75 Ohm type "N" connector compatibility?

We have a bunch of these rare but superb panel mount items in stock and the question came up "Are they compatible with standard 50 Ohm type "N" cables?

Actual mismatch on a connector should not be that big a deal except for the most critical of highest frequencies. Because the disruption distance is so short.

But will the cable physically fit?

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Not if they meet specs.

A 50 Ohm male into a 75 Ohm female can damage the center contact on the female connector. A 75 Ohm male into a 50 Ohm female may not make good contact, because of the smaller pin.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But most applications using a N are using it because they needed a true constant-impedance connector. Typically GHz range stuff, or test instruments that are designed to measure impedance bumps.

What cable? I look in the abbreviated Amphenol listings and there are twelve different N plugs for twelve different series of cable.

You are not going to fit RG-213 into the hole for RG-59! But RG-58 would fit not so bad especially if you didn't mind some slop and a crappy crimp.

IMHO if you're going to be selling these to hobbyists, you either have to identify the cable that's a close or exact fit, or sell it along with the cable that's an exact or close fit. There is a market - hams and hobbyists etc. who want to use cheap surplus 75 ohm CATV cable (even stuff like hardline) actually want the matching 75 ohm connectors. But you're going to have to make it perfectly clear what the cable compatibility is.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Don - If you see my earlier message, ignore it, because I thought you were talking about males to put on cables.

A 52 ohm plug will superficially fit in a 75 ohm jack but the center contact will be damaged.

But you're ignoring a very real (but small) market: UHF Hams and spread-spectrum hobbyists with lots of 75 ohm surplus CATV cable available who want to design equipment and antennas for 75 ohm stuff with all the matching cables connectors etc. If you can identify matching 75 ohm plugs that fit cheap cable and point out the compatibility, I think you have a market.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa