new icicles

I think winter is pretty much done around here. (knock on wood) Snow is mostly melted and the black birds are back, making a racket and emptying the bird feeder in minutes.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We are optimistic that the snow season has yet to peak. We get our water from the snowpack.

It's kind of thin now.

Blackbirds are stoopid. The European ones anyway (not sure if they are the same elsewhere). Must be the dumbest birds in existence I shouldn't wonder. Males are by far the worst in this regard. Females must despair of them. --

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one of the numerous and varied legion of dullards, of half-animate abortions, conceited, half-educated coxcombs who attach themselves to the idea most in fashion, only to vulgarise it and who caricature every cause they serve, however sincerely."

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Does the snowpack last year round? I've got a well that I can't run dry with the pump I have... several years ago I made a skating rink. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

These are mostly red winged blackbirds... though it's a big mixed flock. I'm in no position to judge bird intelligence. But when breeding season gets going and the flock flies in there will be one alpha male with his red badges out and the rest will keep their's somewhat shielded. The woodcock should be back soon... It doesn't come to the feeder, but it's one of my favorite birds. Spring at dusk it does the most amazing sound dance in the air, I think flapping it's wings in weird ways. GH

Reply to
George Herold

Ah. Different breed altogether, clearly. --