Music to delight even JL

OK, you got me, the Klark-Teknik (Behrigner) clone of the LA-2A compressor isn't _exactly_ the same in every detail as the original LA-A. And it's a lot cheaper.

It's still an LA-2A. If you want one much closer to the original's construction you can still get that for shy of 4 grand.

bitrex

They mounted the tubes inside the enclosure on PCBs instead of on the rear panel, and put the front panel controls on a PCB and it looks like there are probably some solid-state components in there, vaguely like some kind of modern product from the 21st century. Wowie! The metal-film resistors alone probably ruin the sound.

Reply to
bitrex

"Mack the Knife " - originally "Die Moritat von Mackie Messer" came from the opera and was first performed in 1928, some 93 years ago.

The Beatles preceded the Rolling Stones. They did keep on creating stuff worth listening to for longer - not that I was ever a fan of the Rolling Stones and never listened to any of their stuff when I could avoid it. The Beatles first big hit - "Love Me Do" dates from 1962, which is 59 years ago, and their last "The Long and Winding Road" dates from 1970 which is fifty years ago.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

==============================

** Listen f*****ad - isolated, rare examples are just that.

NEVER PROOF !!!!!!!!!!!

That smelly dead Donkey is waiting for you ......

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:17:53 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Has been done on plants even, some grew better with classical music IIRC. link:

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:46:27 -0700) it happened Don Y snipped-for-privacy@foo.invalid wrote in <s2oa2n$fh9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Try listening to 'A bridge over troubled waters' panteltje20: ~ # locate -i troubled | grep -i water /mnt/sda3/audio/other/simon_and_garfunkel/01-bridge_over_troubled_waters_320_lame_cbr.mp3

close to perfection?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Mar 2021 18:49:37 -0700) it happened Don Y snipped-for-privacy@foo.invalid wrote in <s2p2s7$oiu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

panteltje20: ~ # locate -i bobby | grep -i darin /mnt/sda3/audio/other/bobby_darin /mnt/sda3/audio/other/bobby_darin/05_-_dream_lover_320_lame_cbr.mp3

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Mar 2021 19:30:45 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Bill Sloman snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The beatles were also known as 'The beat brothers' to back singer Tony Sheridan First recorced in 1961 in Hamburg

/mnt/sda3/audio/other/beatles/tony_sheridan # ls --color=none

08-the_saints_192_lame_cbr.mp3 07-sweet_georgia_brown_192_lame_cbr.mp3 06-what_d_i_say_192_lame_cbr.mp3 04_-_rock_and_roll_music_192_lame_cbr.mp3 04-my_bonnie_192_lame_cbr.mp3 12-ya_ya_192_lame_cbr.mp3 01-ain_t_she_sweet_192_lame_cbr.mp3

I like ya_ya That is all live performance in Germany

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

My experience with a tone deaf people is that they can't tell the right note from a wrong note. Teaching them to play an instrument was impossible for me.

Wiki has a good discussion on this:

gray_wolf

Uh-huh, sounds like noise from an asylum somewhere compared to what true artists can do:

Fred Bloggs

Ah, the classics:

bitrex

Songs about police:

bitrex

What I've found hard to come to grips with is playing *a* (reference) note

*WHILE* they are trying to produce the same note (via instrument, voice, etc.): "Can't you HEAR the difference between your note and mine?"

I can understand people not being able to produce a free-standing note of a desired frequency without the reference to compare against; but when both are in the air concurrently... how can you NOT hear the difference?!

Reply to
Don Y

Right note and wrong note are arbitrary.

Why do they call it a disorder, a disease, "sufferers" ? It's just an unimportant difference.

John Larkin is Hysterically Funny wrote: =================================

** Now "tone deaf" person would say that - wouldn't he ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sure. And it doesn't matter.

It's just music!

Not if you are tone deaf.

Which most people take seriously. What I found interesting was that my piano-teacher in Nijmegen and I shared much the same ideas about what constituted good piano technique, despite the fact that what I could get out of a piano wasn't remotely what I would have liked to have got out of a piano. One of my wife's academic acquaintances was - incidentally - a concert-level pianist and had written her Ph.D. on the importance of timing in musical expression. Apparently you have to place the note to within about 10msec to get the right effect - I do have a copy of her thesis somewhere, but I can't say I've got an in-depth understanding of it.

She's good (and rather better-looking than that picture suggests). She's not the only one of our academic acquaintances who had had the option of a career as a musician.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Bill, thanks for that. Her pub-list is just what I needed to start prepping a class on music and the brain.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim MacArthur

Glad to be of service. At one point I was thinking about developing a better electrical piano - with a real touch (generated by linear motor under each key) and had a at least one useful intereaction with her. The project stalled when I worked out much it would cost - no more than a real piano, once it was in production (and probably less) but development looked as if it would be rather expensive.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Didn't they entertain at Biden's inaugural ball?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs