Math expr. complex signals

I have been using a GUI audio editing program to generate repetitive AM and FM signals of varying complexity, eg. simultaneous AM and FM with defined deviation, voltage levels, gating intervals, etc.

I am finding the audio bandwidth a bit limited for my application and was wondering about the possibility of using mathematical expressions in MatLab or similar. However, I am unsure about the viability and learning curve for complex signals.

So I can see what I am getting myself into (maybe), can someone familliar with this technique provide an expression for the following signal?

A 400Hz sine wave frequency modulated at 100Hz with a 10Hz deviation, amplitude modulated 50% by a 10Hz sawtooth wave, and "gated" with a

180 degree phase shift at 40Hz.

Or something to that effect for demo purposes.

Trevor Little

Reply to
Trevor Little

This will do all that, to 32 MHz, in hardware!

(well, it will as soon as I finish the firmware)

John

This does what you asked for (as I understood it) in Matlab, and plays it. It sounds miserable, by the way.

% set up time axis: %(top is in seconds; step set for 44.1 kHz sample rate) top = 10; step = 1 / 44100; t = 0:step:top;

% generate carrier: fc = 400; % carrier frequency %baseSig = cos(2 * pi * fc * t); (NOT USED.)

% generate frequency modulated carrier: fm = 100; % FM modulation frequency md = 10; % maximum deviation b = md / fm; % modulation index fmSig = cos(2 * pi * fc * t + b * 2 * pi * fm * t);

% apply sawtooth amplitude modulation: amf = 10; % am modulating frequency amx = 0.5; % amplitude modulation index stw = sawtooth(amf * 2 * pi * t); % plot(t,stw) to verify amfmSig = (1 + amx .* stw) .* fmSig;

% apply 40 Hz "gated" inversion: sqSig = square(2 * pi * 40 * t); % plot(t,sqSig) to verify

finalSig = amfmSig .* sqSig; %plot(t, finalSig) to verify

wavplay(finalSig, 44100);

--
John
Reply to