Output impedance calculation

The DDR SDRAM controller in I.MX25 micro has the following characteristics as per its datasheet/reference manual.

=E2=80=9CFor DDRTYPE=3D00 (DDR2 or mDDR) at 25o C in the typical case, the following drive strengths can be referenced: Standard (3.6 mA), High (7.2 mA), Max (10.8 mA) with equivalent impedances of 90ohm, 45ohm, and 20ohm=EF=80=A0respectively.=E2=80=9D

It also has the logic levels of min 1.44v (0.8 * 1.8v VDD) for Voh (High) and max 0.36v (0.2* 1.8v VDD) for Vol (Low).

The selected drive strength, for example, is 3.6 mA at an impedance of

90ohm. If we apply ohm=E2=80=99s law with logic high voltage of 1.44v and impedance of 90 ohm the source current should be 16 mA but it is 3.6 mA as per the datasheet. What is wrong with my calculation?

The data sheets of most of the microcontrollers do not specify the output impedance at their digital I/O and peripheral pins. So I need to calculate the output impedance (Zo) for impedance matching the PCB traces. How do I know the output impedance (Zo) if it is not explicitly given in the datasheets.

-B

Reply to
Bhavani

First, if you shorted the output to ground you may well get 16mA, not

3.6mA. Second, the output impedance is a measure of the change in output voltage for a small change in output current; it's not intended nor necessarily accurate as a measure of gross voltage and current changes. Third, 1.8V - (90 ohms)(3.6mA) is surprisingly close to your 1.44V output voltage at 3.6mA -- so maybe that quoted output impedance works for high currents after all.

If the microcontroller is sufficiently fast it should say. If it doesn't, and if it's CMOS (are there any these days that aren't?), then the output impedance can be roughly calculated from the voltage drop divided by the current at that drop. The data sheet -- unless it's truly horrid -- will quote current source/sink capabilities at certain voltages. Calculate the voltage drop, divide by current -- voila! Output impedance.

I'm used to matching impedance to traces with termination resistors -- this built-in matching in the chip is new to me.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

the

nd

utput

=C2=A0

truly

=C2=A0

Thanks Tim. But, let's say, if the driver's output impedance is 50 ohm and I am sending my schematic for layout. For impedance matching, do I need to add the 50 ohm series resistors in the schematic and send it for layout without bothering pcb trace impeance matching while fabricating or impedance match the pcb traces while fabrication and not make any provision for series termination resistors during schematic and layout preparation? I basically do not understand when to use which option.

-B

Reply to
Bhavani

If the output impedance is 50 ohm you certainly don't want to add another 50 ohms in series *and* have 50 ohm traces. If the nets are point-to-point (no taps) just match the trace impedance to the device output impedance. If the net is multi-drop it's going to get ugly anyway and a small series resistor somewhere in the net may be necessary. It may not go where you think it should, though. This can be a real PITA.

Reply to
krw