NE 555p Where does pin # 1 start?

I looked at the data sheet for this ne 555p chip. I can not figure out where the pin locations are.?

As in where is pin #1 in this picture?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
AK

Pin 1 is at the corner nearest the small dot. Count counter-clockwise from there.

Reply to
rosemontcrest

Ok, so 5 would be close to the P?

Andy

Reply to
AK

Am 06.05.2019 um 22:32 schrieb AK:

yess

Reply to
Newdo

Yes.

Reply to
rosemontcrest

Check the data sheet!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Looks like it is in line with O to me.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Where do you see an O?

Reply to
rosemontcrest

On the PCB

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Yes, I overlooked the silk screening on the PCB. Pin 5 is in column O and next to the P on the IC.

Reply to
rosemontcrest

Will I need these as well?

AK

It would seem you are new to the digital side of things so it would be probably a good idea to use the chip sockets for when you let out the magic smoke. If the board you have is not big enough the use another.You may like to consider using a "breadboard" for developing or trying circuits, they have the benefits of being reuseable for small non critical circuits.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Ok. Found this.

It looks like each row of 5 is connected together.

So if I insert an 8 pin chip, that would leave me 3 other points that I could connect other things to?

Andy

Reply to
AK

You insert the chip over the centre groove and have four spare points either side of the chip that connect to the corresponding pin. (unless it's a wide chip then you may have fewer holes available)

Jasen Betts

Like Jason says and that would be a good starter for you. The 4 pins connected to each pin enables you to connect several components to them and form the circuit. Like in the chaser example.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Thanks Rheilly and Jasen.

Reply to
AK

All DIL chips have the same numbering system: stand it on its legs with the dot or cutout at one end away from you. Pins are always numbered the same way round.

yes, it'll avoid soldering frying the chip. Also means you can easily substitute chips when you run into faults.

You can use any PCB you like, that one should work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Bottom left corner.