NNTP newsreaders for Blackberry?

Dear all:

Since I'm now sort of in road warrior mode--a big change for a lab rat like me, but fun so far--I went out and bought a Blackberry 8900. It has just about everything I want, once I found an acceptable text editor/file browser (BBFileScout). One glaring exception--it has no NNTP reader! It laughingly calls its RSS gizmo a 'newsreader'. *Faugh*.

Any Blackberry folks out there with *real* newsreaders?

Cheers

Phil "have gun, will travel" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

On a sunny day (Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:03:23 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Perhaps you know that Usenet is based on a text interface, and just like email, can be accessed any time with a simple text based telnet client: For example, to read the latest article in sci.electronics.design using telnet, you can do:

# telnet nntp.aioe.org 119

Trying 94.75.244.51... Connected to nntp.aioe.org. Escape character is '^]'.

200 aioe.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.4 (20060818 snapshot) ready (posting ok).

group sci.electronics.design

..

Well, you said: "An UC3843 would suit if it were voltage controlled instead of current". Read the link to the post again=B4. . ^] q

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

telnet, you can do:

Jan,

Thanks, I feel so much better off now...;) All I need is a Telnet client for a Blackberry.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:14:59 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Yes, was afraid you would say that.... Did not very long for me to google it 'telnet client blackberry' though:

May try that one on my own new phone.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

gh*.

There is a free BB java app to READ usenet. My recollection is it was not set up to post to NNTP, so I uninstalled it. It is very annoying that google doesn't allow it's interface to usenet to work on the BB browser.

You can tether your BB as a modem. It is free though unsupported on T- mobile. I believe AT&T has a tethering charge. No idea about CDMA BBs.

I just posted a message to this group from my blackberry using Opera mini. Just log into

from that browser.

Reply to
miso

Why telnet?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

try searching for blackberry+nntp

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I can confirm this ssh + telnet client works on my Nokia GSM, just tried it, very nice and fast, now I can control my server from anywhere in the world via the mobile phone :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I realize this followup is very late, but in case you still need it (and for others with the same question), I never did find a good newsreader (nntp) for BB, but you can install BBSSH , log into your home machine remotely and use slrn or some other console-based newsreader. Works like a charm for me.

Reply to
Btrig

href="

">BBSSH

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Down in NOLA helping my daughter move into her first apartment, on Dauphine Street. Cool place.)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

*Faugh*.

">BBSSH

AFAIK the G2 news client is worth checking for suitability.

Reply to
JosephKK