MLCC soldering and dielectric cracking damage

.
,

ed

ge.

most

dinary

always a

ience.

I believe it is the standard intel cooler, it looks similar but instead of screws and a bracket it has four snap in plastic things

like this:

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Ouch! I don't think I'd want to buy a PC with such a motherboard. Judging from the groans of the guy the installation must require quite some force.

I like this text under the video: "avec installation du heatsink". Oh, if the French language police would ever see that :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

5,

it.

ed

se

rt

ck,

cked

ss

oth

mage.

e most

.

Ordinary

is always a

erience.

.

yep and because they are either in or out you cannot do like with screws and tighten them slowly in criss cross pattern

lol

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

When I see technically inferior "solutions" such as this I have no qualms taking the angle grinder to it. Whirrrrr ... zzzzrrring ... thwack ... gone. Then I'd relace them with screws.

[...]
--

No, "he" doesn't strike anything. Look at snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk's response above. That person understands.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

I design my pads for hand soldering, usually with a minimum 0.016" excess on each side beyond the max part dim. For larger parts, it scales according to the vertical lead thickness.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

Probably another retarded Ford owner.

Reply to
VioletaPachydermata

You know... it suddenly occurred to me that you have a personality that only a cadaver could love. This, no doubt, explains why you count so many of them amongst your sexual conquests.

Reply to
JW

I had a Fiesta once. It was pretty good, for the first 14 years at least.

John

I had a Granada, way back. Other than having to replace the carb every year or two ($60) it was a great car, for the first 14 years. My wife's Sable has been excellent for its first 11 years as has my Ranger, for 10. The '74 Rustang-II was on the other end of the scale, though.

The other thing Ford has going for it is that it's *not* Government Motors.

Reply to
krw

We rented a red Mustang convertible a few years back, sort of by accident. What a heap-o-junk! Incredible garbage. Getting the top up/down was almost impossible. The retro tiny round instruments were unreadable. The turn signal sound was a loud, tacky, synthesized fake of an old thermal clicker.

We have rented a few 4wd Explorers for ski trips. They weren't bad.

John

You hold the solder in your mouth.

Please learn to bottom-post.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Why am I not surprised to find that you have been a contributor to the degradation of our economy?

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

You are not permitted to refer to the opinions your other personalities may or may not have, asshole. YOU only have one vote, and this concludes me proving that it is YOU with math issues.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Connect the dots is not difficult.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

She just did a board with a 760 pin BGA FPGA (1 mm pitch) and a 296 pin ARM uP (0.8 mm) and a lot of other stuff, on just 8 layers. All impedance controlled, with sixteen 1 GHz SERDES diff pairs and 8x PCI Express at 2.5 Gbps per lane.

It's sufficiently difficult to route stuff like this that we just give her an incomplete schamatic and the general rules, and she picks the pins on the FPGA and the i/os on the ARM. Then she gives us a netlist from the PCB, which we crunch and feed into the Altera software to see if it's happy with the pin assignments. Apparently nothing *but* the Quartus software is the final call about whether the pinout is workable. Mix in four or five different Vccs and it gets even more interesting.

The board seems to work, with a couple of small kluges so far.

There's nothing trivial about getting something like this right on the first pass.

John

Sounds like your software actually knows what it is doing.

Bwuahahahahahahaa!

Reply to
MrTallyman

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:07:42 -0700) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

Could be OK with lead-free.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This is WHY you ADD flux. That way, you can place the solder drop on the soldering iron tip! DOH! Then, the moment you touch the pad, the entire solder joint reflows. You remove the tip, and you are done, depending on the flux you chose. Ofcourse you need a micro-applicator for the flux,but 'they' have them, and that is what they are for.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

We use PADS, but we never use the autorouter.

One nice thing about PADS is that you can import or export *anything* in ASCII. I wrote a few simple PowerBasic programs to check netlists and verify the PCB against the BOM and our inventory listing. The Altera netlist/pin stripper is in Perl.

PADS-Logic is also the best schematic editor I've ever seen.

What PCB software do you use?

John