Low end scopes & where to buy

Hi,

I'm searching for low end scopes such as Rigol, Atten, Owon, etc. So far I'm sold on the Rigol DS 1052E. I was about to buy it at dealexcel.com because they're selling this $600 scope for $390. On their website they have a bunch of email addresses (e.g., snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com), which seemed unusual to me because they are the admin email addresses to yahoo and hotmail. As expected all of these email addresses bounced back!

Their website traffic rating shown by Alexa.com is almost nonexistent. IOW, they don=92t have hardly any traffic. I found a few posts about them at various forums, but they immediately seemed odd because the post sounded like a plug from the owner of dealexcel.com because the post gave two of their website addresses. That seemed a bit unlikely that a buyer would know about their multiple websites.

1) Does anyone know anything about this company.

2) Any recommendations on a low end scope. I like the Rigol DS 1052E because it has 1 mega points storage memory, 1 Gsps. Also it's more popular than the others such as Atten. IOW, a lot of people discussing it, people have successfully update the firmware. The biggest comes from a EE at youtube, Dave Jones, who used to design scopes can't say enough about how great this scope. Dave opened the scope up and was impressed at the quality parts used. Here's one of his videos,

The only bad thing Dave found was Rigol is over clocking the scope.

Reply to
Paul

I should add that on their contact us page they have a gmail email address that seems legit. So I'll try that. Still it's odd they don't show an email address from their own website; e.g., snipped-for-privacy@dealexcel.com

Regards, Paul

Reply to
Paul

You know, actually, IMO this company is real bad news. I=92ve decided to stay away from them regardless. They get practically no traffic-- reference, alexa.com. They place invalid and to be honest email addresses that they IMO they could get sued for claiming (e.g., yahoo & hotmail admin emails). They don=92t even have their own email address. They provide no phone numbers on their contact page. And the price is suspiciously low.

Regards, Paul

Reply to
Paul

Not I. For one data point, though, I've done a lot of personal purchases over at

and have never had any problems.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

If it smells like a rat, it probably is. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Basic rules of commerce and internet commerce.

Someone with low but all positive feedback is selling the one you want for $470 on sleazebay. Then again, it's from Hong Kong - but if you get your complaint in on time if they screw you, you should be able to get your money back, unlike D from BC.

OTOH, depending what exactly you have in mind with "low end scope", used can work remarkably well, and at an attractive price point. You may be thinking of low-end that's not quite low-enough end for that to work out for you, I don't know. My "low end" scope has no samples at all - it's analog, major brand, and aging well while remaining useful - and set me back a whole $100 with 10X probes.

I'm far more confident about it being in working condition 10 years from now than I would be betting on a new China scope, but that's my opinion.

A great deal depends on what you are going to do with it. Several Tek

2645's have gone at about your price point recently on sleazebay, for instance - analog, yes, but 4 channels at 400MHz is a pretty nice "low end scope", and it's Tek, not Rigol, quality - if you believe that Tek makes quality scopes, or used to. For $60 over your price point you can (at the moment) get a Tek TDS340A, "tested and working" from a high-feedback domestic seller that will do 2Gs/s (and quaintly has a floppy drive - how nice ;-( )
Ecnerwal

Hi,

Did you mean another scope because the Tek TDS340A is about a $2500 scope. The Rigol DS 1052E is a $500 scope. I'd love to get a 4 channel 2.5Gs/s 400MHz scope, but they're too expensive.

Reply to
Paul

Paul Inscribed thus:

Caveat Emptor !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I meant what I typed. Not new, used. Price was as mentioned and "buy it now" this afternoon - can't say if it's been bought since. If you can't find it on sleazebay you're not looking terribly hard. Try completed auctions if it doesn't show up on current auctions anymore.

Ecnerwal

Has anyone heard of AideTek oscilloscopes? Here's an interesting scope, but I can't find the company website.

b1fd

Regards, Paul

Reply to
Paul

And if you only need 1MHz:

For $99 I'm really considering buying one just for low frequency stuff.

[...]

How about half that, plus the pleasure of building your own:

DIY Digital Storage Oscilloscope

Parallax

is offering a USB Oscilloscope for $140.

Enjoy...

Frank McKenney

--
  ...[I]n order that men should resist injustice, something more
  is necessary than that they should think injustice is unpleasant.

I agree! The DSO Nano is awesome for it's category. Such a cute little scope.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Hi, i am the administrator of the site that you said, because we lack of experiences of building website, but it will never influence the good product, and i will tell you why can we sell this at $390, because all the products that we got directly from the manufacturer--rigol, and we sold it at low price is just for extend our business.

you can also read the review left by other customers of ours, thanks for understanding

dealexcel