Memristor

I have not had a chance to listen to this podcast yet, but apparently someone has found a device ("a forth fundamental passive circuit element") that solves some relationships between voltage, current and magnetic flux.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

From what I've read, the memristor doesn't involve magnetic flux.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

You're over a week late with this: news: snipped-for-privacy@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com

JeffM

The effect in the TiO2 HP parts isn't magnetic. It's a small resistor in which current flow moves dopants, which in turn changes the resistance. The "memristor" connection is interesting but not fundamental to the discovery or to its uses, if any. It could be a nice nv ram if things work out, sort of like the perennial Ovonics things, or the frams that you can buy now.

John

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's what I thought, too. Seems to me the hype is just someone wishing for a Nobel...

Be nice if it lives up to its potential, though.

--Damon

Reply to
Damon Hill

Since it looks like a vapor-deposited bulk fab process, it has a chance, unlike trying to fab and glue down a zillion nanotubes.

John

More links:

18:26, 14 November 2007 JeffDonner (Added article about new, promising, but not well-reported technology, 'memristor', a 4th basic circuit component. Feel free to wiki it up properly.)

Now how long before we see our new 100 GB non-volatile 10MB/s, 100 USD discs that manages to handle swap aswell as magnetic ones..? ;)

Flashmemory kind of suck at swap partitions..

Reply to
sky465nm

That and limited on the number of times for write if that is what you're referring to. I will be one of the first to step up and purchase one of these drives and need be, get a new PC to support it.

"

Reply to
Jamie