Name a negating chip...

Differential transmitters and receivers are designed to have very equal propogation times. Typical specs for a transmitter from a few decades ago is that the skew between inverted and not-inverted is 2 nanoseconds. Typical specs for a LVDS transmitter have a skew in the low hundreds of picoseconds.

Most data transmission differential transmitters work on 5V or 3.3V rails, not 16V...

If what you want is a power driver, then maybe you want an H-bridge or H-bridge driver (typically hundreds of ns to a few microseconds switching time). Usually these go from "f on, g off" to "f off, g off" to "f off, g on" with a known (controlled) dead time.

If you can quantify your "short as possible" then you can probably get a much more concrete answer. Otherwise we'll start proposing thyratrons etc!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

There is very little logic made that can run from a 16V supply rail. Unless your tolerances on the difference in time delay are around the microsecond level, or slower, none of them would be much help.

ECL logic line receivers, on the ther hand, are designed to do exactly that job.

Take a look at the ON Semiconductor (used to be Motorola) MC100EL16D which you can buy off the shelf from Motorola/Newark

The maximum propagation delay from input to output s 425psec - which is thus the absolute upper limit on the output skew, which isn't specified for this device.

IIRR they have similar parts, explicitly intended for clock distribution which do have more detailed specification.

The MC100EL16D is intended to run between the 0V rail and a -4.5V. Motorola makes a fuss about using it as "PECL" which is to say, between a +5V rail and 0V, where it runs just as well (and slightly faster) but you should bear in mind that the ECL output is simply an emitter-follower. If you short the output to 0V when the chip is runing between 0V and -4.5V, you don't do any damage. If you short it to ground when the chip is running between 5V and 0V, you blow up the output transistor.

Hewlett-Packard used PECL-connected ECL in their laser interferomenter system, and around 1985 I was told that 90% of the in-service repairs to that bit of electronics involved replacing exploded ECL chips ...

------------------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Look for a differential driver.For instance

Kind regards,

Iwo

Reply to
Iwo Mergler

This happens to be two single-ended drivers. Not really what was asked for.

One might think about using it for boosting the differential outputs of a line receiver to 16V levels. Something that got closer to rail-to-rail might be more useful.

---------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

There are comparators with differential outputs, and they would do what you ask for (apart from coping with 16V). Unfortunately, all the comparators with differential outputs that I can think of are ECL-compatible parts.

You'd get a better class of advice if you told us more about what you are trying to do - or at least what sort of time delays you have in mind when you say "as short as possible".

------------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

I would like to find a chip that takes 1/0 input (like 16V being 1 and ground being 0), and generates two synchronous outputs f(input) and g(input), where f(input) = input and g(input) = NOT input.

What is important is that there is the same time delay between these outputs, that the time when they are equal should be as short as possible.

Sorry for a long winded explanation, I bet that the answer is very simple. I would prefer something that can live in a 16V supply rail.

thanks

Ignoramus24489

You are right Frank, one microsecond was a gross exaggeration.

The propagation delays for the HEF4070B at 15V range from 25 to 55nsec, which is a lot less than a microsecond

and the part can be used a with a 16V supply - the absolute maximum supply voltage for the HEF series is 18V

The original RCA CD4070 was almost as fast, though it couldn't take

18V.

Fairchild, and ON Semiconductor sell equivalent parts (CD4070B, MC14070B.

Still not something you could could recommend to somebody who wanted the smallest possible skew between the differential outputs.

---------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Thanks Tim. I think that what I need is called a "comparator". I will do some reading now.

Ignoramus24489

That changes on the clock EDGE. 74HC04 INVERTS.

...Jim Thompson

Graham, you made an assumption that I want to replace a gate driver with something not made for that purpose. That is an incorrect assumption. I will use a gate driver. However, the gate driver that I chose, a bad ass IR22141SS chip, needs two inputs, HI and LO, to turn high and low sides respectively. I want to generate these inputs (which should be the logical opposite of one another) based on a single input. That was the reason for my question.

So, I would like to repeat my question. I have a 1/0 signal, call it x. I need a chip that would make two signals out of it, x and NOT x.

Ignoramus24489

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

[snip]

I was thinking of a 4070 exor gate. Take an input from each exor gate and ties these together. The other input of the two gates go to ground and +V respectively.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Wrong approach.

Stick with a dedicated half / full bridge driver.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ignoramus24489 wrote (in ) about 'Name a negating chip...', on Wed, 12 Oct 2005:

Isn't that a D flip-flop with CLOCK tied to DATA? HEF4013B or something?

John Woodgate

You're right, I have only seen the marketing blurb (differential or dual single ended), never bothered to check the datasheet.:^(

Iwo

Reply to
Iwo Mergler

In article , wrote: [....]

LT1016 has TTL outputs

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Ignoramus24489 wrote: [....]

So, can we assume that you care a lot that the outputs never be true at the same time and less about the false state?

If so solving this gets a lot easier. You can do it like a "non-overlapping clock" circuit.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

That's correct. If both inputs to the gate driver chip are true, then the gate driver would shutdown with an error condition, and would need to be reset. That's a safety feature. So, while both signals equal to true will not destroy any equipment, they would result in an annoying interruption.

I have selected two chips, XR2206 as a timer with pulse width control (negative vs. positive cycle), and LM339 as a dual comparator. Then can all happily live on the 15V supply bus.

In fact, I have enough stuff to get them to work and to connect them. I may be able to do something late at night and test the pulse generator circuit. I will use fixed frequency for now, I think.

I demolished a piece of military surplus equipment this morning and salvaged a nice 6A regulated power supply for 15V DC. I am very happy.

Ignoramus24693

[...]

So the non-overlapping circuit would be the right way to go then

Why not use an LM339 and make the timing signals with the other two sections?

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Yes, and I suppose that LM339 would take care of it.

No good reason, I did no think about it, for a $3 XR2206 anyway, plus it is easy to make it do what I want (pulse width control, frequency etc).

Ignoramus24693