Measuring fluctuations of earth's magnetic fields inside a pc ?

XTs had integrated monitors, and an XT is even past this dope's speed.

Reply to
CellShocked

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

More dimbulb bullshit. The only ones that did were a few clones, where everything but the keyboard was in one case like the early Compaq.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

No

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

In alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi message , Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:18:08, snipped-for-privacy@cam.ac.uk posted:

Yes; it contains motors and coils of wire. Take a fast constant-speed motor with a vertical shaft, extend that shaft with a rod of a good electrical conductor with a hole drilled through it diagonally. Symmetrically around the hole, put a non-rotating coil coaxial with the shaft, and measure the voltage induced in the coil. If the PC has a disc read magnetically, that system will contain a sensitive amplifier.

I have done that, a stone's throw SW of what is now the RRUTC, admittedly with a rather larger field.

For similar reasons, it would be good to have approximately half of the world driving on the left and approximately half on the right.

--
 (c) John Stockton, near London. *@merlyn.demon.co.uk/?.?.Stockton@physics.org
 Web   - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

What do you expect from ALwaysWrong?

The IBM "Luggable" was also in a case much like that early Compaq. It looked a lot like it, in fact.

Reply to
krw

Could you diagram that and describe the theory of operation?

Reply to
Greegor

Otherwise, collisions would be sure to arise.

Random segments of code... -from IRobot

Reply to
CellShocked

It's kind of like optical interferometry. The angled hole in the rotating shaft causes an observable perturbation.

That takes place in the current flux orientation. That becomes your baseline. Now move the device and observe slight differences in the baseline observed 'waveform(s)'. The is due to the device now being in a different place, with respect to Earth's field.

One could use it to locate flux line positions, and it can be used for orientation and alignment along those lines.

I am sure there are other things which can be observed, and things which can be quantified as well.

That's my guess.

They guy that proposed it would surely know the real operating model and processes.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Compaq wasn't the only company to clone another company's design. :)

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi message , Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:02:23, Greegor posted:

The conducting outside of the hole is equivalent to a one-turn coil with a horizontal axis connected with a one-turn coil with a vertical axis. The latter couples by transformer action with the fixed coil.

If the hole were removed, there would clearly by symmetry be no net effect remaining on the fixed coil.

Therefore, if the rotating holeless conductor were to be removed and the ex-hole replaced by a corresponding amount of conductor, there should be an equivalent effect of the opposite instantaneous sign. That I did not try.

The conductivity of the material, in either case, should be such that the skin depth at the frequency of rotation is significantly less than the thickness of the conductor. For copper, the skin depth at 1 kHz is I believe about 2 mm; it goes inversely as the square toot of the frequency.

--
 (c) John Stockton, near London. *@merlyn.demon.co.uk/?.?.Stockton@physics.org
 Web   - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
 Correct
Reply to
Dr J R Stockton

Crikey! Another pompous ass. Trying to pick off Larkin from the top spot ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | With Half My Brain Tied Behind My Back Still More Clever Than Mr.Prissy Pants

Is there ever a day when you are not acting like a total retard?

Oh, wait! It's not an act! Bwuahahahahahaha!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

And the KRW asswipe had to research that to get it right too.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Always so wrong, AlwaysWrong. I owned an original 5150 and had several of all varieties of 5150s, '60s, and '70s at work.

Reply to
krw

You're right, but I only saw one with that motherboard. it belonged to one of the IBM engineers involved in the design. It was a prototype, and they gave it to him when he retired. I repaired it for him, and converted it to 64 KB so I could remove the three 16 KB memory cards. the old man had tears of joy when I showed him the computer. He needed a replacement floppy drive controller and no other shop had any. One told him to toss the piece of shit in the dumpster and spend $1400 on a new Pentium.

I think I still have two PC series in storage, along with a few untouched XTs. Most of the XTs are IBM, but there is one clone.

I converted a lot of the 256 KB XT motherboards to 640 KB by adding the missing IC, and soldering across the missing two pin header.

Michael A. Terrell

I still have my original (March '82) model of the PC with the original MB. I bought it with 48KB (the minimum "first-day" employee system). With one single-sided floppy, both display cards and a monochrome monitor the employee price was $2500.

I converted a pile of 'em at work. We used 64K memory that had come off "life" test so it was free, and well burned in. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I was using 256 KB pulls from scrapped Unisys memory cards. We were processing hundreds of them, with 144 64 KB or 256 KB DRAM to prepare them for recovery of the precious metals. This was during the 256 KB RAM shortage, so I sold thousands of good used 256 KB RAM ICs for $2.75 each, by the tube. I removed them with a six inch solder pot & a small pair of 'Channel Locks'. I would skim the pot and dip the leads back in clean solder, then tap the 'Channel Locks' on the edge of the solder pot, leaving the leads freshly tinned. I could do about 400 41256 RAM chips in eight hours. :)

Michael A. Terrell

I meant 256K. We were getting the ones the mainframe guys were using (mostly Hitachi, IIRC).

We got them by the hundreds. Free and no work at all. ;-)

krw

We had to do certified destruction on these boards, and were paid to do it. :)

Michael A. Terrell