test fixture

The bare boards came in yesterday for my tiny laser driver, and people started assembling the first one, and I had no way to test it. The real test set boards won't be in until next week.

So we hacked this up, out of scraps of FR4.

The laser connections are usually via wires that the customer solders to the board, but we made the holes a tad oversize so we could use 0-80 screws to make the connections to spacers during testing. I wouldn't trust pogos at 200 amps.

Phil is right, superglue works fine on copperclad, seems better than epoxy. I scuff it up a bit first with an emery board. Walgreens has all that.

It all worked first time, thanks to massive amounts of review and checking. This uses the boost-doubler power supply topology, which now needs a bit of tweaking for the application but is all understood and tunable. It ran overnight at 200 amps into a 0.1 ohm dummy load, 4 kilowatts of pulsed power.

Things are getting weird when 0805 resistors and 2-56 screws start looking big.

One assembly problem we had was that the tiny header connector pins wouldn't fit into the board. The pins are 21 mills diagonal, and the holes were spec'd as 25 mils, but the connectors had to be pressed in. I specified 2 oz copper, and we're guessing that the board house didn't properly account for whatever heavy-duty plating they used.

And we forgot to radius the corners of the board. I hate boards with sharp square corners.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

NICE!

Reply to
TTman

I love copperclad. It's cheap on ebay. You can saw or shear it to size, solder it up, Dremel traces into it, x-acto it, make boxes out of it. I'm thinking of tiling an exterior section of my house, a little triangle thing, with FR4 and soldered seams, sort of like the roof of some old cathedral.

This is one of my best efforts:

Trouble is, the copper tarnishes after a while and it isn't as pretty.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

So get it gold-plated first, as you've been threatening to do for awhile. Considering the current prices of real estate in SF, it would be entirely appropriate. ;)

For smaller pieces, serrated aviation shears do a good job.

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A man-sized breadboard...

Well, at least half... the whole deal, before cutting it up is about

1' X 1' >:-} ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

OK, OK, I'll get some FR4 gold plated. Maybe to breadboard this curve tracer I've been thinking about.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Wow, the chips are so far apart they'd have to communicate by email.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Early '80's: Those "chips" are actually "kit parts", multiple matched IC transistors, so I was bread-boarding with components close to what would be attained when integrated. Nothing really high frequency, mostly automotive stuff, and some pin drivers for OmniComp/GenRad, but I did do some VCO stuff at 300MHz, successfully. ...Jim Thompson

How about this stuff?

garyr

Here's the official, PCB type test fixture, with the little laser driver mounted.

It's putting 3 KW pulses into those green wirewound resistors, powered from a wall wart.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Cute. How about a scope photo?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, OK, but it's really boring.

This is intended to drive a 20 volt bar laser stack. These things run

50, 55% efficient, kilowatts of pulsed light.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

With 200A pulses, boring is good.

I'm working on a low noise DC coupled current amp board, with a pHEMT and a couple of parallelled BF862s diplexed together--trying to get

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Are you splitting the frequency bands?

I guess you could just connect all the inputs together, and lowpass-highpass the outputs and then combine. Let the jfets have the low end and the PHEMT do the high end. Sneaky of you.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The HF path is a pHEMT, and the LF path is a pair of BF862s, with independent current sinks in the source leads.

I'm parallelling all three of the drains into a single SiGe:C cascode bootstrap driven off the source of the pHEMT. The diplexing happens in the separate source loads that parallel the current sinks--LR for the JFETs and RC for the pHEMT. The bad news is that the gate-source capacitance of the JFETs is always present, but since the crossover frequency is about 10 MHz, the source inductance helps get rid of that up at frequencies where the JFET is no longer a good follower.

The cascode sees the horrid 1/f noise of the pHEMT (noise corner ~10 MHz) but since the gate-drain capacitance of the two JFETs together is only about 7 pF, and that path rolls off at about 10 MHz, it isn't a huge deal--0.2 pA/sqrt(Hz) at most.

The good news is that since there's only one feedback path (from the collector of the cascode to the parallelled gates), the residual gain and impedance whoopdedoos from the diplexing get suppressed by the loop gain, which is reasonably large at 10 MHz.

Looks pretty good so far in SPICE, though I haven't put in very realistic strays yet.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs