more EE Times nonsense

^

Would you like some mustard, too?

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

The world is separated into two groups: people who live mayonnaise, and people who despise mayonnaise. Me and The Brat are pro-mayo, my wife and elderbrat are totally grossed out by it.

John

Then James Arthur must be defectve in design ability, if that was his idea of humour.

John Larkin once again reinvents reality to suit his perverse point of view. He doesn't recognise a real joke when he sees one in the mirror ...

-- Bill Sloman, Njmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

age

d)

ly

s is

notch

quite

A very different kind of trillion-dollar business from than that covered by Aviation Week. Individual aircraft cost millions. Any electronic component that costs more than $10 is expensive.

Most of the circuits that we see and use were designed for people who could - and would - buy 100,000 in a batch. They don't need the trade magazines to tell them what's available; the trade magazines exist to tell us what the big boys have had made, serving a much lighter (and less influential) class of light-weights than Aviation Week gets to cater for.

Linear Technology wouldn't notice if Highland Technology and a thousand small manufacturers like it went belly-up.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Since neither of them have a hands-on understanding of it, I'd say that
a description of humor by the abominable slowman would be about as

JF
Reply to
John Fields

notch

But we buy millions of them.

They visit us a couple of times a year, and I take them to Zuni Cafe. They sure would notice if we quit doing that.

I think I got them to do the new current source chip. I sure ragged them about how the world needs one. And I also told them to do a

3-output power-module switcher for FPGAs: +5 to +24 in, 3.3 and 2.5/1.8 and 1.2 out. We'll see how they do on that one.

John

I know that he's not, and I know that you are. And he has a great singing voice. And he's a pretty good cook.

Do you sing or cook? We know you don't design.

Get a job, bozo. Design some electronics.

John

TV

piece

t the

over

you're

You put the WAP gear by the antenna since you can do long runs of ethernet with much less hassle than long antenna runs.

In the old days when all the boxes had removable antennas, everyone hacked to get higher gain. Some hacks were just reflectors behind the monopole. Other hacks were cavity resonators. But to think MIT is the source of this knowledge is pretty funny. In fact, the best homebrew wifi antenna designs were out of Australia and Yugoslavia. You can troll alt.internet.wireless.

I saw one design that was a metal salad bowl and a usb wifi "fob".

Reply to
miso

You can't "phone in" good communications designs, so the mags have to be good. Most electronics these days is just computer apps, not really engineering. Engineers these days think pole splitting has something to do with that recent aircraft crash [OK, sorry bout the bad joke.]

Reply to
miso

Oh, I see, April fools day.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

essage

nted)

eally

ners is

y a notch

ly quite

Collectively. It makes for a market with a very different structure.

A couple of their marketing representatives would.

But how many have you bought?

We may find out if any of the high volume customers expressed a similar interest.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

th's

ving

"Get a job" is easier said than done, particularly for a 67-year-old in the Netherlands. I'm still applying for the occasional job, but the statistical expectation that I'll ever get one around here has gotten to be vanishingly small.

I have designed some interesting electronics recently, but I'm still busy getting a working example built - getting a new aortic valve did distract me for a while, but the post-operative complications are now getting resolved and I'm beginning to get back into it.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Not exactly - as the article says, splitting off the hydrogen is the easier task.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

message

is

notch

quite

I have no time for salesmen. These are serious tekkies who help decide what they should design next. People like this visit us a lot, because we're bleeding-edge mainiacs who are willing to talk about what we do. And because we're in San Francisco. We get visits from TI, Hittite, Nitronex, ADI, LTC, folks like that. Tons of samples, too.

None so far. It was just announced, and is too expensive in my opinion. We *are* using a lot of their land-grid integrated power converters (with internal everything, Ls and Cs too) these days, and a lot of their opamps and switchers. LTC makes great stuff, keeps making them, and we get good support.

You are so totally out of touch with the electronics industry that you keep making these sour and absurd pontifications. It's getting sad, actually.

John

Well, as we say, duh. At our age, people don't give you jobs: you have to invent one.

John

Yes, excellent point.

John

n message

and

are

riented)

r really

signers is

only a notch

ually quite

Or so they would like you to believe.

Self-congratulating egomaniacs, whose inflated egos can be further inflated by people who pretend to take you at your own valuation. You really are a sucker for flattery, and get quite peevish when your interactions don't leave your ego buffed and glowing.

And so did Cambridge Instruments. It didn't mean anything, except that we bought enough compoentst for the distributors to notice.

All true - LTC does make good stuff and does give good support.

Dream on.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

message

microwave-oriented)

really

designers is

a notch

actually quite

Gosh, they must be forging all their business cards. How could I have been so naive?

And send us eval boards to reinforce our delusions.

John

e in message

ves and

d) are

e-oriented)

r really

designers is

han a

em only a notch

actually quite

he

s.

who

ade

nd

e.

Business cards are cheap.

And you find the attention flattering.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

When people fly here to see us, from all over the USA, and Germany/UK/Italy/France/Canada/Japan, to sell us stuff or ask us to design stuff? Flattering? Yes, absolutely. And if they bring us really interesting problems, even better.

I suppose every "artist" thinks, deep in his soul, that his art is intrinsically good. But in real life, it sure validates that feeling if serious people buy it.

John