Pi nest box camera

My wife wants to spy on "our" blue t*ts - she's not interested in other people's webcams.

I want an excuse to buy a Raspberry Pi camera and another Pi. I was thinking of screwing a Pi to the underside of the nest box and put the camera inside with, maybe, a couple of white and/or IR LEDs. A WIFI connection to the house and the whole lot powered by a thin cable.

Is the Pi camera suitable? Has anyone done this? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Am I barking?

I've got other uses in mind for the kit outside the nesting season.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I haven't done that. I have a nest box with a plain IR video camera inside. I haven't linked it to a Pi yet and the blue t*ts and great t*ts have shown no interest in the box. :(

However, I think the Pi NoIR Camera would be a good fit for your project. It doesn't have the IR filter that the standard Pi Camera has, so it can pick up infra-red images. Otherwise it is identical to the standard Pi Camera.

Reply to
Dom

Sure. Probably perfect if your lighting is constant (closed nest box?). With IR leds, use the camera version without IR filter. If you have to deal with night/day differences, you'll have to restart the camera capture with new parameters. Or at least, I haven't found settings that work in both light and dark.

I use raspistill as the basis. Everything-auto works great in daylight: "-n -w 800 -h 600 -t 2147483647 -tl 5000 -o /run/shm/cam.jpg" (no preview, size 800x600, maximum running time, time laps capture every 5 seconds, save to ram disk as cam.jpg). But for night shots with some light from streetlights I have to add: "-ss 1000000 -ex sports" (1 second shutter time, high iso).

Reply to
A. Dumas

Excellent! This led me to:

where it states that:

raspivid -o - -t 9999999 |cvlc -vvv stream:///dev/stdin --sout '#rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8554/}' :demux=h264

will cause the Pi to stream HD video from port 8554. My wife will certainly be able to view this on one of the various PCs around the house and, who knows, I may be able to display it on one of the Pi-equipped TVs.

I think I may be on the way to justify the expenditure.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave