Metcal: lost their minds

I just recently bought one of these for $100:

It beats dicking around with a soldering iron, which is what I always used to do.

My mini-review from S.E.R.:

Using the one of standard single nozzles it came with I was able to remove a 44 pin PLCC with no problems. Tried using the same nozzle to remove a 84 pin flat pack, but this didn't work, so I borrowed a nozzle specifically for that package from the place I work that has a Hakko and it worked perfectly. (Good to know that Hakko nozzles are interchangeable with this station.) I checked its output temperature with a thermocouple and the readings were within 2c of the set temperature of the station. No lifted pads or circuit board damage so far. Overall for the $100 price I'm quite happy with the station, and shipping was fast as well.

Reply to
JW

Magic desoldering metal? Color me ignorant; what is that?

Reply to
Robert Baer

.

er

..

It is an alloy of indium that has a really low melting point. You put it on a solder joint and it works like a solvent for the solder. It soaks away the solder and the part comes right off.

It works great

Reply to
MooseFET

Thanks. But expensive as all heck.