for some bigger ticket items, like processors and FPGAs.

200 pieces isn't a lot but you can't go by the catalog prices (Arrow's web prices, for example, are insane). Only fools full retail. ;-)
Reply to
krw

My complaint with the 'in stock' box is it doesn't differentiate between 'non stocked' and '(temporarily) out of stock' You can sort it out by looking at the 'non stocked' but that won't show up if it's out of stock until you uncheck the 'in stock' box and compare. It's still WAY better than Mouser. Had two Mouser reps at work last year and I told them why I buy more from Digikey -- IT'S EASIER.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

You are Esaki right.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Last week I ordered Wiznet W5100 from Future because the initial search indicated that it is in stock.

When I proceeded with order it was revealed to me that it was actually in "Reserve stock" which by their definition means that it stocked at another Future facility. That would incur 5-7 days delay. No problem. I ordered the part. Next day I got email from them that the part is on backorder and will be shipped on January 16.

I phoned back and could not get a sensible explanation from them why this is so.

BTW Wiznet sells small quantity directly. I ordered from them and it is on its way.

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar