Modern 486

Perhaps some other terminal emulator, but not Putty or extraPutty. *Putty won't send raw file over ssh.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I believe the rPi ran minicom which worked to connect the SSH from the PC to the serial port on the rPi to the target. There was some issue having to do with control or something. I want to say it (whatever terminal program was running on the rPi, I tried a few) captured some control code that I wanted to pass to the target, but I can't think what control code could be useful to send to Forth. Forth only knows (or uses) text delimited by whatever the enter key produces (I assume a CR). But I really don't recall.

I don't know what you think is not possible, but it isn't important. There's no need to prove anything.

When I get back to this I'll let you know how it goes.

Reply to
Rick C

Sorry, I have no idea what you think is going on. I'm not passing files between computers. Try to read what has been written and understand.

The entire software on the two computes running an OS are trying to provide a path from Putty (or some other terminal emulator) on the PC to the target as if it were on a serial port on the PC. The rPi is acting as a serial to network interface for the target board.

Let me say this one more time... when I talk about dumping the file on the PC, it is equivalent to using a pipe or a cat command to send the data in the file out the serial port. There is no protocol to transfer a file as in a file system, because the target has no file system. You type code at the serial port interface. So your source file is dumped into the serial port to compile it.

I think part of the problem is people are not used to something as simple and efficient as Forth. So it is hard to let go of the baggage. Everyone thinks I'm transferring files to another file system or that the files have to be compiled on the rPi or many other complications. No, this could not be more simple. If it could, Charles Moore would have made it more simple. It is so simple, that people have to make it complicated.

Reply to
Rick C

Then it must be another terminal emulator. (Extra)Putty does not pass raw file via ssh. It allows ftp or sftp transfer, but with another connection and possibly another process. There is no way to send a raw file with the same control connection. I know there are other emulator sending raw file with the same serial port, but not Putty and not via ssh.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Sorry, I don't know what "it" you are talking about.

Of course I would be interacting with Putty. I type commands to the target through Putty. I tell Putty to send the file when I want to compile.

It would explain what? I used to use Putty, but changed to ExtraPutty because it sounded like it was "extra". I didn't see any reason to not use it and it worked pretty much the same.

Sorry, I have no idea how it would be different. If I'm running the terminal emulator, it looks and works the same whether I'm on a local serial port or on a SSH connection to the rPi. What is different?

I think the full name is iCE40 for the feature size. The technology was developed by SiliconBlue on 65 nm calling it... wait for it... iCE65. At the time they were redesigning for 40 nm, Lattice bought them. Their structure is like Xilinx with 4 input LUTs and a FF in the basic cell, but they don't have the fancy bells and whistles. It's raison d'etre is adequate speed at low, very low power. Also cost efficient. Xilinx didn't even think about low prices until these guys started eating their lunch in applications Xilinx couldn't touch.

I believe this is the only logic family with open source tools, 100% open source tools, including the bitstream generation. The guys who did this have a big notch on their belts.

Reply to
Rick C

That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking about the control in Putty to cause the contents of a file to be sent to the port. I'm asking how to get inside the supermarket and you are giving me directions on how to drive there from two locations.

I'm pretty sure that once in Putty, you make the port connection, it doesn't matter which type of port, the controls in the program work the same to do the same functions.

It's probably better to wait until I have time to fire up the setup. Then I can explore it myself without having so much trouble being misunderstood.

Reply to
Rick C

Using SSH on Putty, can I talk to the command line on the remote computer with a terminal like interface?

Reply to
Rick C

Yes, but there is no option to send a raw file.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Then why do you keep talking about SSH? If it can't transfer a "raw file" on SSH, are you saying it can over a serial port?

I think what you aren't grasping is this is not a file transfer. So try to put that out of your mind. This is simply using the file as a container on the PC to hold the commands to be typed on the console.

If I can type commands to the remote command line, why can't I direct the contents of a file to the remote command line? Why would SSH vs. a serial port matter. SSH doesn't care where the characters come from. Are you saying this can be done over a local serial port?

When you are running a terminal emulation, I believe you can capture the characters received from the remote into a file. This would be the reverse of that, dumping characters from a file to the terminal keyboard to send to the other end like you typed them.

I'm not going to debate this with you endlessly. When I have the time, I will install either Putty or ExtraPutty and show you how it is done. Until then, there's no point in continuing the conversation.

Reply to
Rick C

Because you have to do telnet or ssh protocol over the net.

No, someone else said it could. I don't think there is any option to send a local raw (not over ftp or tftp) file in serial port either. You can argue that Putty should, but it does not.

I am not saying it's file transfer. You have your command file in the local PC. You have to somehow get the content of the file over on top of telnet/ftp protocol. Putty just does not have this feature.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Ok, you keep talking about the network "protocol"... it uses the exact same protocol over the network that typing at the console does. The difference is where the characters come from, keyboard or file. This has zero impact on where they go.

Like I said, no time now, but I'll show you at some point. Stay tuned to this station for further developments...

Reply to
Rick C

ssh can transfer raw files, I use it for that frequently. As GUI application putty probably doesn't support this.

The ssh that comes with git bash should support it though. something like this:

ssh user@raspberry "cat > /dev/ttyACM0" < C:\windows\users\jasen\source.4th

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Have you not been in this conversation until now? I have said several times I was running something like minicom on the rPi.

I'm pretty sure I used both and both do the same things. As I said, I changed to ExtraPutty simply because it sounded like it might be better, not because there was any need to. The capabilities I used were present in many, many terminal emulator programs.

No, I never did that. I'll have to install the program and figure out where the command is to send the file.

Yes, I know that. Nothing I've said contradicts that, other than the fact that it will let you dump a file as well.

I don't think so. I've never seen an FPGA development tool that didn't support Linux.

Reply to
Rick C

I'm not sure we are in the same book! You seem to keep bringing up peripheral issues that are not at question, like above. No one has said anything that would indicate they thought you would see the same command line when connected to two different machines. When I refer to "the controls in the program", I'm talking about the controls Putty gives you, not the command line from the other machine.

Reply to
Rick C

I never did that. I'm not sure how the rPi would know what C:\windows\users\jasen\source.4th would mean. Regardless, I used a feature of Putty to send the contents of the file to the rPi command line which was running something like minicom.

Reply to
Rick C

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

passing files in a serial manner using putty.

Yep. even made an RF transmitter just a few years back that could do it and penetrate the ground doing it. ALL data, files or text or whatever went over a packetized schema. Very slow rate.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno