Metal locking tie, doe they hold up?

Thanks, that looks good. Strange that a pint costs 60% more at Spruce, that is usually a shop with good prices.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

this:

Like the old SS Chimney mounts? I had to drop a gas tank once, and broke the cheap galvanized OEM straps so I grabbed a Chimney mount set from my stock and used it on the truck.

Michael A. Terrell

Forgot to mention

1) A little goes a long ways 2) wear rubber gloves - throw away latex or nitrile 3) cover your work area with butcher paper or some such stuff, makes clean up easier 4) get some of the "popsicle" sticks for mixing and application. I think Spruce and Wicks carry them. 5) for what you are doing I think if you let it cure a little and thicken it will be easier to work with. 6) Mix and play with this stuff in the kitchen at your own peril. You have been warned ;)
--
Joe Chisolm
Reply to

this:

It would probably have outlasted the Chevy by a time factor of 50 :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Any problem with using actual cable ties? They come in a range of sizes and the bigger ones are strong enough to use as handcuffs.

Just saying.

"There's something vewy scwewy going on awound here." -- Elmer Fudd
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

big, ran

Found this:

ties, or

that

edges

your

impact.

and

at

everything

density

scissors.

needs i

other

shipping

Very like.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

big, ran

Found this:

ties, or

that

edges

your

impact.

and

at

everything

density

about

holes,

scissors.

needs i

other

shipping

Maybe, dunno. There are such things as vibration and fatigue.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

There are adhesives that are designed for this work, but I've seen some fall back on banding equipment. This usually to affix mechanical mounting hardware in part fab ( and to hold it while the varnish/adhesive dries in the part's fab). Your hardware would obviously have to include include solderable posts or screw receptors.

Wouldn't recommend banding the finished product as an assembly step. Too many problems possible, too late in the assembly method. A-kin to hand soldering.

RL

Reply to
legg

It was fatigue that damaged the galvanized straps. They crumbled when I started to remove the nuts from the brackets. I could have replaced them with galvanized, but I didn't stock them. With less than $1 difference in the wholesale costs, in quantity it didn't make sense to drive to the warehouse for a single set of the cheaper hardware once a year. We simply quoted SS hardware on all antenna installs. We also used coated guy wire instead of bare. Our installs lasted three to five times as long as the 'fly by night' and DIY installs.

It was a GMC handivan, not a Chevy. A lot of the body parts were galvanized, unlike the cheaper Chevy version.

Michael A. Terrell

this:

scissors.

It was one of those catch 22 situations. I needed to replace the straps before I could go get the OEM parts, so rather than patch it together with something that could have turned the truck into a fireball, I used the SS set. :)

Michael A. Terrell

They are plastic, dry out, become brittle and then snap. Seen it too many times, can't take that risk here.