New type of vacuum tube

I've never grown up. Most of my tube experience was with 1950 to about 1975 FM 2-way radios, which were full of tubes of various denomination. I still keep a few of these in the shop, for no obvious reason.

Fortunately, I don't see any evidence of tubes making a comeback in

2-way radio equipment. As far as I'm concerned, the audiophiles can have their tubes. They were fragile, dangerous, unstable, sucked power, and had a limited lifetime. When they buried the last tube, they forgot to pound a stake through its heart.

Attach an antenna to the speaker leads, add some positive feedback, and you probably would have a functional 160 or 80 meter AM transmitter.

I play keyboard by ear: I can't read music notation (self taught), so real Mozart is not in my repertoire. It also doesn't help that I never play anything twice the same way. Improved fidelity will not improve my keyboard pounding.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:22:19 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

IBM made an eleven Mega-pixel OLED display where each pixel was illuminated by a single fiber from a set of TI micro-mirror chips. All were equal length.

It was several grand in price.. A rare item these days.. One for the museum(s) for sure.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I don't know about the better stuff. I think they are like CPUs. They are only improving by very small increments. I'm not sure the price is dropping so fast these days either, at least not for anything other than huge screens.

--

Rick
Reply to

What made you think I missed that point?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

VFDs work fine as triodes. They _are_ triodes - albeit with split grid & split anode - so kinda hexadecima-triodes :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

the exterior construction is the same. It likely makes more sense for them to make little versions of their VFDs than switch to some other construction. VFD triodes always had the plusses of long life & low heater power.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

'are proud to announce the successful development of the ground breaking technology, Nutube, a new miniaturized and high performance tube'

'As with previous vacuum tubes, this newly-developed Nutube is structured with an anode, grid, and filament, and operates as a complete triode tube,'

The VFD-like glass structure is a bit of a giveaway too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Voltage gain is about 20 on 90v. The grid spacing is very fine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The construction leads to think that it is plenty more microphonic than a 12AX7 (which was already a nuisance).

--

-TV
Reply to

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:54:29 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Then you haven't been looking.

Even 4k displays have dropped significantly. You know... the new high res...

Sheesh. wake up.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:16:10 +0300, Tauno Voipio Gave us:

Mount it on a cotton bed. :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

nothing wrong with liking a little distortion

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That is a good thing in a guitar amplifier, adding harmonics to the otherwise dry electric guitar sound.

For any general purpose amplifier, the non-linear transfer function, in addition to harmonics, also generates nasty sounding intermodulation distortion, which are not harmonically related to the original tones.

Reply to
upsidedown

it can be good or bad, depending on the distortion

some distortion sounds nasty, some nice.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

huh? why use OLED in a DLP based display?

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Lotza GOOD ideas! Check potential sales of each and dew some marketing; don't leave the Moses (profit) in the vacuum..

Reply to
Robert Baer

You mean those that require FOUR HDMI drivers? Where the F are the video boards that support that? And more pointedly, ALL 4 at the exact same time (and in synch)? Natch, this pushes the BW requirements to the net sources (if any).

Needs awesome grunting and moaning...

Reply to
Robert Baer

A single CWDM fiber should easily feed a 4k or even 8k display.

Reply to
upsidedown

A guitar only generates 6 simultaneous tones (bass only 4) and these tones are more or less harmonically rated, thus even intermodulation products fall on some frequencies in the tonal scale.

If you use a single ended stage, which will generate mostly even harmonics, of which the second, 4th, 8th are octaves apart from the fundamental.

Harmonics are generally considered a good thing. In fact the ear bones generate harmonics at high audio levels, thus a harmonics rich sound is felt to be louder.

With a large number of frequencies in a general purpose PA system, some intermodulation frequencies may fall on frequencies outside any tonal scale.

Reply to
upsidedown

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 22:44:31 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

You are a true idiot.

All modern vid cards drive UHDTV array size.

Damned near all of them. Even the cheaper lines from the major card makers.

More pointedly. GROW THE FUCK UP. Your presumptions PROVE that you spend your entire life GUESSING instead of actually LOOKING at what is in the channel.

You are a child among men with antiquated hardware and an antiquated brain to go with it.

Yes, particularly among those who notoriously and unerringly fail to keep up. Weren't you on AOL with a modem on a POTS line? Or do you need that technology explained to you as well.