Metric & non-metric SMT sizes, watch out...

Didn't happen so far but today it almost did: Found TDK inductors listed with their metric SMT dimensioning and nearly mistook that for classical SMT size. Whew...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Me too TDK SMT ferrite beads, and KITAGAWA are the same. What a complete pain in the ass. We know what an 0805 is and don't give a crap it is vaguely related to imperial measurements but now we have to know a 2012 vaguely related to metric measurements is also an 0805.

Reply to
nospam

nospam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Cool. I didn't know the SMT size names well, I very rarely work with anything SMT. That example you decribed is nice, it helps a lot. Nothing to complain about at all. From that I deduced that this size must be 2.0 mm long and 1.2(5) mm wide, or 0.08" long and 0.05" wide. So two neatly detailed ways to say the same thing, given that no-one's going to worry much about the presence or absence of the 0.05"

Mechanical engineers find lots of reasons to mix metric and imperial, it solves more problems than it creates.

So long as we know which is being specified, and so long as the actual number of parts sizes doesn't proliferate too much, SMT should be usable even to me. My problem with it has nothing to do with size, it's that no standard stripboard or similar solution can apply, it's never possible to develop a board without going the full way to finished product just to test an itial layout! That's a far worse problem thast worrying about number conversions. I keep those in my head for inch/mm scales, but I don't have the same convenient access to a board fabricator.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Lostgallifreyan wrote in news:Xns991A6EA27443Bzoodlewurdle@140.99.99.130:

Meant 0.05mm for that one...