Ethernet in analog out

You've got an absolutely silent room to listen to it in? There are many, many 'network audio' devices.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hello Dirk,

If you find one that does that over a WLAN let me know :-D

There is no LAN outlet where our stereo sits and it's next to impossible to get a CAT-5 over there.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Looking for a device that will connect via ethernet and output high quality audio eg 24 bit DAC. And is *not* a PC with a sound card:-)

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I need digital in, digital over the radio, and high quality DAC (24bit min) out. And the room is corrected for major audio parameters, so yes, it's very high end. If you have $30k to spend let me know...

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Radio = Wireless? ie no wires. However, data over powerline (mains) would also be acceptable. We are talking about people who will pay an extra $2k for having fewer wires to trail around.

Digital stream into the transmitter, from (say) a CD player or higher quality source. Analog out of the receiver. The latter should be able to handle 96kHz 24 bit conversions (one of the standards in high end audio).

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Why not use a small PC? Seems like the cheapest solution, supports wireless or gigE, and there is freeware audio (and video) distribution software (for linux) to run it. You can get cute little PCs that don't look like PCs at all, use silent fans, etc. This seems like the way of the future for home video and high end audio, particularly with faster WIFI standards. Now if they were only the size of an iPod...

Regards,
 Bob Monsen
Reply to
Bob Monsen

having

There are seperate units. Add a wireless access point, and a 'network audio' device, and you're there.

I'm unsure if any of them would handle 24 bit/96Khz (as if that's remotely needed), however, you'd need to investigate.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

24-bit 48 and 96kHz ADCs and DACs are dime a dozen. OK, they're under $10 in quantity, anyway, so it seems that most everything new in audio these days is spec'd at 24 bits. 64-bit words with two 24-bit audio tracks at 96kHz, a 6.144MHz data stream.

I did a design for lab use, employing a set of Cirrus Logic ICs, DC-100kHz 24-bits two channels, streamed over a single optical fibre into a PC, for super-low-distortion data acquisition. The top-of-the-line best-in-the-world cs5381 chips were $18.80 each.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Do you want something that simply uses CAT5 cable and connections or does it have to co-exist with existing network traffic ?

Depending which, you might care to look at Audiorail or Cobranet.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I'm not aware of any audio converters with > 24 bit resolution !

You do realise that's theoretically ~ 140dB dynamic range ! And that's the

*minimum* you want ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Perhaps not with 802.11b, but I think the capability is available for wired ethernet, although perhaps not with the standard 64-bit words. Two 24-bit words could be sent via UDP as six byte groups, pipeline buffered and re-timed at the receive end.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yes. That's exactly it, isn't it? And, as such, one shouldn't have any qualms about seperating them from their audiophool dollars, should one? Maybe I'll reconsider getting into the sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hconnoisseur market after all. Anechoic clothing perhaps?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Where did radio come into it? Radio or Ethernet? And why 24 bits?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Philips do a range of products such as the SLA5500NS that do wireless networking to audio. I have seen them as low as $70 at the Sunnyvale Fry's.

kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Would 250KBPS do it?

might have somehting suitable, albeit you'd need some logic and a good DAC at the receiver end.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, do you have a customer that's insisting on digital? I don't see what's wrong with an ordinary analog FM stereo link. If this customer is awash in cash, they could probably spring for a license so you could have a whole 100KHz wide channel somewhere in the spectrum, and if you tell them you're using oxygen-free monocrystalline silver wires with gold-flash over nickel connectors, it'll sound great. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When you look at the overhead required to ensure that 6.144 Mbps data stream is reliable ( e.g. checking for lost packets etc ). you'll see why no-one offers such a wireless device.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Speaking of anechoic, I saw one of those High-tech cop lab TeeVee shows where the boss calls them into the locker room, with ceramic tile walls and everything, and said, "we're here because this room has the best acoustics..." I mean, the writers/producers were so stupid that they thought being in the equivalent of an echo chamber was "good acoustics."

Gimme a break! ;-)

(or I could be a little more selective about my TeeVee viewing ... Nah. ;-) Although the season premiere of NCIS had everybody seeing Kate's ghost, which was kewl, if a little spooky. When Probie saw her, she was in a naugahyde Emma Peel suit. :-) )

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Joerg wrote: ...

Joerg,

I did get one when they first came out and it worked fine streaming from a PC loaded with their server software. But I returned it because they only allowed streaming from selected web sites - there was no way you could give it an arbitrary URL. It did ok from the ones they had listed.

I gather they have a premium service with a monthly fee where you can get additional content (Streamium service).

I also didn't have a good experience with their customer support as they didn't seem to know anything about it. That may have been because I purchased it in May before it was supposedly even available - the situation may have changed by now.

If the product marketing/positioning matched up with the hardware capabilities it would have done fine for me - I mainly wanted something to be able to easily get internet radio stations (especially from England) integrated into the stereo system without having to use the PC.

kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Okay, it was just that you said 'ethernet' first up whereas it appears now you just want a connection, preferably wireless. Is that right?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor