Finding pinout of a servo encoder?

Building an XY stage with Buhler 1.13.043 servos salvaged from an old HP ink jet plotter. Documentation is nil. The encoders have 5 pins. There are two rows of holes on the disk, one coarse and the other fine, so I asume there are two sensors. How would you go about figuring out the pinout without doing any damage?

I am thinking that if I can find which pins go to the LED I can use the 'scope to figure out the output. I am reading 32 meg between pins 1 (+) and

4 (-) but that seems mighty high. All other combinations are open circuit.
--
Glenn Ashmore

I\'m building a 45\' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

asume

and

asuming the info cant be found, if it was me id use my fluke 77's diode tester. puts out 1 ma I think, cant do much damage, a normal led would show up 2-3 volts. of course the sensor might be harder to determine what it is, maybe its a simple photo diode or photo transistor or some integrated device if its fairly new.

Colin. =^.^=

Reply to
colin