HV dielectric solution

Hi all,

We are wondering if a solution exist (among all major ic manufacturers) to insure 10KV dielectric rigidity for digital transmission (1Mbits/s) on a small PCB.

for 50K pces a year the smallest and the cheapest are the best ...

Thx, H

Reply to
Habib

What do you mean by "dielectric rigidity" ?

 Click to see the full signature

Hello John,

This means that two cicuits are isolated each other by a dielectric barrier (respect to the IEC 61010 ... and others) shock wave 1,2uS/50us is not a stringent requirement.

I've been clear ?

Cheers, H

.highlandtechnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Reply to
arachnoid

Contact these guys, their 1268S appears to be fast enough:

If it's not working for you then these guys, although their standard products are just a smidgen too slow:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Joerg !

This one is just what i want. Many thx, btw avagotech has probably the same

but optelinc seems to be a better solution.

arachnoid

For medical I typically use Avago couplers. But whatever you do, talk this over with the selected manufacturer first. Before designing it in. Breakdown voltage data is often given for transient loads and if, for example, you want to monitor something on a HV-line that is permanently under high voltage this is continuous duty. Then the isolation barrier of a transient-rated coupler can age over time. That's something you really don't want to see happening.

And of course, there's always magnetic coupling via RF carrier or in a low-noise environment even simple NRZ code.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Or fiber optics. Or even free-space light, a home-made optocoupler.

I think I've seen PCB pads, on opposite sides, used signal coupling caps.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

The absolute rock-bottom version: Photodiode and LED a few inches apart, a chunk of rigid tubing to the tune of a few cents connecting them. The tubing slips over both so it stays in place, maybe secured by a dab of low-cost glue so it won't rattle :-)

And yeah, I've made PCB capacitors when I was a kid. But not for very long because I soon found out that there was a good surplus supply of real RF coupling caps of the saucer type. Plus if one of those ever goes (one of mine did ...) they do so with a bang and that's it, but no stench or smoke. Of course you had to make sure that the flying ceramic debris is kept inside the enclosure.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

something like this:

could work

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

We make our own light pipes out of solid plastic rods, straight from Tap Plastics a couple of blocks away. They work really well.

These illuminate indicators on the sliding top of the enclosure, frosty cutouts in the label on top.

I'm guessing that a solid rod will couple light better than a tube, but either one would work. The tube is nice in that you could just jam T1-3/4 optos into each end.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

Nice. Very neat BNC connector on the right. Is that the Porsche edition or something?

I don't know how good they'd carry IR and usually IR is what ones wants. For additional protection it should be somewhat shielded against the outside world. Tubes with a clean air path work really well.

When I have to do HV stuff at a client I usually carry a spool of 1/4" drip irrigation hose.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hey! I recognize that one!

Solid plastic works better, because you get total internal reflection.

And a lantern, to look for an honest man?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

we use some from here:

the long and tall 90 degree ones work nicely to reach over an edge launch sma

I posted a link for an irda transceiver it should be good for a Mbit at maybe a meter, and has all the signal conditioning build in

and it is smd side view, so just put two on the pcb facing each other

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Thanks, have to try that. Although such material isn't easy to find in a pinch. Most of the time when I travel to a client I print out two maps. One with the closest Lutheran churches out there and another with the Home Depots, ACE, Lowe's and Radio Shacks.

No, the TSA folks wouldn't let the lamp oil in there into the boarding area :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's a great idea but at 10kV can be a challenge. Even if you make the creepage path very long eventually dirt will settle on the FR4 and all that. But it depends on what Habib needs, 10kV continuous duty or transient. I do 5kV on FR4 but above that it may be better to have a truly isolated connection with a rim around it and all that. Like so:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have a bunch of plastic rods from some old Venetian blinds that I've been cutting chunks off for some years.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Interesting. So your wife has not confiscated those as prop-up sticks for outdoor plants? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Having a real lab in another building has many benefits. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's a Bomar "VBITE". Nice, sort of an edge-launch BNC.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

We did a VME board...

where the light pipes hop over some front-panel hardware.

Incidentally, we are buying some really nice edge-launch SMAs from Shining Star for about $1.75. Those are the ones I'm pushing the 40 ps edges through.