New Raspberry Pi 4 presented today

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:09:24 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Well, opinions.. Last windows I had came with the laptop was it XP? removed it and replaced it with Ubuntu, everything worked immediately.

No, that is not how it works. But people DO need education to use advanced systems. I find it strange that that Pi4 they tested runs that google browser (cannot remember the name) I have seamonkey on laptop and PCs and I have no problems with youtube videos. I do not use the raspis I have for browsing, in fact none even have a monitor connected, it is all ssh -Y from the main PC, and the main PC can play youtube fine. But I have a lot of real useful stuff running on those raspis, this runs 24/7 for example:

I can access it from the main PC, it records 24/7 there to H264, but that program can also use the raspi monitor.

You can specify a different player I think, and then make a script that calls omxplayer,

Well, US is maybe a different case:-) But even the Precedent types text in twitter.

So silly, such a lot of work looking through icons, such a limited choice if no command line options such a horrible search through menus, it is really for the idiots.

Look at it this way, you need a special screw (this was my experience weeks ago) No you go to teh super market / DIY store and see shelves full of the ones you do not want, wasting time. I asked the guy in the hardware shop hen I could not find what I wanted, he came with me looking, we discussed solution (was for putting up a new fence here) and finally we agreed on some stuff, and last week I put up the new fence and no problem. Linux command line is like that, my computah speaks English! Wanna know something? apropos something try it then man whatever then run it

And learn programming in C not that kiddie snake stuff. ... if

WHAT does not work on youtube?

On a pi? Look Joerg, I have a huge collection of movies. I converted some in Linux with ffmpeg to a suitable format for my big Samsung 3D TV. On a harddisk connected to that TV. But I have just a much fun or more watching movies on this monitor. I do not give a shit about 4k HD, it is the story not the hi-res.. That was the nice thing about books, the visualization was left to the imagination, and at least my imagination surpasses the 4K TV in many ways ;-) I remember reading Tolkien (Frodo stuff), and being touched to tears, and then that movie came, well OK, nice job, but don't give a shit...

OK, so you discovered Linux. I switched to Linux in 1998 when I found SLS Linux (Softlanding System Linux then) on a CD that came with some magazine. There we very few application available, so I wrote what I needed, this newsreader is one of those early works:

it still works perfectly until this day, written using the RFC spec. I have written almost everything you can think of and it all runs here from email to video, I dunno, and also a lot for raspberries, so you could learn from that. After all the raspberry was to introduce kids to computing, affordable, a teaching instrument that is why I have some with a free version of mathlab.
More typing :-)

man man, just WRITE the fix, why wait for the other part of the universe to do it for you ? Thats IS how open source works.

Now you did say you were retiring IIRC, well plenty of time, get a decent keyboard, and have a go. My Unix (I started with that before Linux existed) book was a great help to get going in Linux.

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Test is OK, but has some silly remarks like 'charging' via USB, and

It was the exact opposite here. A lot of stuff no longer worked after switching to Linux. Some never did, such as hibernate. Then some stuff worked and after a regular OS update of Lubuntu it no longer did, such as audio on Youtube. Doesn't leave a very professional taste but, oh well, it's free.

The main reason for my switch is that I am gradually retiring so the number of important programs that won't run under Linux is shrinking and I do not wish to expose myself to Windows 10 next year.

We were talking about the Raspberry. Of course a PC can do it, even with Linux.

Such more embedded applications are some of the reasons I'd like to jump to Raspberry, mainly to automate my hobby brewrey a bit more than it is. But it has to properly run Youtube full screen so I can watch mountain bike videos while waiting for the next hop additions.

Well, I do not want to become a hardcore programmer. This sort of stuff should work out-of-the-box on any modern system. So far it doesn't on the Rasberry even after several generations. Beats me why, since the Android boxes can do it with much less CPU horsepower for years it can't be rocket science.

Texting on Twitter has absolutely nothing to do with command line work. It's essentially modern day typewriter use, at best.

You don't seem to know any programs with good GUI.

Example: Try to find the movies or even still images you like via the command line, only being able to see their file names.

I don't want to learn any programming. Believe it or not but I successfully went through several decades of career without it. Whenever something needs to be coded I outsource that just like I do with board layouts.

MPEG playback. That is not enough to make Youtube work. The computer has to properly execute HTML5 or run a Youtube app.

Canned movies work fine, even on a Rasberry. That's not what we are talking about. We are talking about browsing Youtube, finding this, that and the other thing, then watching the selected movie right on Youtube like I did yesterday. You want to _quickly_ be able to try all those until you find the movie you like. That simply does not work via the command line.

Well, I use Thunderbird as a newsreader since day one, no need to write anything myself. It just works. Same with all other stuff. For example, if something needs to be automated there are reay-made GUI programs such as Azeotech DAQFactory for that. Why should I spend time re-inventing the wheel?

I am not a software coder and it is also no fun for me. Then, I do not necessarily need the fix as I can simply buy an Android box. It costs less than a Rasberry and does Youtube nicely. That's what I did for the living room. Might do the same for downstairs, an Android box for Youtube and a small laptop with a Labjack for automation.

I tried a bit of that, didn't like it. About the same "fun" as having to eat pea soup which I don't like. For many people like me retiring does not mean more free time as we engage more in volunteering. In my case much of that is lay caregiving and elder care visits. There comes a point where one should give back to society, IMHO. Long story short this does not leave much time to pick up a new hobby.

Also, getting older one should engage in more sporting activities and programming is pretty bad in that respect as it is a very sedentary activity.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Jun 2019 15:13:11 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Again, Linux works just fine, a lot better than MS stuff. Again Raspberry is an education system, if Tom's review treats it as a full blown PC, and then cannot get youtube working, means he is just observing and clueless to the purpose of that raspberry.

And yes it is meant to make all sort of projects, if YOU want something YOU think should be there, WRITE IT!!! That is the idea.

You are talking about your house guests, so leave a nice PC for them with whatever you think they need. If it is a techy kid give it a Raspberry, make sure you secretly keep a backup of the sdcard that works and have them have a go.

I have backups of every raspi system here on hardisk on a normal PC, and on a stand alone 1TB, and some on optical.

One system I sometimes use is copy the youtube URL, do a google for 'save youtube video', select that site, copy that youtube URL into it and save the youtube video to harddisk. then I can play it with whatever I want whenever I want even if not online. l ~/youtube_videos/ ...

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20613192 Jan 7 2014 Schlieren_photography_of_moving_air.webm

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10699185 May 21 2014 NASA_SDO_fiery_looping_rain_on_the_sun.flv

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7248818 Jul 1 2014 The_pilot-wave_dynamics_of_walking_droplets.flv ....

BTW 'l' is short for ls -rtl, specify in your .bashrc script. No way around scripts and command lines in Linux.

Even on the raspberries I have replaced whatever the GUI is these days with my good old fvwm using 9 virtual screens, 8 of these have rxvt terminals, one has xfm file selector with icons one runs browser, an other one an audio mixer, well for software development you want terminals pdf datasheet in one, source code in one, compiler in the next, other program to connect to in other terminals, ssh to other putahs on the LAN or wherever more terminal, standard setup in ALL systems here, Compiled from source every time, no raspberry release is left untouched. :-)

Because again, it is a learning system, fix it is a challenge, else buy a rubbing device (als called 'pad' sometimes).

There is no difference, my puter speaks English If I type show zdf then this happens:

look at how it talks to you from top left.

show bbc1

or videotext (spoken as ceefax in the UK):

Want full screen? Just hit 'f' all programs I wrote, xdipo dish positioning (it has to move, BBC1 is on a different satellite than ZDF, xvtx-p is a ceefax viewer I wrote, with click on number and four pages at the time, macros and a whole lot of things nobody else has. The little window top right shows my raspi router net connection, the little xterm on the bottom right I specially opened for you to be able to get a root window screen shot.... uploaded with a simple script to my website...

Joerg you have work to do (and BTW all this also runs on raspi), I have voice command too, but never use it, not even sure it is still compiled on this PC. Same xdipo will tune to qo100 satellite ..

that is the ham wideband transponder on es'hail-2 qo100... decoded with leansdr in software (did not write that one myself) etc etc

The programs I wrote / write that have a GUI have a GOOD GUI, there are now almost a hundred.

You really have no clue Joerg about the subject.

cat /root/dvd-list.txt | grep amovie show all movies I have

cat /root/dvd-list.txt | grep amovie | grep bond show all bond movies I have

cat /root/dvd-list.txt | grep amovie | grep star will likely show all the starwars movies etc etc say it says: From Russia With Love (I am safe I have the DVD too, cuppy thing..)

panteltje12: ~ # cat dvd-list.txt | grep -i from_russia

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5938849792 Oct 8 16:37 bond_from_russia_with_love.mpg

so then simply type: xine bond_from_russia_with_love.mpg or mplayer bond_from_russia_with_love.mpg

ffwd etc is so fast with mplayer you will find anything in seconds.

You want to see individual pictures and write Dutch subtitles for a movie? I wrote that too:

OK it is getting boring Get a clue, program something in Linux, then ask again if you run into trouble Else just stay with mswidows :-)

can use any editor I want, I use 'joe', been using it for > 20 years I think.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That is your opinion. My experience so far is different and I am not alone.

Then why is even the Raspberyy Foundation harping on discussions to use it as a PC?

In real life that doesn't work for driver-level stuff. Which is probably why nobody has ever written a fix for the sluggish Youtube performance of the Raspberry over many years.

I will probably do that now, not a PC but an Android box or get a tablet with HDMI output. I am the kind of guy who looks for the easiest solution for a given problem.

That's like the method I used to start my Citroen 2CV. GRab the small wood stick and the hand crank, open the hood, place the wood stick under the regulator contacts in the (always open) regulator box, plug in a stack of D-cells, crank the engine, remove the wood piece, close the hood, remove the D-cell stack, start motoring out onto the roads. Simple, right?

Yeah, that's one of the problems I already figured out in Linux. Back to the 70's. It's ok, I grew up with it but I do not like to go backwards.

That's fine for hobbyists who like to program. For me a computer of any sorts doesn't receive a higher regard than a tool such as a pair of pliers.

Then it should be advertized as such. Just as Linux should not be advertized as an Windows alternative.

I don't need all that sermon in the command line windows.

As I said this does not work if you are searching for something where you only vaguely remember the details and where you need to look at umpteen _pictures_ simultaneously in a fast scroll. That won't work at all via command line.

Looking for a mainstream TV station is a piece of cake, finding that video about that lone mountain bike trail you want to re-visit but where you only remember the scenery from an actual ride is not.

Surprised that teletext still lives. My dad used it to track our flights over but that was last century.

My "work-work" won't run on a Raspberry, that needs the big i7 machine here.

For you as a programmer that's easy. For non-programmers like me it isn't.

Then I don't get it why you do not understand my examples and the value a GUI can provide over a command line.

It is _not_ about movies I have, it is about the ones I do _not_ have. Searching for such stuff as outlined above and in posts before without a GUI is useless.

I converted one computer to Linux so far, for my wife. Some things no longer work in Linux but it's "good enough". Next up is the lab bench PC when I have time. No rush there because that one isn't used for Internet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Jun 2019 09:22:59 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Sure, but try to understand what I wrote.

... Again

Anybody can discuss anything (this group being g a perfect example of that) and indeed you can use a raspberry (any Raspberry Pi) as general purpose PC.

get a life, when in 19998 I started with Linux it was on a DX2-66 That twas the days of Win3.1, running on DRDOS for me, trumpet winsock and NOBODY did say it was not a general purpose PC.

What we call general purpose PC has changed a lot since X86, or Kaypro II for that matter.

Are you always so silly self centered?

Who The Fuck do you think writes all those kernel drivers, all that application software? All people who do it for fun, and if you cannot find a way to use it, then it is your problem. those kernel developers do great work. There are fantastic application developers, unlike half sleeping moronic tinkers that work for MS or even Boeing it seems for max profit only.

Nothing is perfect, but it is constantly being developed and if YOU do not take the time to study 1) Unix, 2) Linux, 3) how to write scripts, 4) how to program for that system, then go elsewhere with your silly complaints. You have money buy a core I7 or whatever,

For your alcoholic drives a simple PIC micro controller would likely already be overkill, I would then write that in PIC asm, but here nobody already wrote it for you, how bad of them. Do NOT piss me off, study the raspi, learn how to use it, CONTRIBUTE f*cking something and stop complaining like an idiot. I Have Spoken.

I just wrote an other program that does not exist to fix a problem I encountered with some cameras. It is almost ready for release so an other one, few hours work, interesting, fun, testing, making a release,

The world is full of complainers, no shortage of those. If it is not to your linking and beyond your capabilities to fix it, then hire someone if you cannot afford that, find an other hobby or stop drinking that also solves the problem. Again I have Spoken,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje