negative hex

Historically, for a long time, we were. It took the invention of zero, a recorded historical event in the "western" world. The invention is deeply encoded in western mathematical theory.

The creation of quadrature operators like "i", "j" and "k" was a wonderful improvement in the utility of analytical methods.

Reply to
JosephKK

What is a starry eyed optimist. They cannot teach more than half of that list even in the best of schools. They mostly teach the three "C"s. I want a return to the three "R"s.

Reply to
JosephKK

3 hours above whatever time it took to do what they asked you to do sounds about right. Billing for travel time and productivity lost time is quite normal in the business. You might wish to be more creative in how you label it (prep time?).
Reply to
JosephKK

I get to see this so often lately that it starts to bother me: It's 2's _complement_.

A _compliment_ is an expression of admiration; Not what is meant here.

Now I'll crawl back into the woodwork...

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Quite the story. When i graduated high school my parents gave me a choice," Go to college or get a job and pay rent", as i was not ready for college i chose the later. Followed USN and many and varied things while working full time through and a BS and more. 6-figure income now. May i presume that you are doing this well as well?

Reply to
JosephKK

Six figures in Euros or Pounds?

;-) Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

There are two conventions of note; Sign extension and Zero extension. They give dramatically different results. Sign extension is more common but nowhere near universal. Use of a negative sign would be rather uncommon and thus counterintuitive.

I might have a chance on my motorcycle.

Thus my issue about sign extension or not as both are conventional.

Reply to
JosephKK

Pretty good. Too bad it does not address endian-ness, let alone floating point representations in hex.

Reply to
JosephKK

There would, i expect, have been much less chaff and more contributions if you had expressed your question more clearly and completely in the first place. I had already figured out your ability to do 2's complement math, before your root post, (probably in your head) as well as anybody reasonably care for (i figure 64 bits minimum). Ya, i am only bitching about the quality of your root post in terms of obtaining an answer to the question you really seemed to want answered.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yep, you build real equipment for real users to use. That is why your business is profitable.

If only i had reason to use any of it these days. Back when i was in the test business i used all kinds off cool equipment.

Reply to
JosephKK

That is a difficult base, i prefer "e".

Reply to
JosephKK

In decimal A=2*pi*r*r. in base pi that should be A=2*r*r/(pi*pi)

Reply to
JosephKK

development time frame).

Ah, the ever-popular compiler compiler. Sure, let's get another layer or two away from the real, boring hardware.

John

Or maybe it should be ssennaidnE, for the letnI programmers of the world.

John

Post your address, and I'll send you a stack of complaint forms.

John

I'm curious about -8 MHz. Is this 180 deg out of phase with +8 MHz? Or does it mean that instead of your box generating an 8 MHz signal, it "sucks" 8 MHz from whatever your box is connected to? ;)

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave Pollum

Yes. And for arbitrary waveforms, they come out reversed in time. And polyphase waveform sets reverse their rotational directions. This is handy for, say, simulating encoders.

In some circumstances, it could.

John

Nope. I've been working for myself since about 1983. I tried to grow the business in about 1986, but that ended when my father had a stroke, from which he didn't recover very gracefully. I spent the next 9 year dividing my time between Santa Cruz and Smog Angeles, which was not very conducive to maintaining an income and various relationships. I've always been somewhat of a minimalist and have exerted a minimal effort at keeping my expenses and responsibilities low. The result is zero debt, adequate cash, and currently a dismal income on investments. I have plenty of friends with 6 figure incomes, but they all support a family (or families). They tend to have far less disposable income remaining after dealing with the family and divorce entitlements. I may not be making 6 figures, but I get to keep most of what I make.

I'm a fairly marginal RF designer and haven't designed anything that has actually worked for perhaps 20 years. Some design reviews, business plan analysis, and production troubleshooting, but no actual designs. I'm much better at finding problems than causing them. I also have investments in some speculative startups, but they seem to do better when I'm NOT involved. I spend most of my time these days doing PC repair, which doesn't pay too well, but is much easier and more entertaining.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Ever run into RSW? Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Interesting variation on negative amplitude.

Reply to
JosephKK