gEDA project in EE Times today!

I've been getting rather good support from EMA-EDA, at least for PSpice.

...Jim Thompson

"Adherents say the biggest attraction is not so much that the gEDA tools are free but that they provide an open design system, with files that will always be readable, source code that's always available and no licensing hassles. But EDA vendors are quick to point out that open-source tools are unsupported and lack many of the features of commercial packages."

Check it out:

As for the "EDA vendors [who] are quick to point out that open-source tools are unsupported. . . .", well, that's just what you'd expect them to say, isn't it?

But seriously, when was the last time anybody here got real support from a low-end vendor, e.g. "EMA Design Automation", anyway? Support? For low-end tools? When I called those fools from EMA with a segfault problem in Orcad, I had to give them the preferred work-around, which they promptly supplied to their other customers. . . . .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Brorson

Same here. When I complained that the block drag in Capture did not behave orthogonaly in all for quadrants I was given a clumsy workaround that involved block move and not block drag. After couple of back and forth emails I realized that they were not really interested because it was "sort of working" After all if I struggled wit it long enough I would have my schematic the way I wanted it. In the end I was told the "the software is behaving the way it was designed" No kidding. I am still using that peace of crap because that is what my customers are using and Orcad/Cadence does not yet see any competition that is worthy of it. Farming out software development to India didn't improve things either. Don't get me started.

Regards,

Boris Mohar Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Reply to
Boris Mohar