Need a source for 'guitar' type plugs and cabling

Sorry to post here but can't gain access to sci.electronics.repair for some reason

I need 1/4 inch TIP/RING/SHIELD plugs with FULL METAL HOUSING! and small diameter shoulders.

I went to MusiciansFriend which looked good, but their website won't work on our systems, so called, described what I needed, convinced they understood, ordered parts, promptly received package to find,...wrong connectors! only have the tip and shield, a mono plug.

I need to replace full metal housing ones [which from descriptions MusiciansFreind also carry], but these connectors are too wide and when inserted into the row they not just touch each other, but prevent good seating by forcing the physical position to be wonky. PLUS! and this is really important, within a year their internal plastic parts simply crumbled away making EVERY connector fail, cable falls out of housing, retention of anything lost. These were those highly touted, somewhat expensive metal ones which have a comfortable grip when removing from the chassis jack.

So anybody know a good [inexpensive] source for 'stereo' guitar 1/4 inch plugs with tip, ring, shield [for shielded twisted pair cabling] with FULL metal housing? yet, rather small gripping diameter?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Neutrik, here's one...

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

--
Switchcraft comes to mind, [maybe not inexpensive]:

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=75

what's the largest diameter handle you can stand?
Reply to
John Fields

Don't know if those are "narrower":

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
  return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Good, inexpensive, has all desired features -- pick any two.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Do not know about dimensions, but look at Mouser 523-TS3PN-AU (Amphenol 55010170-00-2) which is a stereo 1/4 inch "full metal jacket". Lots of choices in the smaller stuff.

Reply to
Robert Baer

This is usually "the good stuff" but not cheap:

Here is a right-angle version:

Good shop, we've ordered from there for our church.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"RobertMacy"

** The usual screw on, metal cover size is 12.4mm - ie tad under 1/2 inch.

Any smaller than that is gonna be very hard to find.

The most common use is for stereo headphones, not guitars.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

it has (at least the right angled has) that useless crimp strain relief

this is the good stuff:

and the price is about the same at mouser

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

A couple of decently-priced (and not too bad on shipping) pro-audio shops I know of, one or the other of which I actually bought some stuff from. Be careful about confusing "inexpensive" and "cheap" - cheap is just cheap, and is usually expensive (fell apart in a year - spiffy.) Chinese counterfeit Neutrik stuff is terrible, and is barely less expensive than actual Neutrik from Lichtenstein, for instance.

Ecnerwal

I've used Neutrik in a design last year, good stuff, and I would have recommended these. However, they bulge out at the cable end and that looks like the issue Robert had.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes the "normal" ones (C type) are wider at the cable end, PX is "slimline" only 14.5mm

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Thanks for the URL. will check into it.

I am VERY happy to report that just got off line with MusiciansFriend and they are shipping me the items I need. Culmination is that they have taken care of me very quickly, I'm happy and they're happy.

Basically, reached a US citizen every call, and the last one took care of everything. So, I'll probably use them again.

Again, MusiciansFriend == GOOD

Reply to
RobertMacy

WOW! that's HUGE!!! even biggger than the one that does NOT fit!

Right style, though,

I am VERY happy to report that just got off line with MusiciansFriend and they are shipping me the items I need. Culmination is that they have taken care of me very quickly, I'm happy and they're happy.

Basically, reached a US citizen every call, and the last one took care of everything. So, I'll probably use them again.

Again, MusiciansFriend == GOOD

Reply to
RobertMacy

For some reason these 'new' websites hang, or crash, all our systems, and Mouser is one of them, so can't go surfing around there.

I am VERY happy to report that just got off line with MusiciansFriend and they are shipping me the items I need. Culmination is that they have taken care of me very quickly, I'm happy and they're happy.

Basically, reached a US citizen every call, and the last one took care of everything. So, I'll probably use them again.

Again, MusiciansFriend == GOOD

Reply to
RobertMacy

Thank you for the URLs but you again reinforce by major battles with today's vendors. After 40 minutes THAT URL and their websites do NOTHING on all of our systems! I'm lucky didn't crash our system.

I am VERY happy to report that just got off line with MusiciansFriend and they are shipping me the items I need. Culmination is that they have taken care of me very quickly, I'm happy and they're happy.

Basically, reached a US citizen every call, and the last one took care of everything. So, I'll probably use them again.

Again, MusiciansFriend == GOOD

Reply to
RobertMacy

Thank you for the URLs lloks like JUST what I need, however....

I am VERY happy to report that just got off line with MusiciansFriend and they are shipping me the items I need. Culmination is that they have taken care of me very quickly, I'm happy and they're happy.

Basically, reached a US citizen every call, and the last one took care of everything. So, I'll probably use them again.

Again, MusiciansFriend == GOOD

Reply to
RobertMacy

True, through naivete I've been using the wrong terminology. However...

I am VERY happy to report that just got off line with MusiciansFriend and they are shipping me the items I need. Culmination is that they have taken care of me very quickly, I'm happy and they're happy.

Basically, reached a US citizen every call, and the last one took care of everything. So, I'll probably use them again.

Again, MusiciansFriend == GOOD

Reply to
RobertMacy

Yes, looks great, however,

I am VERY happy to report that just got off line with MusiciansFriend and they are shipping me the items I need. Culmination is that they have taken care of me very quickly, I'm happy and they're happy.

Basically, reached a US citizen every call, and the last one took care of everything. So, I'll probably use them again.

Again, MusiciansFriend == GOOD

Reply to
RobertMacy

I couldn't get thoe URLs to work, either [meaning, goes there and then just sits, or worse crashes], so gave up, but TRS is a good connector company.