Measuring output impedance in LTSpice

On a sunny day (Sun, 03 Apr 2011 17:33:56 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

The danger there is that if somebody posts a text plain document that is NOT intended for LTspice it will start LTspice anyways. 'Text plain' is just that, ASCII text, and should go to an ASCII editor or display. So we need a new mime type, 'text LTspice'.

The rest is just undefined.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje
070604080302010003040205

Both can work AFAICS, although obviously newsreaders can differ.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

[snip]

Not that I really care, but Joerg's way...

Select text, copy text, open text editor, paste text, save as .asc, close; open file with LTspice.

Properly attached...

Right click on file name, click launch. ...Jim Thompson

It was atttached as plain ASCII, not a .ASC file.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

[snip]

Of course. But Joerg will never admit error, it's always some software issue. Besides, he's now trying to lay claim to the Larkin Seat for Obstinacy ;-) ...Jim Thompson

intended for LTspice it will start LTspice anyways.

display.

In Thunderbird it clearly shows the extension as *.asc, not *.txt. Software launching should not be based on file contents but on the file suffix. But yeah, if someone would use *.asc for a poem or a barbecue recipe then it's all screwed :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Jim Thompson expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It worked for me. :)

Reply to
Warren

Jim Thompson expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Using Xnews here: just had to save it with the "Launch" checkbox checked, and LTspice came up with it just fine.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Not here - nothing, inline or "attached".

--

John Devereux
Reply to

You couldn't see the attachment in this message...

On a sunny day (Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:19:18 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Here is a way to make ltspice start automatically for NewsFleX in Linux:

From the OPTIONS pulldown menu chose 'HELPERS'. In helpers add the following line: helper text plain swcad2 Click 'ACCEPT'.

Make a script /usr/local/sbin/swcad2 like this, modify it for where you keep wine and where you keep swcad:

# start script # copy diagram to ltspice dir /bin/cp $1 "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/LTC/SwCADIII/"

# change to ltspice dir cd "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/LTC/SwCADIII/"

# extract diagram from pathname DIAGRAM=/bin/echo $1 | awk 'BEGIN { FS="/" }{print $7}'

# start ltspice with diagram as argument wine scad3.exe "$DIAGRAM"

# end script

Make the script executable: chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/swcad2

Now ltspice will autostart with the diagram, it will stay up if you exit the newsreader. Use the LAUNCH button to start it the first time.

One problem, from this moment onwards anytime you select that posting it will just pop up the diagram, So to see the original text too, go to the OPTIONS pulldown menu, and push the 'descr. popup' button, so it says YES. Now the text of the article, if there was any, will pop up in a separate window. So you can see that too if you want. This feature was originally added for pictures in binary groups of course. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje
070604080302010003040205

Yup, I did forward the message to Thunderbird and got the same non-launch.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Yes, I do agree :) Much quicker, but then I'm used to transferring from windoze email to/from unix text, so I do the copy/paste dance in a trance.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

it.

Jan, are you maintaining NewsFleX? I mean, it's up to date? Since I've been using Agent for so long one of the things tying me to windows is finding a decent (like Agent, or easy to learn) newsreader for Linux ;)

those.

closest one ever gets to agent.

ltspice'.

helper list.

form of an amendment to the appropriate rfc.

use that.

Well, that's how the discussion arose, Jim T. is trying to save seconds per day :) Older you get, the more precious your time is?? I'm starting to feel that way and I'm decades younger than Jim.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I do that all the time as well. But Joerg needed his blather tamed ;-) ...Jim Thompson

intended for LTspice it will start LTspice anyways.

display.

Jim: Try Right-click Joerg's message, then Open Attachment Folder -> Double-click Diodenpulser_4.asc

Message was saved, not flagged as launchable, so at least there's no need for the copy/paste dance.

So possibly the text/plain type needs to be something else?

Note too, the many signatureNN.asc files in that folder. Double-click to have LTSpice throw an error, for fun? Not!

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

intended for LTspice it will start LTspice anyways.

display.

Or... to put in Program Files/LTC/SWCADIII/Examples/SED, much scrolling and crap :-(

Whereas, right click to launch, save-as if you like it, otherwise ignore ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Weird. Not just your experience with it, but several different posters have reported different results.

I wonder if it is a news server issue, or a news reader issue, or perhaps some configuration setting on the PC. For me it shows up as an .asc extension in the Attachments: window. But I can't launch it correctly. (Using Thunderbird 1.0.2). When I try, I get a Spice Error - Multiple instances of "Flag". I get the same error on the one Phil sent when I try to launch his, so it is some kind of local error in my configuration, as Jim has success launching from with Phil's post.

If I save the file (either Joerg's or Phil's) by right click, save to disk, I can double click on the saved file and it opens properly in LTSPice.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I have the same problem. You are probably seeing the text file even though LTSpice is loading the file. That is, LTS is loading the file as a text file rather than an asc file. Look at the file name in the upper left corner after LTS loads it and responds with the error message. On mine it shows name(dot)asc(dot)txt. Somehow, TB is appending .txt before handing it off to LTS, I think.

I don't know how to fix this.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:59:31 +1000) it happened Grant wrote in :

it.

Yes, as I am using it all the time, it is up to date in the sense that I added some user requests, It does what it has to do, and is great on low bandwidth links (offline reader). I do not understand why anyone would use a different reader, Hardly any changes were needed and made in the last few years. There is even a version for the early eeePC. I am amazed that anyone would pay for a newsreader like agent and MS windows of course. While all good stuff is free, like Linux and NewsFleX. And you have the source and can modify it too.

Installing NewsFleX is very easy, using the basic functions is even easier. There are older functions that could get websites and URLs, ftp is supported too, but these days all web browsers will do that for you, and there is now 'wget', so I am not using those features, and, as html changed a lot over time, they probably wont work.

those.

closest one ever gets to agent.

ltspice'.

the helper list.

form of an amendment to the appropriate rfc.

and use that.

It is purely theoretical, if you are happy doing it that way or happy doing it the other way is what counts. Time spend happy is time used well.

For me a bit of programming is fun, just like designing some stuff. But happiness is an internal experience, a state of being, so from that POV it does not really matter what you do, just make sure you are in harmony with yourself. To be in harmony with this world is not possible, in fact if I read the news I see madness and war everywhere, without reason, as if some fuse blew, or maybe some feedback circuit failed. From a larger perspective maybe where the universe is going, who am I to argue. Like the storm and rain comes an goes, to be in harmony with the infinite is the way out, but also we are just a part of the motion of things, things so big. So, maybe WW3 is coming, this all is just a pre-amble, not going to be pretty. But in spite of all those dark clouds gathering we can be very happy having fun with our toys. hehe :-) Now ain't that great? What more can one wish for.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje