Non electric, gas cooker

rote:

with 50 servings of rice (or 2 with 25 each), heat on medium until boiling then low for a while. You're considering greatly complicating it. So I ask again what is the purpose? Unless you can tell us it's not going to be very productive.

m at the same time. The end of the line goes directly to the delivery truc k as well. However, customer can pickup near end of the line via the autom ated windows/openings.

robotic arms as well. One need to grill the meat and another one to pack t he delivery truck. But that's way further down the line. First thing is t o build the cooking/serving line.

maybe 20 servings at once, and tip/shake/scrape/weigh it out into portions . All the relevant kit is a done deal already, meaning less material costs & far less time. A thermostat to detect too much temp rise would be necessa ry to avoid burnt food & for fire safety, with insulation under it. Add smo ke detection too.

a steam pan warmer, then transfer to serving containers.

an cook and serve with the same container, we can same some work time.

dy chopped, spices come in premixed. Safe cooking profile must be monitored for all dishes, otherwise people will end up poisoned and served raw food one day.

seal it airtight, insulate it well, and heat with electricity. This would c onsume way less energy & water. It requires its own safety layers of course . You also could cook the whole dish in one this way - and if you go a step further and use pressure cooking it would be sealed & sterile once cooked

- it would be canned.

Otherwise, it won't taste good and customers won't come.

Sounds like you're looking at foil containers, but you've not said anything that would tell us what sort of containers are best. I expect you could co nveyor belt or batch load those into/through a steam oven.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You'd have a pile of problems doing that. Batch loading it makes far more sense. But that would suffer too uneven cooking. Nuking one item at a time sounds impractical... you might find microwaves aren't your friend.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That might work if you have another site and it has the spare capacity, eno ugh transport is available etc. If not it's liable to be a business ender.

purchases. Keeping a few spare is no big deal.

Spare other parts of the system are another matter.

The great thing about 'carbon bags' is they're highly adaptable. Whenever i ssues occur they can mostly work round them. Losing that ability can be a d isaster. You mentioned running a kitchen too hot for humans - again that is cutting down your options to put a human in the chain while something is r epaired. It will happen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

nough transport is available etc. If not it's liable to be a business ender .

e purchases. Keeping a few spare is no big deal.

R1C1 might not be fully mobile like R2D2, but we can push and tow it out an d bring in R1C99, etc.

Hot standby spares are 20K each. but individual parts are probably much che aper. They are just steppers, gears and linkages anyway.

Same for GM, F or other manufacturers, are they going to shut down the comp any because their robots are on strike? No, they bring in C bags replaceme nts.

issues occur they can mostly work round them. Losing that ability can be a disaster. You mentioned running a kitchen too hot for humans - again that is cutting down your options to put a human in the chain while something is repaired. It will happen.

Of course, we have to dial back the temperature with C bags and temporary a bandoning the production line/track.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

enough transport is available etc. If not it's liable to be a business end er.

ume purchases. Keeping a few spare is no big deal.

and bring in R1C99, etc.

OK so it's a chain of catering places, that makes quite a difference.

heaper. They are just steppers, gears and linkages anyway.

the robot arms yes, the production line no.

mpany because their robots are on strike? No, they bring in C bags replace ments.

er issues occur they can mostly work round them. Losing that ability can be a disaster. You mentioned running a kitchen too hot for humans - again tha t is cutting down your options to put a human in the chain while something is repaired. It will happen.

abandoning the production line/track.

If your production environment is hostile, people can't work there. If you want human backup you'd then need to have a separate human operated product ion line ready to go, plus the staff available at the drop of a hat. Or aba ndon all thought of human backup. Also you have to shut it down while repai rs are done. So there are real downsides to a hostile production line.

Of course you can ameliorate things somewhat by running parallel production lines in each location.

What are you looking for here at this point?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

:

ith

y, enough transport is available etc. If not it's liable to be a business e nder.

olume purchases. Keeping a few spare is no big deal.

t and bring in R1C99, etc.

Yes, that's the goal. At least to have a repair facility close by.

cheaper. They are just steppers, gears and linkages anyway.

company because their robots are on strike? No, they bring in C bags repla cements.

ever issues occur they can mostly work round them. Losing that ability can be a disaster. You mentioned running a kitchen too hot for humans - again t hat is cutting down your options to put a human in the chain while somethin g is repaired. It will happen.

ry abandoning the production line/track.

u want human backup you'd then need to have a separate human operated produ ction line ready to go, plus the staff available at the drop of a hat. Or a bandon all thought of human backup. Also you have to shut it down while rep airs are done. So there are real downsides to a hostile production line.

If we optimize it for machine, the backup facility would not be too efficie nt. It would just be enough to make it going slowly. C bags are quite ada ptable to inefficient working environment, but outputs are adjusted accordi ngly.

on lines in each location.

Production lines around 1 hours apart, since meals must be delivered within 30 minutes. Parts and supplies within hours. Even for one location, we n eed to ship 500 pounds of rice, 100 pounds of sugar every week. Yes, lots of sugar.

Brain stormings. Comments. Looking for holes in our plans.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

It would help if you were more clear on what you are saying. I don't understand you 1 hour and 30 minute comments. I think you are saying meals are ordered 30 minutes before they are served? Is 1 hour the driving time between facilities? How does that impact things?

Rice can be cooked in 20 minutes, right? Why would you need to keep it warm when it can be served? If you don't want it until 30 minutes, make it 10 minutes after the order is placed.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I would expect that there is an existing industry that is manufacturing equipment for plants like that, and probably also a consulting/planning industry to provide advice about what to buy and how to configure it.

Wouldn't that be a better source of information than a group of electronics design engineers?

Reply to
Rob

OK, let me try to be more specific. Kitchen #1 (where i am currently study ing their ops in order to expand and/or relocate). Kitchen #2 (around 2 ho urs driving time away got a big order to double their size, from a customer around 30 minutes away). They can't handle it from existing facility. So , we are thinking about a new facility half way in between. This single cu stomer will be served from both kitchen #2 and #3. After this, we can take more customers.

There are big demands for relatively better meals than McDonald, delivered to the customer's campus. Companies don't want their employee's to waste t ime driving to us. They want us to drive to them.

During off-peak hours, it can stays in the queue for 30 minutes or more.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Yes, there are companies making the robotic arms and oven, but not in the right configurations that we need.

Those companies also hire electronics design engineers. What wrong with asking for opinions from engineers? The main task is going to be building and/or applying the robotic arms in the kitchen.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Ok. When I see a built-up installation like that, I believe that it contains ready-made equipment, and additional custom-made stuff (e.g. to connect different parts together, both functionally and mechanically). I picture there is a place where you can order your complete installation and where drawings are made to your specification and advice can be obtained about equipment.

It is not wrong, but I would think that there are more specialized consultants/engineers available in the restaurant/hospital kitchen business that you at least should ask as well...

Reply to
Rob

you want human backup you'd then need to have a separate human operated pro duction line ready to go, plus the staff available at the drop of a hat. Or abandon all thought of human backup. Also you have to shut it down while r epairs are done. So there are real downsides to a hostile production line.

ient. It would just be enough to make it going slowly. C bags are quite a daptable to inefficient working environment, but outputs are adjusted accor dingly.

tion lines in each location.

in 30 minutes. Parts and supplies within hours. Even for one location, we need to ship 500 pounds of rice, 100 pounds of sugar every week. Yes, lot s of sugar.

The one hole I see is you're going to have a whole lot of downtime. You've designed it such that every little maintenance event will crash the system.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Asking us first might help with picking what company to go with. And might highlight issues that they won't rush to mention.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Like many industries, this one likely has all sorts of details on which solutions work well and which don't. That is something only experience provides. So working with a company already in the business can do you a lot of good.

--

Rick C
Reply to

within 30 minutes. Parts and supplies within hours. Even for one locatio n, we need to ship 500 pounds of rice, 100 pounds of sugar every week. Yes , lots of sugar.

he right configurations that we need.

onics

h asking for opinions from engineers? The main task is going to be buildin g and/or applying the robotic arms in the kitchen.

ss

Don't put too much faith on professional companies/services. I just finish ed dealing with a $40,000 wheel chair lift, with the city inspector threati ng a daily fine if not fixed. At the last moment (last week) of the dead l ine, we find the problem. They have two pieces of metal inside the metal d oor frame, activated by the door lock. Bending it slightly and one of the contact point short the transformer (110V to 24V) output to ground. Haven' t they heard about hall sensors or better sealed contact switches?

The manufacturers have been in business for decades and nobody questions th eir design.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

f you want human backup you'd then need to have a separate human operated p roduction line ready to go, plus the staff available at the drop of a hat. Or abandon all thought of human backup. Also you have to shut it down while repairs are done. So there are real downsides to a hostile production line .

icient. It would just be enough to make it going slowly. C bags are quite adaptable to inefficient working environment, but outputs are adjusted acc ordingly.

uction lines in each location.

thin 30 minutes. Parts and supplies within hours. Even for one location, we need to ship 500 pounds of rice, 100 pounds of sugar every week. Yes, l ots of sugar.

e designed it such that every little maintenance event will crash the syste m.

Fine if it's scheduled maintenance. In the typical kitchen, half of the bu siness are done between 12 to 1 and 6 to 7. It's hard to find reliable C b ags just one hour at a time.

C bags can do all the prep in advance, but machines run at full speed durin g these two hours.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Do you really believe that? Perhaps you should tell your boss.

Incomparable. The US is a *far* bigger and less dense place, precluding reasonable mass transportation.

Reply to
krw

If you grind up a glass plate and season your food with it, it won't do you much good, either.

Reply to
krw

50% of your costs seems pretty high to me. Hell, $1K/mo for electricity sounds like low-hanging fruit, too.

Food service isn't very automated, *today*, but Obama is making sure that it will happen very fast. Your state is leading the way to eliminate all entry level jobs.

You just need to hire fewer, better looking, bags of water.

Reply to
krw

You need more spares because they're so unreliable, particularly at that end of the bell curve.

Reply to
krw