Nest sounds nasty

Predated (probably by a decade) by (*formally*): "If you're not paying for it, *you* are the customer." which, of course, is the whole basis for advertising media, etc. ("free" radio, TV, print publications, etc.)

This actually makes sense. You don't want to rely on the customer's internet service in order to gain access to the data (that is of interest to the solar supplier). Nor do you want to rely on the customers' notions of "security" to safeguard that data! Imagine the number of Shodan hits for "nest thermostat"? "XYZ solar panel?" etc.

Involving "another" in a "technology relationship" in which they REALLY don't add any value is a sucker's game. Imagine how much data is leaked by all those "Smart" TV's!

"Gee, I can view all sorts of content! And, I don't even need a remote control! I just wave my hands and it KNOWS that I want to change the channel!"

[For folks who are queasy if their pets are in the same room while they are making out, I wonder if they put a sheet over the TV and disconnect it from power and network??]

Google, Apple, MS, etc. are all looking for a "beachhead" into the home. They need to get past your time in front of the computer in order to "tailor their services" to your needs (i.e., sell YOU to other vendors).

The thermostat is a logical function as "every" home has one. It's trivial to implement. Can be peddled as "paying for itself" (in energy savings), etc.

Once the "customer" is accustomed to having an external agency's tentacles

*in* their home, it's only logical that the services offered by that agency be increased -- home security, monitoring, etc. Put just enough smarts in that "beachhead device" (gateway) and the followup devices can be trivial little "motes" that cost pennies to produce, etc. On a par with a wireless key fob...

I suspect most people:

- have largely consistent usage patterns (weekday vs weekend)

- don't want to mess with technology

- want it to "just work" So, the functionality of a "smart thermostat" is little more than that of a *programmable* thermostat (with the exception that you don't have to program it) augmented by a finer-grained scheduling of actual setpoint changes (i.e., let *it* figure out when to change the setpoint so the house reaches the desired temperature at the specified time -- instead of the homeowner having to "program" that anticipation into the schedule).

Yawn.

OTOH, if it can adjust to compensate for "comfort factors" to eliminate the need for the occupants to "tweak the settings" (cuz it's awfully damp, today; or the wind is blowing intensely; or...) then it actually adds some value.

If it can "know" that the house WILL warm from it's current setting of "desired temperature - 2 degrees" to the "desired temperature" WITHOUT the need for a blast of heat *now*, then it has arguably contributed to the household.

If it can know that the swamp cooler shouldn't be run this morning because it will NOT be able to keep up with the expected afternoon temperatures (necessitating use of the ACbrrr) which would then require the ACbrrr to remove all of that moisture that it has injected into the building hours from now, then it adds value (by NOT requiring the occupant to come to this realization)

If it knows that the windows are open and running the ACbrrr (or heat) would be pure folly...

etc.

But, now you intimidate the homeowner. Esp if they are relying on some remote service to *hopefully* "get it right".

Reply to
Don Y

I assume you meant to write

"If you're not paying for it, *you* are the product."

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not really. The networking stack on a real OS may have bugs, but the ones on "devices" tend to be an absolute joke by comparison. Like, the code doesn't even consider the possibility of malicious packets, or invalid packets, or in fact anything other than what the supplied PC-side driver software will send it.

Most of the issues with software quality tend to be at the application layer. Developers using the Windows-style "ship now, fix later" development process, but without the "fix later" part.

Reply to
Nobody

  • Seems to be typical SOP (more like SlOPpy) in CA, OR and WA.
Reply to
Robert Baer

My electronics cave is located too far away from my wood burning stove to provide sufficient heat: So, I just fire up some of the more power hungry pieces of test equipment, go away for about 30 mins, and the shop is warm enough to use. Temperature is controlled by the number of spectrum analyzers running. When I don't need to use a spectrum analyzer, I drag in the portable electric heater.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

They would bring out the SWAT team and call the NSA over that shit here.

Reply to
jurb6006

On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 22:31:31 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Don't you mean "spectrum analyzah" dipshit? Oh and "heatah"... let's not forget that.

That stupid shit makes you a lamah.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 22:40:06 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Way back when I did cable post wire installs, the underground crew would come and bore a hole under the road with a long horizontal drill thingy and then install a PVC conduit, and pull the cables through that (Greater Cincinnati).

It gets a bit harder when there are more than a couple lanes. Driveways and sidewalks are easy. Streets require "permissions".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm sure people on this forum are aware of Samsung's statement w.r.t. their smart tv: Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition. from which also has a very apt picture.

Curiously it appears that left pondians are more worried about government slurping data and right pondians about corporations slurping data. I wonder if both are right.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sure they are great! But these apps rely on you (well, you and the others) broadcasting the current position and speed. And... everyone seems happy to tell google when and where they are going and when and where they are speeding! This data WILL BE sold to your car insurance company or ... (insert your own)

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

The stand-alone GPS units rely on VHF traffic information and AFAIK do not (can not) send data back to anyone. I don't know where they get the traffic information- maybe from cell phone companies. But they can route you around traffic jams without selling your soul.

If it's in your smartphone, you're padding the dossier on everything else you do. The default in iphones is to create a list of "frequent locations" where you go (and how long you spend) all nicely laid out on a map. Creepy.

You can turn off your end of the data collection (or at least the display), but I'm not sure that makes it any less creepy- they're still collecting the information, and you're paying handsomely for the data services and equipment to be tracked.

In some places, your smart phone seems to be morphing into a primary identification like a drivers' licence. Probably it can be used like that in most places anyway (unless you buy a burner phone) since most people use credit cards, but forcing everyone to produce ID when they get a phone would seal the deal.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

My car came with heated seats, individual controls, which I thought was silly. It's not.

lunatic fringe electronics

Much better to live somewhere it doesn't get cold enough to bother with such nonsense. ;-)

Reply to
krw

It never gets very cold in San Francisco, rarely below 40F, but we do go up into the mountains, where it can get into single digits. She likes the seat warmer and I can survive the heat.

Sometimes we swap seats and I feel really weird. Seat warmer.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yeah, this concept that to turn up the heat 1 degree, you need to involve 5 billion $ worth of network equipment and server farms spanning the entire country (or maybe the world) is just ludicrous!

And, maybe there are serious security concerns with having anybody who knows how figure out when you are home, or sleeping.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

In that case you probably need coolers. Given the option of feeling a bit warm or cold, I'd choose cold since I can usually get warm by adding clothing.

In the UK this winter, for the first time I can remember, I haven't had to scrape the frost off my car windows in the morning. Remarkable.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Our GPS-based car navigation system - TomTom - gets its traffic information from the data channel on FM radio, and doesn't use the route to send infor mation out.

In the Netherlands the traffic information was collected from the cell-phon e companies, who know how many active cell phones are moving along any give n major road. The information is made anonymous before it gets out of the c ell-phone company - they only say how many phones are moving, and not whose .

Sure. In Australia the airlines will download your boarding card to your sm art phone, and the bar-code reader at the loading gate can read it off the smart-phone screen.

Burner phones are going to become as suspect as paying for stuff with wads of used notes.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's called AC. ;-)

I had to scrape the windows once. I was in Detroit a couple of weeks ago. :-( It may snow here (PA), before we can bug out in the morning. 2x :-(

Reply to
krw

That graph lies. power output almost certainly approaches zero during hours of darkness.

So don't redirect it, copy it!

They may not retain hourly stats going back past two months.

Last month I was in a meeting with a locally based solar inverter manufacturer discussing of all things web interfaces, and they don't keep detailed statatstics forevever, past some threshold they only retain daily etc...

If the device has a heartbeat, like energy meters do, that blinks every so-many joules; you could likely monitor that without voiding any warranties.

Another option would be to scrape their website for the data.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

True, but you'll never see it hit zero when each data point is the total power for the day. The dips you see are from clouds and tree shadows. You can see the output hit zero on a typical weekly graph such as:

That's not easily done. The Enphase EMU controller is hard coded for the vendors destination IP address. I tried sniffing the traffic and found that it also goes through a VPN. It is possible to hack the controller, but that would be cheating. There are methods of sniffing the data, hacking the controller, and configuring the router to redirect the data, but I would like to avoid that. Basically, if you use one vendors controller, you're stuck with a single vendor for web based data collection and display. etc...

They do. I can pick any 2 week window that the system has been active and get hourly data. Incidentally, when I look anything between 2 and

4 months range, the graphs are mutilated thanks to what I guess is a broken averaging algorithm. I don't have anything suitable for posting right now, but if anyone wants examples, I can supply them.

Every vendor is different. Enphase offers 20 year offsite data retention for their electric power meter products. However, their solar power data site has come under fire from privacy advocates, resulting in legal documents such as: They still post some numbers to their public site, but only with the system owners permission: Note that you cannot download raw data from the public site and that it is difficult to identify individual system owners and locations. Numbers from a local church: They show data back to Aug 2013, when the system was installed. About a year ago, someone unplugged the EMU from the router which caused data uploads to stop. I know that the EMU can store at least 7 weeks of data because that's how long it took for someone to plug it back in.

Other vendors have different retention policies and web sites. I don't want to burn the time itemizing those. I also don't want to burn the time calculating how much data from one panel might be stored and retained on the vendors web pile.

I'm interested in production numbers, not flashing lights. They also need to be per-panel to deal with failures of individual panels.

I don't believe you understand the problem. I can easily get summary data from the vendors web site. What I can't get is raw data, which is necessary to product detailed production statistics and diagnostics. While that data can be displayed by the vendor on a graph, the summary graphs cannot easily be used to regenerate the numbers. I'm also not thrilled with dealing with the inevitable crisis, when the vendor makes changes to their web pile, which usually breaks the data scraping software.