Nice HP scope going cheap

Normally not in the same town. But if the perimeter line goes right inbetween them and one hospital thus happens to be in the county, yes, then they can have different rates. It must be a pain for shippers to figure out the correct sales tax rate for each address.

Absolutamente. Since Obama my compliance cost (what I pay to the CPA) has shot way up and the paper stacks are seriously thicker. That is damaging to the economy of a country but some people just do not understand.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Less bureaucrats = better economy, better life.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. That's called fleecing :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[reposting. my earlier post not make it to my server]

Oh yeah, one last thing. When you get your scope I would highly recommend you run it through the self calibration routine a few times from the utility menu. You need to set the protect switch in the rear to unprotected. All you need for the calibration is three coax cables and a T splitter. The scope will guide you through the process. If it fails, it is highly likely that the problem is in the attenuators - the 5452X 5454X and

54810A through the 54825A scopes use the same attenuators and the relay contacts often get flaky and develop high resistance or intermittently open. The nice thing about these scopes is that the FISO A/D converters are easily replaced as they are socketed.
Reply to
JW

[reposting. my earlier post not make it to my server]

Yuck, those scopes are ancient and worth about $100 tops. Sample rate is crap at 20MSa/s and ACQ memory is only 1K per channel. That was my first DSO, and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough - hated the interface as well...

Reply to
JW

I've never heard of 500MHz bandwidth, or quad channels, being under $100 and not being a pile of parts. Actually I haven't even seen 'parts' units that low.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

NY is even worse. It does by town and the POs have large overlap. Online tax collection is a nightmare.

That's what government is for. Ask teachers or child welfare workers who they work for.

krw

There is no such thing as a "nice" HP scope. To HP, Trigger was a horse.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

I got to use one of their infinium scopes when I was at Vanderbilt. It was very nice! The first time they got the DSO user interface *right*. (different knobs for each input.) Those earlier units had the worse interface ever.. all menus and one control knob. Yuck!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Good info, thanks!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, I have a couple of sampling scopes already, one of which is 100 times faster than that one.

Dave Jones did a retro tech review of the 54622 a week or so ago, which is why I had an eBay want set up. This one isn't the swoopy megazoom mixed-signal one, but it does do 2 Gs/s simultaneously on all 4 channels, and has 32kB of sample memory per channel. Since I don't do FPGAs and so on, I don't really need any more than that most of the time.

IIRC my TDS 694C has 2 meg of sample memory (512k per channel). My ship had better come in soon, because I need a bigger lab. ;)

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That was certainly true up to about 1995 or 2000. That's when Tek figured out how to make spectrum analyzers and forgot how to make scopes, and HP did exactly the reverse.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Damn these people testing my water. If I want to drink sewage, it is my right.

Next thing you know, they will want to inspect the food!

Reply to
miso

They sat on the permit for my dentist for a whopping three months, just a run-of-the-mills office building move. Unbelievable. In private industry that gets someone fired. And it should.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You are what you eat/Drink

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

So says you. We don't know what the dentist f***ed up. A dental office has xray machines and gases. It is simply not a simply office move unless your dentist just uses a pick axe. Xray machines need certification.

In industry, nobody gets fired. I guess you don't read the business journals. Generally you f*ck up and get promoted. That is why there is so much shit at the top of old companies. You can't get rid of them. Just look at PG&E. Who was fired after the Milbrae blast?

Reply to
miso

Exactly. Glad you agree. Let the tea bagger shit drink shit. I will drink water that has been inspected by the government.

Reply to
miso

I have the 54542A which is the monochrome crt version. The Li battery did fail and the 'scope appeared to be almost completely dead.

It failed the self-calibration the first couple of times after replacing the battery and then managed to get through it.

The other problem I had with it was a cooked diode in one of the analogue power supplies. This made the baseline wander wildly.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

He did everything by the book, he's been a dentist (with a good engineering mind) for many decades and knows this stuff. The bureaucrats simply procrastinated. They don't have to worry about consequences if lazy.

In any of the companies I've worked for they would.

Where the hell have you worked so far?

Union protection. Union shops are mostly like that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Ever heard of the new Bay Bridge? The government folks made that "very safe", right?