Cheap Chinese 'scope?

Price is tempting, looks adequate. Anyone used one? Good buy for $25, or garbage?

Father Haskell

"Measurable frequency: 0Hz -----3kHz"

Doesn't even adequately cover audio.

I wouldn't call it even remotely "adequate".

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

"Max voltage: 0---5V"

Looks like utter and complete garbage, even worse than a cheap sound card with a resistor divider (or maybe that's what it really is, plus a total bandwidth screw-up). The cheapest sound chip plus an LM139 for the trigger could have done better. Definitely not worth buying unless you'd like to throw money down the drain.

--
Dimitrij
Reply to

Anyone have a recommendation for something useful up to 100 MHz at 1 MHz prices? lol

I don't really want a full sized unit on my desk. I want a device that uses the PC for display and control. But they aren't so cheap either if you find one that seems worthwhile. I see some Hantek units, but as the bandwidth goes up the price goes up just as fast! I also can't find anyone who has used one of these.

Is it really that expensive to make a fast front end or are they just setting the price according to the functionality? If so, that means there isn't enough competition.

--

Rick
Reply to

$25, or

0- 3 kHz covers all but the two highest octaves, actually. You do lose the higher freq harmonics and other nuances that make a sound interesting, though. Or the transients that screw it up.

For Morse code with a log and two rocks, maybe.

What's the cheapest similar design worth buying?

Reply to
Father Haskell

"Measurable frequency: 0Hz -----3kHz"

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

The analog front end probably isn't that hard. On the digital side, you really want a single-shot sample rate of at least 10x your analog bandwidth (20x is nicer). For a "typical" 100 MHz scope that means 1 G Sa/sec, with (hopefully) sub-nsec jitter.

Picoscope seems to have the best numbers. Their prices look like they're close to comparable desktop DSOs from Instek or Rigol.

Reply to
Rich Webb

Yeah, but Pico units are really pricey. I forget the details, but I think they want $2K for a 300 MHz unit although that may be a 500 MHz BW unit and it may include some digital inputs. I just remember I didn't go any further than their price page.

I did a little searching over the last half hour and found a hand held unit with the Hantek name on it. I don't see it at the Hantek site, but that doesn't surprise me. The DSO1202B claims 200 MHz BW and 1 GHz sample rate. The main difference with the DSO1200 seems to be the DSO1200 has a 500 MHz sample rate and 32 KSample buffer while the 1202B has a 1 MSample buffer.

I found a couple of reviews on the 1200 where folks seem to recommend a Rigol desktop unit over this, but not because they have used it. I think a handheld might be a great combination of small size on the desk along with full functionality for stand alone operation. It even runs 6 hours on batteries, well, the 1200 does, I haven't found this spec for the 1202B yet.

I would like digital inputs too, but just haven't found anything decent at a "reasonable" price. Obviously if everyone is charging more than I want to pay that makes their price UNreasonable... lol

--

Rick
Reply to

Garbage. Only good to 3KHz. Even the worst 44KHz sampling internal sound card will show something up to 20KHz. Use sound card based PC scope software instead (which also includes a function generator): For audio, also see:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

100Mhz / 3Khz = 33,333.3333

So if you buy 33K of these you will have 100Mhz.

;-)

Reply to
hamilton

This unit might possibly go down to DC, which most soundcards don't do. Still, it is kind of laughable.

I'm not a fan of blackbox devices in general. You are a slave to the drivers and software. I like having a real display, and then the ability to feed it to a PC. Based on those cheap Rigols, all they use in China is XP. Worse yet, activex.

There is a hack for the rtlsdr to do direct sampling to around 30MHz.

I wouldn't mind setting one up to sample 10.7MHz directly. The rtlsdr isn't really a good radio, but if you feed it the 10.7MHz out on some of the icoms with wideband 10.7MHz output, you could have a nice panadapter.

Reply to
miso

rickman wrote in news:km3v45$clc$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Just download a free Oscilloscope program from the internet.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

That isn't a very good oscilloscope for other than audio. No DC and an upper frequency of 20 kHz. That doesn't do for most of my work.

--

Rick
Reply to